E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
BMWxTREME

My Ride: '00 323i (step)
Send a message via MSN to BMWxTREME
Question Hagus sport mirrors

I got my mirrors (from E46fanatics) painted and installed today and then a problem occured. The heating function of the mirrors is all messed up and the heating function on my mirrors were constantly on. They kept getting hotter and hotter until finally the mirror (glass) just cracked. Tim and I were dicussing it, and I'm wondering if anyone had ever had this happen to them before? I haven't seen any posts on here about problems with the mirrors. Tim has them on his own car (and so do lots of other people) so I know they are quality mirrors, but I'm just trying to deduce what could be wrong. Could the body shop that installed them for me installed them wrong? I don't know how since it's just a straight plug-in and no wiring is involved. Can anyone shed some light on my little problem? Thanks in advance.

* Hamann eyelids, roof spoiler, mirrors, competition rear wing, pedals, Racing Dynamics R35 front bumper, Alcantara shift, e-brake boots, engine start button, ECIS cai, H & R springs, Bilstein shocks, Breyton Inspiration rims, Sony PS 2, Phoenix Gold XS 2200, XS 4400 amps, 2 x 10 " JL Audio subwoofers, Clarion CDC655Tz cd changer, DPH7500z equalizer, VRZ 6671z monitor *

BMWxTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
H.A.N.S

My Ride: Hamann 330ci
Honestly, I've been somewhat dissapointed with my Hagus mirror. First of all, I thouhgt it was supposed to be a plug and play, but it wasn't. I had my audio installer swap the stock motor for me and they came across a problem too. They coudn't mount the motor the right way and as the result, the mirror goes to wrong directions when you try to adjust them. For example, when you hit "left", the mirror swivels up, etc.

They said the stock can't be mounted any other way on the Hagus housing. It's been really frustrating to have these problems. I bought Hagus because a friend of mine has them on his Audi A4 and it was a very simple and clean install. No motor swapping required.
H.A.N.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:11 PM   #3
jAb
I've got cool scars

My Ride: 09 335i & 00 328Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by H.A.N.S
I bought Hagus because a friend of mine has them on his Audi A4 and it was a very simple and clean install. No motor swapping required.
it is a simple plug and play if you dont mind losing the tilt down feature of the oem mirrors
jAb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Hmmm...sounds like a wiring issue

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWxTREME
I got my mirrors (from E46fanatics) painted and installed today and then a problem occured. The heating function of the mirrors is all messed up and the heating function on my mirrors were constantly on. They kept getting hotter and hotter until finally the mirror (glass) just cracked. Tim and I were dicussing it, and I'm wondering if anyone had ever had this happen to them before? I haven't seen any posts on here about problems with the mirrors. Tim has them on his own car (and so do lots of other people) so I know they are quality mirrors, but I'm just trying to deduce what could be wrong. Could the body shop that installed them for me installed them wrong? I don't know how since it's just a straight plug-in and no wiring is involved. Can anyone shed some light on my little problem? Thanks in advance.
Is there a chance that the mirrors were defective to begin with resulting in a malfunction with the heating feature?
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 10:18 PM   #5
BMWxTREME

My Ride: '00 323i (step)
Send a message via MSN to BMWxTREME
Smile

it might be a wiring issue, but the guys at E46fanatics said they would send me new mirrors to see if my mirrors were in fact defective. i love the E46fanatics store. great bunch of people:smile:

* Hamann eyelids, roof spoiler, mirrors, competition rear wing, pedals, Racing Dynamics R35 front bumper, Alcantara shift, e-brake boots, engine start button, ECIS cai, H & R springs, Bilstein shocks, Breyton Inspiration rims, Sony PS 2, Phoenix Gold XS 2200, XS 4400 amps, 2 x 10 " JL Audio subwoofers, Clarion CDC655Tz cd changer, DPH7500z equalizer, VRZ 6671z monitor *

BMWxTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:36 AM   #6
H.A.N.S

Quote:
Originally posted by jAb

it is a simple plug and play if you dont mind losing the tilt down feature of the oem mirrors
I don't understand how it can be a plug and play. The Hagus mirror has a 6 pin plug whereas the stock mirror has a 12 pin plug. The plugs are completely different in size also. The only option left was to swap the two motors. Even matching-up the ribbon cables wasn't an option since the colors are in different orders.

Link to my pic: "http://www.e46fanatics.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=185752&t=185752"
Old 04-16-2002, 07:19 AM   #7
Tominizer

My Ride: none
Ok then...... not buying any hagus mirrors.

Do the AC-S mirrors have the same issues?!?!?
Tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:41 AM   #8
InlineSiX
illstylez

My Ride: 1999 328i
I know...I was thinkin about getting them with the sale and everything...but not if it causes all these headaches!
InlineSiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 09:20 AM   #9
Jake
Steelblue Zim Zimma

My Ride: "Shark Infested 323"
Send a message via AIM to Jake
I don't understand what the headaches are the only problem HAGUS mirrors has ever had was the tilt down problem, other than that , it is a STRAIGHT plug and play Deal, I did my mirrors my self NO PROBLEM (I just live with the tilt up problem by leaving my swicth to the left). If Xtreme is having a problem with the Mirrors it could be a Defect or a wiring problem but other than that HAGUS Mirrors are the ****

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:12 AM   #10
NickACS
BOOM!

