E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
rfbmwfan

My Ride: 1999 323i ZSP
Single misfire cylinder 5

Hey guys, I'm stumped on this. Out of the blue on my way home the other night, car starts missing. Next day I switch coil packs, plugs, fuel injectors, and no matter what the miss stays on cylinder 5. So I hook up my bmw software to diagnose. Im getting DME code 1F ignition activation, along with p0305. The miss only starts when the car is warmed up and running for a while.

When I clear the code, the car runs fine for about a minute, then starts missing again.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App

Last edited by rfbmwfan; 05-13-2012 at 10:04 PM.
rfbmwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
Have you tried cleaning/checking your ICV, DISA, and MAF? Do you see any smoke? Before you go on a wild goose chase spending money trying to fix it, get a compression test done. I had a similar issue with cyl 5 a while back. My CCV was starting to go bad so it was throwing oil into the cylinder and causing misfires. Then it finally blew the diaphragm in the separator and I had it change and problem solved.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
rfbmwfan

About 1000 miles ago, I did ccv system, intake manifold gasket, and replaced all the vacuum lines. Disa was fine, icv was as well. It just started about 30 miles ago.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
rfbmwfan

Bump

Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
swap coils
inspect spark plug
compression test
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
rfbmwfan

Read the post. Already done all that. Compression is 120 in all cylinders.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbmwfan View Post
Read the post. Already done all that. Compression is 120 in all cylinders.
hummmm.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Interestingly enough, I had a single misfire code on that same cylinder. Had to replace the fuel pump, and no more misfires.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
spdracr137

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Interestingly enough, I had a single misfire code on that same cylinder. Had to replace the fuel pump, and no more misfires.
This happened to me too. I replaced, ccv, disa, plugs, tried swaping coils/injectors, checked for vacuum leaks and it ended up being my fuel pump. Doesn't make any sense to me but my pump died one day and after replacing it, the missfire never came back. Still have no idea how that caused only a single cylinder missfire but it did.
spdracr137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
someone here had the same problem on a single cylinder and swapping hardware didnt change a thing. he fixed it with the intake camshaft position sensor i believe.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
rfbmwfan

No other obd2 codes other than p0305. When I connect my bmw dis software, it shows another code. DME 1F activation ignition cylinder 5. I've checked all fuses and relays. I am at wits end with this.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
It is something of a longshot, but how old are your O2 sensors? Can you try swapping them around and see if the p0305 code changes to another cylinder? The 030x code indicates a misfire, and the last digit indicates the cylinder. If you already know that, then sorry for the explanation.
The fuel pump suggestion is not as crazy as it sounds. I found some other mentions of p030X codes and fuel pump issues. Strangely enough, the ones mentioned were p0305 and p0306. Maybe you can check the fuel pressure. Maybe recheck all of the vacuum lines, and see if anything has come loose.
I was helping another member with the same issue several months ago. He never posted a solution, and seems to have dropped off. I just sent him a PM, to see if he ever found a cause.

Edit - It almost seems like there is a fault somewhere in the wiring that triggers the coil or the injector. I don't know if that would throw other codes or not. That is just a guess on my part though.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 05-16-2012 at 01:26 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #13
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Was there any oil on the coil boot when you removed it from cylinder 5? Any chance that the spark plug tube seal is leaking?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #14
rfbmwfan

csean, where there any other symptoms? Did it happen all the time or once the car was warmed up?

e46mango, I did replace the cam pos sensors, but they are not oem. Been problem free the last year and half.. but might have to go further into that.

mjlavelle, from the records I have, o2 sensors where replaced at the dealer around 30k. Car has 140k now. I will try to switch them tomorrow at work if it's slow enough.
No oil, valve cover was replaced less than a year ago. I also inspected all spark plugs and boots at least 20 times by now.. along with cleaning all the contacts on wires, and the DME relays, etc.

I replaced my fuel filter about 2 years ago, and fuel pressure regulator a year ago.

At this point, I've fixed and replaced everything that was needed and then some. When I did the ccv system, I replaced all vacuum lines while I had the intake off. Everything is connected right. I've checked and checked again just in case it wasn't.

Thanks for all the help and input so far guys. I'm going to get this fixed one way or another. I'll update when I can do some of your suggestions.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
SeanC

Quote:
csean, where there any other symptoms? Did it happen all the time or once the car was warmed up?
I believe it happened a few times towards the end of the fuel pump. Kinda trying to warn me. Not saying you have the same issue, but you should find out soon enough.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm stumped on this. Out of the blue on my way home the other night, car starts missing. Next day I switch coil packs, plugs, fuel injectors, and no matter what the miss stays on cylinder 5. So I hook up my bmw software to diagnose. Im getting DME code 1F ignition activation, along with p0305. The miss only starts when the car is warmed up and running for a while.

