E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Fluids for Track

Simple question.

I know OEM Brake fluid shouldn't be used because it has boiled before in our cars while on the track.

What should I replace it with? Making purchases shortly for Oil, just wondering what other fluids I should plan on replacing prior to DD, autocross, and HPDE season.

Last edited by Locutus09; 02-22-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Locutus09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
For HPDEs - I use RBF600.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I'd drain and replace coolant if it's been in there more than 2 years. Same for power steering fluid, though draining that is a hassle because you have to unbolt one of the hoses from the rack or pump (or you can do the fluid exchange method). I would change manual transmission fluid and diff fluid every two years or 30,000 miles, but others change those anywhere from every season to every 60,000 miles (or every 100,000 miles if they don't track the car).

I did my first several track days on fresh generic Kragen/O'reilly DOT 4 brake fluid. I only got fade once and I think that was due to using street pads. But back then I was really slow. Then I switched to Ate Typ 200/Gold. It's not as boil resistant as the fancy Motul or Castrol stuff, but seems more than enough for my modest power levels. Of course Alan is rocking an M3 and drives at VIR, where I hear good drivers can get to the top of 5th gear, so maybe he has to handle more heat! (I never get past 120mph or 4th gear.)

Edit: I'm thinking of doing my transmission fluid at 15,000 miles since last change instead of 30,000 miles.

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 02-22-2012 at 11:47 PM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
If you are going to the track frequently or driving on tracks that are hard on brakes, I would recommend Castrol SRF. Motul RBF600 is great but its toast once you boil it...and you need to bleed more often.

I would give an even stronger recommendation for SRF if you plan to pay someone to bleed your brakes.

I wouldn't go cheap on brake fluid...not fun when your brakes start fading. I would HATE having my car sidelined because I used cheap brake fluid.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
PFC RH665 http://store.bimmerworld.com/perform...uid-p1702.aspx

A good in-between for the Motul RBF600 and the Castrol SRX.
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Ryan@GF-Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
PFC RH665 http://store.bimmerworld.com/perform...uid-p1702.aspx

A good in-between for the Motul RBF600 and the Castrol SRX.
+1 on the PFC RH665, that's what we're running this season on our M3. We've been running Motul RBF 600/660 on our M3 and 330i for quite awhile with no issues too.
Ryan@GF-Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus09 View Post
Simple question.

I know OEM Brake fluid shouldn't be used because it has boiled before in our cars while on the track.

What should I replace it with? Making purchases shortly for Oil, just wondering what other fluids I should plan on replacing prior to DD, autocross, and HPDE season.
BMW OEM brake fluid is actually pretty good. The problem is that it is too old if it has never been changed. New stuff from the dealer parts counter is pretty expensive. Ate Type 200 or Super Blue are perfectly acceptable for most track junkies.

You can't go wrong with Red Line oils for the engine, trans, and diff in appropriate weights.

Last edited by teamdfl; 02-24-2012 at 07:45 PM.
teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP,

I've been S.C.C.A. Club Racing for a long time, I've never run anything but ATE Super Blue. My brakes consist of stock OEM rotors, braided brake lines, Hawk HT10 pads, ATE Super Blue, & brake backing plates with 3" ducts. Not only have I done my share of winning, but I've also set two different track lap records; Ate Super Blue never missed a beat.......Period.

Good luck.

PS, run your motor oil a half quart high on the dip stick.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 02-25-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
PS, run your motor oil a half quart high on the dip stick.
I thought this was beneficial on E30/E36's but was actually not beneficial and potentially harmful for E46's?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
I thought this was beneficial on E30/E36's but was actually not beneficial and potentially harmful for E46's?

Well maybe you know something that I don't, it wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong.

I'll look into this, I'm friends with two different E46 330Ci/i race teams. I'll place calls & find out definitively. When I find out what they say, I'll report back; probably 2 or 3 weeks.

Rob

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
PrittyM3

My Ride: E46 M3
subscribed for info
Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #12
moranor

My Ride: 323i
this is what most people dont seem to get... forget BBKs... good pads, steel braided lines and brake fluid is where you need to spend your money... everything else is just race tinsel in most cases and not needed on our cars
moranor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
dan_1337

My Ride: 330CiC
I use RBF600
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
I sometimes run my motor oil 1/2 qt high in my E46 to stop lifter tick during AutoX. I don't know of any other problems from running it at the normal full mark instead of above the full mark, but I don't have an oil pressure gauge so who knows if I'm starving the motor or not. (My oil warning light never comes on during track days--maybe I'm not cornering hard enough.)

