E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
***The Official M56 SULEV Warranty Documents, Check-in, and Questions Thread***

In this first post, I am including any important information I find for SULEV owners, regarding warranty, part compatibility, etc. The Air Resource Board approvals indicate a service life of exhaust and evaporative emissions components as being 150,000 miles.

I'm just curious how many M56B25 SULEVs are floating around on here. Put your mileage, engine modifications, tuning, driveline modifications (e.g. transmission, diff ratio), etc., along with any problems you've had with it (and whether or not BMW warrantied the issue). I have also posted the info sheet that dealers received regarding the SULEV.

FYI for anyone who does not know, the SULEV has a unique sealed fuel system of mostly stainless steel, and a stainless steel fuel rail. The tank, pump, filter, filler, and vent hose are all one piece and has to be replaced as a single unit. The SULEV's entire emissions system and fuel tank assembly is covered under a 15 year/150k mile warranty.

I have an '04 with 72k miles, an Active Autowerke tune, K&N panel filter, I got rid of the hydrocarbon filter in the lid of the air box, and I haven't had any issues aside from OFHG and cooling system. No M56 specific issues.

Attachment 4: SULEV specific warranty handbook dated 2005
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M56sulev.pdf (177.2 KB, 848 views)
File Type: pdf California approval of SULEV_2003.pdf (204.4 KB, 435 views)
File Type: pdf California approval of SULEV_2004.pdf (169.8 KB, 412 views)
File Type: pdf SULEV Warranty handbook_2005.pdf (1.04 MB, 999 views)

Last edited by briangl92; 04-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
txmbr

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
Cecking in

Just checking in here. My SULEV is an 04 with 98,000 and no specific issues. Might have one as the O2 sensors are 5 wire wide band and specific to the SULEV because of the connector. I have two pre cat codes and a surging in the final gear after 2500 rpm. I ordered the replacement pre cat sensor and will put it on this weekend. Already have completed the VANOS and maintenance issues. I'm interested in the tune you had done and the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0043.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	447374  
Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmbr View Post
Just checking in here. My SULEV is an 04 with 98,000 and no specific issues. Might have one as the O2 sensors are 5 wire wide band and specific to the SULEV because of the connector. I have two pre cat codes and a surging in the final gear after 2500 rpm. I ordered the replacement pre cat sensor and will put it on this weekend. Already have completed the VANOS and maintenance issues. I'm interested in the tune you had done and the results.
The entire emissions system should be under warranty. Which would theoretically include the O2 sensors. The problem is that a lot of people with warranty claim issues on the SULEVs are stonewalled by the dealers, who tell them they'll have to return to the original state where it was purchased. Makes no sense since BMWNA is the one paying out on warranty claims.

In theory there should be an M56 specific part number. I have surging too above ~2300 rpm, to a certain extent. No codes or anything so I'm attributing it to the VANOS kicking in. No other explanation that I could find. I do have an injector that's running a little louder than the rest, but again, no codes and it seems to be running fine.

The link for my review of the tune is in my sig.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
briangl92

I posted a PDF file in Post #1 that's worth giving a once over. I'd be tempted to say that the O2 sensors are different beyond the plug.

Here are part numbers for the O2 sensors:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...01&hg=18&fg=10

These links are for a SULEV sedan with a build date of 03/2004.

Last edited by briangl92; 04-19-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
txmbr

That is interesting on the fuel system. I have a new pre cat Bosch sensor sitting here to put on this weekend. I have cleaned my MAF, checked all my hoses for leaks, cleaned my DISA and ICV and have two O2 codes (sensor 1 bank 2) so I'm going to replace and see. I'm going to have to do this tune. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
briangl92

Quote:
That is interesting on the fuel system. I have a new pre cat Bosch sensor sitting here to put on this weekend. I have cleaned my MAF, checked all my hoses for leaks, cleaned my DISA and ICV and have two O2 codes (sensor 1 bank 2) so I'm going to replace and see. I'm going to have to do this tune. Thanks for the info.
Just realized there's a diagram but no numbers on the fuel pump.

Glad I could help So rear manifold pre-cat right? GL!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
txmbr

Yes...rear pre cat. Oh, those are some high price sensors. That's why I'm just replacing as they give me a code. Had the best intentions of replacing both pre cats until I saw the price. 179.00. Geez.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
briangl92

Did anyone ever wonder why they had the muffler from a 330i? The M54 engines got 3 mufflers/resonators and 2 cats in the exhaust manifolds. The M56 got 2 mufflers/resonators and 4 cats, 2 in the manifolds, 2 in the front section of the exhaust. The 330i muffler was used because it had the active exhaust butterfly valve and therefore could manage the noisier exhaust note. That explains why the M56 after doing the 'golf tee mod' tends to have a much lower exhaust note compared to other cars.

