E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
msgjuba

My Ride: 2003 330i
Engine Problem

Hey,

I was hoping someone could help me diagnose a possible engine problem with my '03 330i that has about 170k.

About 10k ago my engine light started going on and off intermittently but I had no problems so I just ignored it. Then, the other day I started my car, and the whole car was vibrating from what seemed to be the engine bay. The engine light was on. I revved the engine a bit, and the faster the engine revved the faster the car seemed to vibrate. I started to drive down the block a bit to get a feel for what was going on. I could tell the engine wasn't putting out a lot of power, and there was a bit of a lag when stepping on the accelerator, especially in the low-RPM range. I eventually just turned off the car and back on again, everything was back to fine. The engine light has since turned off.

I'm thinking that maybe one of the cylinders wasn't firing, which would explain the power loss and the unbalanced engine. I don't want to bring it into the mechanic yet because I'm thinking they can't really get much from the computer unless the engine light is on, so they'll just guess at the problem, at a huge cost to myself.

Is there anything I can do by myself, that is cheap and not to complicated, that might fix the problem? I was thinking maybe just checking and replacing the spark plugs. I'm thinking this could also be a problem with one of the sensors. Are there any common sensor that are prone to failures that are easy to replace by oneself?

Thanks for any help,
John

Last edited by msgjuba; 11-19-2011 at 04:44 PM.
msgjuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
when was the last time you replaced the sparkplugs?
what kind of maintenance you have done so far?
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Replacing the spark plugs wont do anything. If your plugs were bad your car wouldnt run bad then good all of a sudden.
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurer View Post
Replacing the spark plugs wont do anything. If your plugs were bad your car wouldnt run bad then good all of a sudden.
ok, if you say so. go check any vacuum leaks and operation of the DIAS and VANOS.
also have the code read including any pending codes.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
LA Prince
Banned User

My Ride: Not Your Business
Can't tell anything from nothing, just check the codes when the lights comes back.
LA Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
maurer

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
ok, if you say so. go check any vacuum leaks and operation of the DIAS and VANOS.
also have the code read including any pending codes.
Not trying to bash your post but plugs either work or they don't
maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurer View Post
Not trying to bash your post but plugs either work or they don't
oh rly? you think?
what about fouled plugs? what about oil soaked plugs? what about rusted plugs?
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
oh rly? you think?
what about fouled plugs? what about oil soaked plugs? what about rusted plugs?
None of that is relevant when it is in fact a coil gone bad.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Kwaz

My Ride: 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
None of that is relevant when it is in fact a coil gone bad.
This too, do a search, you can test your coils packs to see if they're good. Spark plugs are way cheaper than coils tho

Soy el pecador y voy a hacer un desmadre
y al que no le guste que chingue su madre
Kwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaz View Post
Spark plugs are way cheaper than coils tho
Well a burger is cheaper than a set of spark plugs, perhaps the op should get a burger instead ?
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Kwaz

My Ride: 323I
+1 jasonbimmer could be plugs. Hard to say with out codes but you can also check the MAF(clean it with maf cleaner like $7) but overall, it sounds just like my car when my ccv hose cracked. Also look at the intake tubes behind your MAF the elbow is notorious for cracking and they're like $12. Each

Soy el pecador y voy a hacer un desmadre
y al que no le guste que chingue su madre
Kwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #12
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
OP needs to go to autozone and get his codes read. Whether or not the check engine light is on, the computer should have the codes stored. At this point everyone is just throwing out possible causes to the vibration, mainly guess work. Go get the codes read and then report back and we can give you a better idea of what to look for/at.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
msgjuba

About those questions, not looking for a detailed response, just trying to prepare myself for what this might cost in a worse case scenario.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
msgjuba

deleted

Last edited by msgjuba; 11-19-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #15
ginpunk

My Ride: E46
'juba, mine did the same thing, last weekend. Bad coil, $68 US at the dealer. Fixed in 20 minutes. Check the url below and see how you can diagnose. It was easy.

ginpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #16
msgjuba

ginpunk, thanks, that was really helpful. How bad were your vibrations? I could feel the whole car shaking from my driver's seat. It's hard to tell how much it's actually shaking from that video.

