E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
john311tran

My Ride: awd + 5 doors
time to put in some new shocks

hey folks,

first time with bmw shocks.. in fact, first time changing a rear shock on any car. i've done front shocks on my gf's vw jetta before so i have an idea as what i'm doing but i'll find a few diy's on this forum.

my question.

i currently have a 325xiT wagon. i've seen countless threads on shock spring combo and yadda yadda.

the thing is, i'm not looking for a pimp ride. my wagon is my dd (until i can get my m3) and i spend a lot of time backpacking, snowboarding, lugging around 2-3 people and a dog. i don't need anything lower.

currently my car has ridden pretty harsh since i've gotten it. i suspect the shocks were on their way out and are now pretty much gone.

i'm debating a few things. do i go OEM or do i go aftermarket. if i do go OEM do i go with sports or the regular?

i'm assuming with the sport shocks i'll need to pick up the sport springs. will i be able to run rear sports with front regulars? if so what kind of ride will that give me? overall the sport shocks will give me a stiffer/firmer/more responsive ride than the regular shocks and ride a bit lower?

what about aftermarket. if i'm looking for a responsive ride but not have a serious drop to it (i'm ok with 1 or so inch drop from stock, but nothing more)

all information is appreciated.

bests,

john
john311tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...-cup-kits.aspx
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenluczynski View Post
None of these fit xi models.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
stevenluczynski

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Damn I missed the XI part sorry!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
john311tran

i'm assuming that's for a set of 4. i only need the rears, but i guess i might as well do all 4. a lot more than i wanted to spend though :-(
Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
stevenluczynski

The cup kit is the best bang for the buck for keeping the Oem feel, Switching rear shocks without the fronts is never a good idea as well as mixing and matching, It can lead to undesirable handling effects
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
john311tran

what about these:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ock%20Absorber

seems like a significantly cheaper alternative?

john
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
stevenluczynski

Quote:
Originally Posted by john311tran View Post
what about these:

john
If you're not switching springs they seem like a good idea, but I would advise on switching all four shocks. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
what about these:

john
They are OEM so they should work fine. Your rear springs are probably shot/rusted out too.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
john311tran

what about going from regular to sport shocks.. i'm assuming i will need sport springs as well right? i want to most likely stick with OEM. germans know what they were doing when they were building the 325xi.

john
Old 02-22-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
what is this crap?
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
what about going from regular to sport shocks.. i'm assuming i will need sport springs as well right? i want to most likely stick with OEM. germans know what they were doing when they were building the 325xi.

john
For the Xi, there is no difference between sport and non-sport in terms of OE suspension. It is all the same high riding soft suspension. The Germans definitely knew what they were doing, they were giving you extra ground clearance for "situations you may encounter due to ownership of AWD".

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
^ This.

Get Koni yellow adjustables and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Buy both from Tire Rack. Also replace your upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts, and any hardware removed during the install (upper strut bolts, pinch bolts, upper shock bolts, rear shock gasket, etc). You are also going to need an alignment done when you complete this job.

This is going to cost you ~$1k when you're all done.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
Espeedy

My Ride: 2001 330Xi
Get Koni yellow adjustables and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. Buy both from Tire Rack. Also replace your upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts, and any hardware removed during the install (upper strut bolts, pinch bolts, upper shock bolts, rear shock gasket, etc). You are also going to need an alignment done when you complete this job.
This is going to cost you ~$1k when you're all done.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same situation. 2001 330Xi with 61K miles but I already have the Eibach springs. Where do I get the "upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts?" I'll take it to Brake Masters for the alignment.
Espeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
Does anyone know if the xit's have the same issue as xi's with broken rear springs?

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickna View Post
Does anyone know if the xit's have the same issue as xi's with broken rear springs?
They use the same springs so probably? I have no idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeedy View Post
I'm in the same situation. 2001 330Xi with 61K miles but I already have the Eibach springs. Where do I get the "upper strut mounts, upper shock mounts, the upper and lower rubber bits on the front struts?" I'll take it to Brake Masters for the alignment.
Dealership, pelican parts, getbmwparts, thebmwpartstore, ECS tuning...choices are endless.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
john311tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post
what is this crap?
just trying to figure out what works with my car, that's all.

john
Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
saltycdawg

My Ride: 02 325xi; 02 Duramax
Will an E39 M3 complete suspension fit on the E39 XI? So I kept reading, and hit the suspension thread; it pretty much says the only thing that works is the rear shocks.

The front suspension on our XI's will not interchange with a RWD car?

Last edited by saltycdawg; 02-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
saltycdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #18
john311tran

what is so special about the koni adjustables... i'm assuming the ride height is adjustable?

as stated before, i've never dealt with this type of shock/strut. i've done repairs/fixes but they were always oem stuff, slap off, slap on, no alignment etc required.

john
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
^softness/firmness adjustable, not height. In your position, I'd probably just go OEM.

See the link in my sig for a parts list.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
^softness/firmness adjustable, not height. In your position, I'd probably just go OEM.

See the link in my sig for a parts list.
^ Yup, this is the difference. Only advantage is that if you want to go to a "sport" style suspension while maintaining a daily driver feel, the Eibachs are really the only way to go. If the sport doesn't matter to you, then go OEM.