This would also explain why BMW does not market the BMW Performance exhaust for the M56 cars.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
txmbr

I have not done the golf tee mod....does it really give it a better exhaust note? I'm sure those those two girls at my apartment complex were wondering why I was looking up my muffler. Yup I have a flap in there. I have seen it open only when the car is shut off.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
briangl92

I think so. I was at another fanatics house and had to move my car. He actually asked if it was an aftermarket exhaust because it sounded so much deeper. It's most noticeable at startup, especially if the car is cold.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
briangl92

I have updated the first post with the SULEV specific warranty handbook. It would be worth owners giving it a once over to see what is and is not covered.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Mr. Driver

I have an 04' with about 111,xxx miles on it. I have made the trip from California to Georgia a couple of times so my miles are a bit on the high side. Currently I have the Dinan exhaust for our cars and was thinking of going to a straight pipe setup since I don't have to pass emissions out here. Any suggestions on how I should go about it as to not throw any codes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-04-19 at 1.47.17 AM.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	448661  
Mr. Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
briangl92

It'd be interesting to see how straight pipes would sound. On the M54s, it doesn't tend to sound all that great, in my opinion. You might be better off just getting rid of the second set of cats and straight piping that front section of the exhaust. It'd be a lot cheaper and easier and you shouldn't have to worry about any codes.

I know there's been a couple people that put BB headers on and didn't have a problem. I think they had to do a DME flash to disable the O2 sensors. Deleting the dual downstream cats shouldn't be a problem since there aren't any O2 sensors, but we have 4 O2 sensors in the exhaust manifold; 1 before each cat, 1 after each.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
txmbr

Well I replaced my Sensor 1 Bank 2 O2 today and wow what a difference. Feel it in the pedal. Getting ready to make a 1200 mile round trip this weekend and interested to see if my MPG goes up from it's normal 30 MPG with that bad sensor. Sitting comparing the normal M54 5 wire wide band to the SULEV 5 wire wide band....no difference except for the connector. Same wire to pins everything. Smaller but same shape for the M54. Oh and the M56 is about 55 dollars more. Go figure.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
briangl92

Quote:
Well I replaced my Sensor 1 Bank 2 O2 today and wow what a difference. Feel it in the pedal. Getting ready to make a 1200 mile round trip this weekend and interested to see if my MPG goes up from it's normal 30 MPG with that bad sensor. Sitting comparing the normal M54 5 wire wide band to the SULEV 5 wire wide band....no difference except for the connector. Same wire to pins everything. Smaller but same shape for the M54. Oh and the M56 is about 55 dollars more. Go figure.
No codes or anything? How did the discrepancy in the connector work out? Did you solder on a M54 one or something of the sort?

Great info and definite money saver!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
txmbr

No I had ordered a M54 O2 sensor thinking it would work..and it didn't because of the connector. Reluctantly order a M56 sensor because you never know with these cars. So now I'm going to keep the M54 sensor knowing what I found out in comparing and use it in the bank 1 location when I need to. It was cheaper. And yes, I will just cut the connector off the M56 sensor and solder it to the M56 sensor. No codes.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
briangl92

Quote:
No I had ordered a M54 O2 sensor thinking it would work..and it didn't because of the connector. Reluctantly order a M56 sensor because you never know with these cars. So now I'm going to keep the M54 sensor knowing what I found out in comparing and use it in the bank 1 location when I need to. It was cheaper. And yes, I will just cut the connector off the M56 sensor and solder it to the M56 sensor. No codes.
Gotcha, I was under the impression you got the M54 one to work.

Oh, since you mentioned MPG, I tried some Red Line fuel injector cleaner a while back and it boosted my MPG by 1.0 on the OBC. Didn't do anything for my one loud injector, but the car does feel like it runs smoother.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
txmbr

Great news on the red line. I just picked a bottle of techron to run through the fuel system on my trip tomorrow. Will let you know. I have used techron in all my vehicles and really feel it does a good job. I can really tell the difference in my Land Rover Discovery after I have let it sit for a couple months only starting it once a week. Dump in a bottle fill up and head for the mud. Fun. I will try the red line next time. Oh as note..I had the chance to stand with my indy and compare 330 bits and pieces. The runners on the intake are different....the throttle body is the same diameter but different entirely. MAF...looks identical, same diameter except for the connection. The box has a different top..suppose because of the carbon filter. Mines gone. The fuel rail and injectors are very different...all stainless steel.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Mr. Driver

Im currently at my shop right now awaiting for the straight pipe install. I will let you guys know how it goes when I am done. I am just hoping for something louder than the Dinan exhaust. I know I could have just hacked apart the Dinan exhaust but I wanted to keep it for when I go back to California or if I just want to sell it in the near future.
Mr. Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Driver View Post
Im currently at my shop right now awaiting for the straight pipe install. I will let you guys know how it goes when I am done. I am just hoping for something louder than the Dinan exhaust. I know I could have just hacked apart the Dinan exhaust but I wanted to keep it for when I go back to California or if I just want to sell it in the near future.
Be interesting to see how it will be. How was the sound with the Dinan? It should be louder than standard 325s because we have have one less resonator/muffler.
Straight pipes from the headers back? Or do you have catless headers too?

Tags
m56, sulev