My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
Jake,
You have a sedan, like me, and I can't get the mirror memory function to work correctly. Now, my bodyshop installer DID NOT swap the OEM motor out saying it was too hard and wouldn't work. For coupes, I hear it is like plug-n-play, but for sedans it is not. What did you do to get yours all working? I don't care for the mirror tilt anyways, but if I can get back my mirror memory settings, I would like to know!
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 10:55 AM   #11
Clem
Alpha Male

My Ride: Twin Turbo'd Beast
Quote:
Originally posted by Tominizer
Ok then...... not buying any hagus mirrors.

Do the AC-S mirrors have the same issues?!?!?
ACS mirrors require the removel of the OEM motors and reinstallation of them in the ACS ones.
Clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:12 AM   #12
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
i think some of the problem lies with if you have a 330 or a previous model. i think the 330 has the 12pin plug and the 328,325,abd 323 have the 6pin plug, i'm not sure but i'm pretty sure they have different plugs.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:16 AM   #13
AWay

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via AIM to AWay
Makes me feel that much better about installing mine this week. OH and...

The freaking paint shop charged me over 315 bucks to PAINT the mirrors. No swapping of motors, no installing, just paint! I'm am seriously pissed.

They said the mirrors were really cheap and had little pin holes all over the mirrors which they had to fill and then paint over. They said they still couldn't get all of them, but they look way better than when I dropped them off. He told me to check out other people with them and see how their paint quality compares to mine, and I'll notice a difference. If anyone in the Philly area has them let me know as I would like to check them out. I don't really trust this guy, so I want to make sure he isn't pulling one over on me.

Other than that I hope I don't have any of these installation issues or heating problems. This has already turned into a $720 set of mirrors, so I just hope it's not all a loss.

I have faith in the product though, as many people have installed them and I seldom hear anyhing but praise about them.

Only time will tell, I pick them up today and hopefully install soon.

I'll keep you posted and pics to come.
AWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 11:36 AM   #14
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWxTREME
it might be a wiring issue, but the guys at E46fanatics said they would send me new mirrors to see if my mirrors were in fact defective. i love the E46fanatics store. great bunch of people:smile:

yup... Tim and Mark are true class acts.

I hope the issues with your mirrors get resolved soon.

good luck,
B
Old 04-16-2002, 11:46 AM   #15
sgv321

My Ride: 328
Quote:
Originally posted by Topaz330
i think some of the problem lies with if you have a 330 or a previous model. i think the 330 has the 12pin plug and the 328,325,abd 323 have the 6pin plug, i'm not sure but i'm pretty sure they have different plugs.
i think all E46 are 12 pin.
sgv321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 12:50 PM   #16
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
Re: Makes me feel that much better about installing mine this week. OH and...

Quote:
Originally posted by AWay
The freaking paint shop charged me over 315 bucks to PAINT the mirrors. No swapping of motors, no installing, just paint! I'm am seriously pissed.

They said the mirrors were really cheap and had little pin holes all over the mirrors which they had to fill and then paint over. They said they still couldn't get all of them, but they look way better than when I dropped them off. He told me to check out other people with them and see how their paint quality compares to mine, and I'll notice a difference. If anyone in the Philly area has them let me know as I would like to check them out. I don't really trust this guy, so I want to make sure he isn't pulling one over on me.

Other than that I hope I don't have any of these installation issues or heating problems. This has already turned into a $720 set of mirrors, so I just hope it's not all a loss.

I have faith in the product though, as many people have installed them and I seldom hear anyhing but praise about them.

Only time will tell, I pick them up today and hopefully install soon.

I'll keep you posted and pics to come.

$315 dollars!!!! damn! i see your from jersey, if you want drop me a email if or when you need something painted, i have the hook up with my bodyshop guy that does incredible work. he did my mirrors well lets just say he did it for a lot less than even half of what you paid.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:53 PM   #17
NickACS
BOOM!

My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
Hmm, not sure if all E46's are 12-pin, but I have heard that for the sedan, it is a must to swap the OEM motors. But I was told from my bodshop it can't be done or if so, there is too much modification and the mirror memory will always be off
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:53 PM   #18
H.A.N.S

Quote:
Originally posted by Topaz330
Hmm... That could be it !!! I have a 330ci.. and I have a 12 pin plug.

No wonder both plugs (hagus Vs stock) are not the same size, thus not a plug and play
Old 04-16-2002, 06:06 PM   #19
silroc
The Man you Love to Hate

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to silroc
As you can see in my sig I have the Hagus mirrors

I love the look - I never had a heating problem, and the glass never crackd (but the concave glass is a little weird)

Bottom line I am 100% happy with them - I didnt lose any functions because my 323ci never had a tilt down auto feature !!

I didnt swap motors -

good luck

Bring It

"Woke up quick, at about noon..........." - Eazy-e RIP

"Don't worry. The ghosts eventually come out" - Derek Jeter
silroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 07:35 PM   #20
bimmer

My Ride: 323ci
What about stock M3 mirrors

I am thinking of changing those side mirrors. What kind of pin does M3 mirrors have? I have a 2000 323ci.
Will there be any problem in the swap?
bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote