E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
amack1233

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
2000 BMW 323i Headlight Question

Hey All,

I have the stock halogen lights for the 2000 BMW 323i. I want to put xenon and angel eye in, but an wondering what i need to do this? looking for suggestions on conversion kit, will the halogen housing suffice for the xenon lights or do i need new housing? and depending on the answer to that question i suppose would decide the answer to what kit i should pick if purchasing this angel eye conversion kit...http://www.umnitza.com/orion-lite-60...es-p-5686.html

Any help/ previous experiences doing so with the same type of vehicle would be appreciated

Thanks
amack1233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Do NOT put HID bulbs in the standard halogen housing.
Not so great for you and much worse for other drivers.

The easiest route for me was to retrofit used OEM xenons. Just make sure they come from a pre-facelift sedan.

Advantages:
  • Best lighting: no messing up focus of the beam by putting a vertical HID arc where a horizontal filament was meant to be
  • High-quality, with OEM fit and finish
  • Plug-n-play (still needs a recode to turn off the dashboard light when the lights are off)
  • Very neutral light

Disadvantages:
  • May take a while to source
  • Unlikely to find both sides in the same place
  • Getting a crystal-clear appearance takes some polishing (in my case, less than 1/2 hr)
  • Will be a bit more than a set of housings with projectors + HID kit
  • If you want a different temperature light output, you need to buy bulbs.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
KSims1868

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
What's the problem with buying a complete plug & play replacement aftermarket set like these...?
I'm not asking to be a smart ass...but if these kits are clean, fit well, and look good...why deal with all the re-furbing of old parts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-BMW-E4...sories&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-05-BMW-E4...sories&vxp=mtr

KSims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSims1868 View Post
What's the problem with buying a complete plug & play replacement aftermarket set like these...?
I'm not asking to be a smart ass...but if these kits are clean, fit well, and look good...why deal with all the re-furbing of old parts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-BMW-E4...sories&vxp=mtr

There is no problem with the above mentioned headlights, but they are cheap knock off ones which (who knows) will eat the dust in no time.

OEM is the best way to go, but gets expensive if you look for a new set.

In the lightning section there is a great thread for converting halogens into xenons. I guess the thread is titled xenons in a budget or something like that.

A straight DIY that is very doable and gives OEM(if not better) output.
They use morimoto h1 projectors and just get any angel eyes you want.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Azer408

My Ride: 2006 CGM WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
There is no problem with the above mentioned headlights, but they are cheap knock off ones which (who knows) will eat the dust in no time.

OEM is the best way to go, but gets expensive if you look for a new set.

In the lightning section there is a great thread for converting halogens into xenons. I guess the thread is titled xenons in a budget or something like that.

A straight DIY that is very doable and gives OEM(if not better) output.
They use morimoto h1 projectors and just get any angel eyes you want.

+1 to Morimoto's and some ccfl's. Everyone I know uses theretrofitsource.com
Azer408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSims1868 View Post
To upgrade to projectors and Angel Eyes, then this route is easy. Can even reuse the existing bulbs.

But the OP wanted XENON (aka, HID).

The first link is not HID (although it does have Angel Eyes). Still need to buy and install (tack on) an HID retrofit kit: ballast, igniter, bulb.
The other two links are for facelifted cars (also are not HID).

OEMs, OTOH...
  • Don't just "fit well". They fit perfectly.
  • Don't necessarily need a lot of "refurbing."
    It took me all of 20 mins to wash, dry, and then polish the covers to make them look NEW. Lenses need to be polished every year, anyway, if the car is parked outside.
  • Most important, they have the correct optics: proper projectors for HID are slightly different from what is used in ordinary halogen projectors.
  • For angel eyes, just pop open the covers, install, and you're done.

The retrofit kits are the cheapest way to go for folks who already have projector housings (although there are still beam pattern issues). But that doesn't apply to the OP.

Yes, buying NEW HID is very expensive. But, with patience, you can put together a used set for what it costs to get an aftermarket projector housing + HID retrofit kit.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
323i, conversion, headlight, light, xenon