After reading more about ICV/DISA, that might explain a power loss, but that wouldn't explain the shaking as it would affect all cylinders. I don't totally understand how the CCV works but it only seems to be crankcase ventilation for blow-by exhaust, so I'm not sure why that would cause the car to shake either, or why it would cause a power loss. If I'm wrong, could someone please explain how ICV, DISA, or CCV could cause the engine to vibrate?

Last edited by msgjuba; 11-19-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgjuba View Post
Hey,

I was hoping someone could help me diagnose a possible engine problem with my '03 330i that has about 170k.

About 10k ago my engine light started going on and off intermittently but I had no problems so I just ignored it. Then, the other day I started my car, and the whole car was vibrating from what seemed to be the engine bay. The engine light was on. I revved the engine a bit, and the faster the engine revved the faster the car seemed to vibrate. I started to drive down the block a bit to get a feel for what was going on. I could tell the engine wasn't putting out a lot of power, and there was a bit of a lag when stepping on the accelerator, especially in the low-RPM range. I eventually just turned off the car and back on again, everything was back to fine. The engine light has since turned off.

I'm thinking that maybe one of the cylinders wasn't firing, which would explain the power loss and the unbalanced engine. I don't want to bring it into the mechanic yet because I'm thinking they can't really get much from the computer unless the engine light is on, so they'll just guess at the problem, at a huge cost to myself.

Is there anything I can do by myself, that is cheap and not to complicated, that might fix the problem? I was thinking maybe just checking and replacing the spark plugs. I'm thinking this could also be a problem with one of the sensors. Are there any common sensor that are prone to failures that are easy to replace by oneself?

Thanks for any help,
John
You are flat out wrong!!!

You car stores every single code that ever came up as a fault. If your engine light even blinked once, the codes will be stored until they are deleted. Even if your engine light NEVER blinked once , you may still have some fault codes stored.

To think that anyone can diagnose a car's vibration over the internet without knowing a SINGLE thing about the car/problem/maintenance, without seeing any pictures, video , audio is absolutely absurd and you must be out of your mind just to think that.

Get your car read. Pull the codes and go from there, not a single person on this planet can diagnose a car without knowing whats going on with it. You can go to a "we fix all cars" shop and they will be using a generic china sh1t scan tool that'll bring up some codes that can mean many different things, depending on whos going to translate them from Chinese to English.

Or you can go to a qualified BMW technician and who;ll be using proper diagnostic tools to properly and accurately diagnose your car. This way you can ensure that the diagnosis is as accurate as it can be.

It gets me everytime that I see there are still people who think you can just fix a car over the web without knowing whats wrong with it.

Or you can guess all you want, you can keep blindly replacing/cleaning random parts in your car if you want to. Its your money and your car.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 11-19-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #18
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
I am just amazed at people keeping driving their car with the engine light on without reading the codes, because they have "no" problems with the car until the inevitable end.

Before we provide any help I think a bit of driver education or common sense is needed.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #19
ginpunk

My Ride: E46
Juba, the car shaking was horrible. Sort of like the coin-op bed I once slept on in El Paso. JK, although, my car started yelling at me and threw the SES. If it was a dead coil, there'd be a code most likely.
ginpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #20
msgjuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginpunk View Post
Juba, the car shaking was horrible. Sort of like the coin-op bed I once slept on in El Paso. JK, although, my car started yelling at me and threw the SES. If it was a dead coil, there'd be a code most likely.
Yeah, that is sort of like mine was shaking, my guess right now is one of the coils. I'll find out for sure when I find someone who can read the codes (emphasis added to avoid internet hate).

Tags
cylinder, engine, not firing, power loss, vibration