E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
DME, LCM programming on the E46

Hi guys, I am looking for software to have more control over my cars beyond what bmw scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) will allow me to do. I am looking to program my LCM to allow me to use LED tail lights in particular.

Would you say I can accomplish this by using this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...item4cf9b475a7

I am just a bit confused since there seem to be so many products out there... and many of them do the same things. DIS, SSS, INPA, NCIS, GT1, Carsoft, EDIABAS etc etc Where do I begin?

Would appreciate if someone could clarifiy.... or dumb this down for me!

e46 328Ci 9psi SC

Last edited by Vic328CSi; 11-12-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
that link would work to code everything you need and more.

carsoft/pasoft are really basic, and can only do limited things.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Vic328CSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
that link would work to code everything you need and more.

carsoft/pasoft are really basic, and can only do limited things.
awesome! i was hoping someone would say that... since i already ordered it! have an appointment to get my lcm programmed at a shop, guess ill just cancel that for now.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
go here for further info . . . .
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=233

All you need is there, materials / info / help

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Vic328CSi

hey guys, I am in the process of installing the software on my laptop. so far so good, it came with detailed instructions. my only problem is with the bmw diaghead emulator program. when i run it, immediately gives me a registry error saying access to registry key hkey_local_machine/software/bmw/Diagheademul is denied. i checked my registry, this folder does not exist. I tried reinstalling bmw diaghead, no effect.

could someone help me out by dumping the contents of their /bmw/diagheademul registry contents so i can enter it manually?

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 12-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Chaos1187

My Ride: 01' 325i M54 BMW
Was wondering how this is going for u I was wanting to DataLog on my car (2001 E46 3 series) I was shown a similar product (USB Cable and Disc with Euro Plug Included) on ebay. But this one also looks like a winner. Interested to hear about any updates on your progresss / outcome with program itself as well.
Chaos1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Vic328CSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos1187 View Post
Was wondering how this is going for u I was wanting to DataLog on my car (2001 E46 3 series) I was shown a similar product (USB Cable and Disc with Euro Plug Included) on ebay. But this one also looks like a winner. Interested to hear about any updates on your progresss / outcome with program itself as well.
It actually comes with great instructions, written and video on steps to install and run it, which is a god send for a n00b to this stuff like me. I recommend this seller. It shipped from Romania.

My problem was that I was trying this on a new windows 7 pc, and thats an issue since its not compatible. In the process of installing it on a old Xp machine. Ill update when its done.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
alex230ro

My Ride: BMW 325ti compact
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic328CSi View Post
It actually comes with great instructions, written and video on steps to install and run it, which is a god send for a n00b to this stuff like me. I recommend this seller. It shipped from Romania.

My problem was that I was trying this on a new windows 7 pc, and thats an issue since its not compatible. In the process of installing it on a old Xp machine. Ill update when its done.
you have a option in Windows 7 to run the program Visa or Xp compatibile,any way the diag emul program that y have works on windows 7
alex230ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #9
Vic328CSi

ahh that might have helped. I converted an old xp laptop to run all this stuff, stripped xp to bare bones so it runs faster.

So i got to using these applications this evening, and after some tinkering with settings, I got INPA, DIS, Progman, NCS Expert all working with the car. Progman game me the most trouble, but figured it out.

Ok so that was the easy part. After some more research, I am able to somewhat understand what im doing with NCS Expert.

So my goal is to turn off DRL and add OEM LED Taillights to this car. I looked thru FSW_PSW for this car and I found these, and I know every car is slightly different. Would there be 3 items that control DRL to be enabled??

FERNLICHT_DRL Not sure, but it has drl in it. fern licht is "away light" ?
GED_FL_ALS_DRL "Dimmed High beams as running lights"
TAGFAHRLICHT "Daytime running lights"

Do I just need to nicht_aktiv just the last one?

Now to address the LED Tails, I couldnt find anything that referred to them directly, I found this one.

FLC_LED_AKTIV nicht_aktiv Anyone know what this is??

Someone said to turn errors off, I need to disable the warm/cold tests, so do i deactivate both brake light and rear turn signals?

KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BL cold test brake lights

KALTUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_HI cold test turn signals

WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BL warm test brake lights

WARMUEBERWACHUNG_BLK_HI warm test brake lights

I know there is a different way to go about it, I also read about adding "-LEDH" to me VO, but honestly could not find anyone actually sharing details about how to accomplish this.

Sorry about the long post, ive been obsessing with this all evening. Im excited and overwhelmed at the same time!!

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Chaos1187

Sounds awesome man, sucks that I got windows 7 too then :/

01' HellRotRed E46 M54
Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Chaos1187

I was noticing on the link to that part it says it works with 32bit system not 64 bit was that your problem or did it not work with windows 7 at all??
Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
alex230ro

why don't you try to code with DIS/Progman?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
Vic328CSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex230ro View Post
why don't you try to code with DIS/Progman?

Was able to download a few manuals for ncs expert and its making more sense to me thats why im going that route for now.

i just dont know what menu or what button to press in progman to do anything. I connected to the car, and read the modules. once i selected LSZ the only two options were coding and retrofit? no clue where to proceed with progman.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
alex230ro

hmmm
read this

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1401774
Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
Vic328CSi

I took your advice and tried using progman.

I was partially sucessful. I did this but still have one issue the bulb out warning on the cluster.

Selected Chassis > Change SW > Retrofit Installed? N > Retrofits > Rear Tail LED > Added

Then progman sucessfully encoded the VO and finished the process. I turned off the car, turned it back on to check. The LED Tails operate correctly with no flicker BUT the cluster still indicates that my tail bulbs are out.

When I was about to do this with the dealer a month ago, they told me that they needed 2hrs because sometimes they have to do it twice??

When I go back into the Retrofits menu, this time there are two other options "Rear Lights New" and "Rear White Lamps" also available.

Any suggestions?

BTW I bought this kit from a guy in romania, its not you is it?

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #16
alex230ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic328CSi View Post
I took your advice and tried using progman.

I was partially sucessful. I did this but still have one issue the bulb out warning on the cluster.

Selected Chassis > Change SW > Retrofit Installed? N > Retrofits > Rear Tail LED > Added

Then progman sucessfully encoded the VO and finished the process. I turned off the car, turned it back on to check. The LED Tails operate correctly with no flicker BUT the cluster still indicates that my tail bulbs are out.

When I was about to do this with the dealer a month ago, they told me that they needed 2hrs because sometimes they have to do it twice??

When I go back into the Retrofits menu, this time there are two other options "Rear Lights New" and "Rear White Lamps" also available.

Any suggestions?

BTW I bought this kit from a guy in romania, its not you is it?
no is not me,if you said that you deactivated hot and cold bulb check it should work ,it's weird that you get that light on the dash
Old 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #17
Vic328CSi

Problem solved, I overlooked a couple of cold bulb tests that I thought were insignificant with regards to the brake/turn lights. I went back in and deactivated ALL cold/warm tests this time and the bulb out warning disappeared.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 12-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #18
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Try one out and see if it works, if not try the other one.

IMAG02051

Last edited by darksideracer69; 12-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #19
Vic328CSi

found the answer!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1709383

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #20
Chaos1187

Vic...

Will this same program you bought work on my 01' 325i E46 M54?? Please respond. Nobodies responding to my thread anymore :'(