E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
abuzar1

My Ride: 01 M3
Someone slashed my top

Hey guys I just bought an 01 M3 vert very recently. I parked at outside my friends apartment one night and someone slashed the top to get inside it. They didn't manage to steal the car but obviously the top is slashed and they also cut the seats on the way out

Now my question is this... I found a whole FRAME for an 01 330Ci with a black top on it in good condition. Can I just swap out frames?
abuzar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
kimfogs

My Ride: 'Vert
File a comprehensive claim w insurance co

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
Old 01-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
abuzar1

I was using my uncles dealer plate. The insurance won't cover it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Pheonix

My Ride: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuzar1 View Post
I was using my uncles dealer plate. The insurance won't cover it.
Get a new policy with a different company while you at it. Insurance should cover the car (Using Vehicle Identification Number) regardless of the status of your plate or registration at the time of the incident
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
abuzar1

Won't insurance companies check the damage before insuring me? I thought that was standard procedure. Not to mention this sounds like it would be insurance fraud which is unethical.

Does anyone know about just swapping the frame with the headliner and top already attached?

Last edited by abuzar1; 01-27-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Pheonix

My Ride: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Won't insurance companies check the damage before insuring me? I thought that was standard procedure. Not to mention this sounds like it would be insurance fraud which is unethical.

Does anyone know about just swapping the frame with the headliner and top already attached?
Yes, the new insurance company might required inspection prior to start a new policy (and yes, it is illegal and unethical for you to treat them as well). What i am saying is that you are screwed with the current policy but you should try to get find a company whom will start the policy as soon as you pay them. I bought sevaral cars out of states, some i used temp plates, some i just drove home but i always made sure my policy started at 12:00AM on the day i got the car.
Pheonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Schneldorff

My Ride: BMW 330ci Con.
Quote:

If you knew how the insurance companies are screwing you you probably wouldn't mind. Their rates makes up for things like this as well as uninsured motorist. Kind of like Obamanomics.
Schneldorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
gbakerkingston

My Ride: 2004 330ci Vert
Look up part number at realoem.com. If both are same part number you are likely okay. If different part numbers, likely not interchangeable.
gbakerkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
abuzar1

Thank you. It should be a simple unplug all connections bolt in procedure? Someone was telling me about sensors or something like that. Just thought I'd ask if you guys know anything about any sensors getting messed up while changing out the whole frame.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Irishdb

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneldorff View Post
Never in my 50 years has an insurance company inspected my autos. I've probably owned close to 20 over the years and have had almost every company in the US at one time or another. Hell my son totaled 4 cars in one year.

Most companies also cover any car you buy even if you haven't notified them yet for the first 48 hrs. Most times even longer. I was rear ended on the way home in the snow from the dealer after buying a Mustang. I was sure I was screwed but GEICO came through.
This is my experience also. Inspected - we're not driving Bugatti's!!

- Danny
Old 01-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to change the frame, but it is BMW so you never know. Look for a DIY on that maybe?

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Redline4

My Ride: 02' 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Redline4
I'm with nationwide and I got insurance with them online and so far i've had 4 cars and not once did they need to inspect the car before getting the insurance. Secondly the frame is the same for both models. part number 54317030541