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 02-25-2012 at 10:36 PM.
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by moranor View Post
this is what most people dont seem to get... forget BBKs... good pads, steel braided lines and brake fluid is where you need to spend your money... everything else is just race tinsel in most cases and not needed on our cars
A good BBK with race pads will make a significant improvement in braking performance. If anything, the consumable parts last longer. You more significantly more heat dissipation and (don't give a crap what people think)...you can stop shorter over and over and over. Not that I am racing but we all like to pass...at the end of a session, I know I can catch most cars in a hard braking zone by braking much later.

But you've got to pay to play...probably not a worthwhile investment for the occassional HPDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Well maybe you know something that I don't, it wouldn't be the first time I got something wrong.

I'll look into this, I'm friends with two different E46 330Ci/i race teams. I'll place calls & find out definitively. When I find out what they say, I'll report back; probably 2 or 3 weeks.

Rob
Someone told me that you will ruin an S54 by running it a quart over. I've ran my M54 about 1/2-1 qt over and never had an issue so far.

I have no knowledge about this...just putting it out there as a theory.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #16
moranor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
A good BBK with race pads will make a significant improvement in braking performance. If anything, the consumable parts last longer. You more significantly more heat dissipation and (don't give a crap what people think)...you can stop shorter over and over and over. Not that I am racing but we all like to pass...at the end of a session, I know I can catch most cars in a hard braking zone by braking much later.

But you've got to pay to play...probably not a worthwhile investment for the occassional HPDE.
I partly agree but where im from most guys run blanks or M3 brakes because its cheaper to run... also if your car is setup right you can carry way more speed in the corners so less braking is required... almost no track cars here run a BBK...

If it offered such an advantage im sure they would switch over... dont get me wrong if you have heat problems you should definitely go BBK, but to fit them just because all the cool kids have them or you think you need them is counter productive and the money should rather be spent in other areas...
Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #17
MasterC17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

Someone told me that you will ruin an S54 by running it a quart over. I've ran my M54 about 1/2-1 qt over and never had an issue so far.

I have no knowledge about this...just putting it out there as a theory.
I'm thinking with the S54 it may have something to do with the fact that it is a "dry" sump.

Quote:
I partly agree but where im from most guys run blanks or M3 brakes because its cheaper to run... also if your car is setup right you can carry way more speed in the corners so less braking is required... almost no track cars here run a BBK...

If it offered such an advantage im sure they would switch over... dont get me wrong if you have heat problems you should definitely go BBK, but to fit them just because all the cool kids have them or you think you need them is counter productive and the money should rather be spent in other areas...
If you want to have great brakes without going full BBK look into PFC products and a brake ducting kit from Bimmerworld or Turner. Unfortunately, PFC doesn't makes their 2-Piece rotors for the 323, but they do make pads for it.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
bigjae1976

Quote:

You can carry more speed longer is the advantage. At the point where I can start my braking is always later than the guy in front of me. The problem I have is I'm usually almost running into the back of the car in front of me before my braking begins.

Don't get me wrong, the OEM brakes are good and adequate for HPDE session. The reason that many shy away from a BBK is probably the cost. When you need new rotors discs...you can get OEM blanks for $200-$300 a pair. Stoptech rotor rings run from $200-$350 each. I'm not sure the ST rotor rings last THAT much longer than OEM rotors (or quality aftermarket versions) where the ST rings are cheaper of the long run.

The reason why I have the ST 4 wheel BBK is reliability. I've already been through the experience of losing your brakes doing 135mph trying to turn down into the carousel at Texas World Speedway...and then once in Korea going from 130mph to about 50mph.

Quote:
I'm thinking with the S54 it may have something to do with the fact that it is a "dry" sump.
IIRC, the guy said (I think) it floods the engine and something bad happens (can't remember what).

The S54 is a dry sump? Didn't know that.

Last edited by bigjae1976; 02-26-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
moranor

ducting is a must it really helps alot... I just get very annoyed that alot of street cars run 19"+ rims just to fit a bbk because they "need" them and at the track they are hardly seen here sorry dont know why i felt i had to vent here
Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
magnetic1

My Ride: MysticPair
Quote:
ducting is a must it really helps alot... I just get very annoyed that alot of street cars run 19"+ rims just to fit a bbk because they "need" them and at the track they are hardly seen here sorry dont know why i felt i had to vent here
Depends. I race on stock sized brakes w/ PFC01s with just the OEM ducting (if you want to call it that). No issues w/ brake fade. Car is around 3100#s with me in it. Obviously weight plays a factor too, but I think for a DE, proper pads will go a long way.

Skip the OEM pads and get PFC06s. You'll have a much better time.
2004 Mystic Blue #121 NASA GTS3 Racecar
2003.5 Mystic Blue Street Car
magnetic1 is offline   Reply With Quote