When I clear the code, the car runs fine for about a minute, then starts missing again.
You have a SINGLE CYLINDER MISFIRE, you have to concentrate on that single cylinder. All of the other stuff you are doing 1.) confuses the issue, and 2.) will cause global problems across all cylinders. You need to go back and look at stuff that is unique to the cylinder that is giving trouble. Swap the #5 coil with another coil AND NOTHING ELSE, and see if the problem follows or not, if the problem follows then continue looking at the coil. Do not introduce new parts, and ESPECIALLY do not introduce used parts, because if the new part is no better than the onen it replaces, then you will be chasing your tail. You have no misfires on the other cylinders, so all of the other coils work. Put the currrent #5 coil someplace else and put that coil on #5. If #5 remains the problem, then look to the plug on #5, and then start looking at the injector. All of the other injectors work, so swap the injector from another cylinder into 5, and put the #5 injector into that cylinder. See if the problem stays on 5 or moves.

The idea is that you are doing 4 or 5 things at the same time, and you need to do one thing and see if the problem follows that action or stays in place. If you move the external parts -- coil, injector, plugs -- from 5 to a working cylinder, and the parts from the working cylinder to 5, and the problem remains on 5 through all of this, then you have an internal problem.

Your car has already isolated the problem to a single cylinder, there is no point in looking at stuff that covers all of the cylinders that are not having a problem.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
JD, I think he said he swapped coils and injectors already (For some reason I think he edited that out of his original post--i don't see it anymore)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #18
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
JD, I think he said he swapped coils and injectors already (For some reason I think he edited that out of his original post--i don't see it anymore)
He did say that, but everybody is taking him on a ride of global problems that will hit several cylinders, if not all of them, instead of just one.

And it is not clear that he is replacing stuff or swapping it. If he's replacing stuff with more stuff that is also broken, then he's not fixing anything. If he's swapping a part with a known good part and the symptom remains the same or changes, then there is a clue. The OP talks about working on his car if there is time, as if he's working in a shop and has access to used parts that don't work any better than the parts that are already on the car.

And, he said that resetting the engine code makes the car run okay for a minute or so and then it starts to misfire again. Resetting the code has nothing to do with the engine misfiring, or not. It might take a minute for the code to come back, but the misfire is present without regard to the status of the code or the resetting of the computer. The car does not say, "oh, the computer is reset, I should run okay now," and then begin misfiring anew. The condition that makes the misfire does not go away just because the codes have been reset.

Assuming the coil and injector have been swapped and the plugs are good, and the problem remains on 5, then the diagnostic efforts have to move to stuff like a valve or piston rings, or something internal. It's time for a compression test.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
He did say that, but everybody is taking him on a ride of global problems that will hit several cylinders, if not all of them, instead of just one.
That's true, but you don't simultaneously get misfires on all cylinders even when something that affects all cylinders is going bad The cylinder in the worst shape gets hits first.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #20
rfbmwfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post

And it is not clear that he is replacing stuff or swapping it. If he's replacing stuff with more stuff that is also broken, then he's not fixing anything. If he's swapping a part with a known good part and the symptom remains the same or changes, then there is a clue. The OP talks about working on his car if there is time, as if he's working in a shop and has access to used parts that don't work any better than the parts that are already on the car.

And, he said that resetting the engine code makes the car run okay for a minute or so and then it starts to misfire again. Resetting the code has nothing to do with the engine misfiring, or not. It might take a minute for the code to come back, but the misfire is present without regard to the status of the code or the resetting of the computer. The car does not say, "oh, the computer is reset, I should run okay now," and then begin misfiring anew. The condition that makes the misfire does not go away just because the codes have been reset.

Assuming the coil and injector have been swapped and the plugs are good, and the problem remains on 5, then the diagnostic efforts have to move to stuff like a valve or piston rings, or something internal. It's time for a compression test.
I do work in a shop, however I don't put used parts on my car. I did mention that I used aftermarket cam position sensors (no trouble the last 2 years since installed though).

Coil and injector have been swapped, all plugs look good, compression test resulted in 120 across all cylinders.

The car runs perfectly fine with no misses until warmed up to normal operating temp.

I've combed through wiring to make sure there are no tears or fraying of wires, cleaned contacts, checked fuses and relays. Checked for vacuum leaks with a smoker.

e46mango, I have the bosch plugs installed, it was an oem part number I got for them. Had them installed since last year when I did my valve cover gasket.

Not sure what happened to my original post, was on my phone.. obviously I erased the whole original post and replaced it with another lol. oops.

Anyways, next on the list is a fuel pressure test.