E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum

Buyer/Seller Feedback Forum
Post your positive or negative feedback about transactions with members here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
My negative experience with Forgestar Wheels

I will preface this by stating I did not go through modbargains so this is in no way a reflection of them as a dealer. This is specially related to Forgestar.

I ordered 18x9 et37 square F14's from forgestar in "brilliant silver".

It was a 9 week wait from the time of ordering to the day the wheels showed up.

Immediately upon inspection I noticed some significant flaws on the inside of the barrels of the wheels with the clear. They appeared scratched. I tried not to let it bother me since from the outside they looked good.

Upon mounting I realized I needed a slight roll. As I went to remount the wheels to the hub one slipped off the hub and rubbed the rotor dust shield. This was the result.

Picking at the clear it was obvious that it didn't stick to the base coat at all and was just floating on the wheel, waiting to fall off.

Calling my dealer back we spoke with Forgestar and they indicated they had a few complaints about this color silver and were sourcing a new supplier of the color and would refinish the wheels with the new color.

4 weeks go by with no word after having shipped the wheels back to them. I call and follow up and am told "we just got them" and hinted at me being unreasonable for expecting them turned around so soon.

6 weeks later I finally get them back and upon unboxing I immediately note the color is off.

I called Forgestar and they assured me these are my wheels and that it's the same color.

It's darker, duller, flatter and just looks....bad. I get them mounted anyways hoping they will look okay on the car.

This lighting is actually much more forgiving. Without direct light on them they are quite dark and look like a primer gray. There's no reflection off the color at all.

In my complaint to Forgestar I am provided with the true explanation.

Quote:
I do apologize that its not what you wanted. I understand the fact of not wanting to send back again and have to wait. On other news just want you to know we didn't change the base of this color we just fix the problem you were having with how it was peeling and strip it & re did the clear coat so it is the original finish you desired. Im glad this time around the wheels didn't peel & are drivable & livable I do apologize that your not left more than thrilled with them but just satisfied.
The truth is they stripped the clear (probably sandblasting) which would have pelted the hell out of the base color which dulled it and remove a lot of the color itself...then just recleared it. Didn't recolor it with the "new" silver they were supposedly sourcing. I was lied to and the job was done half assed.

At this point I will not send them back. I cannot keep driving on my winter tires for another month and a half for them to "fix" these a third time.

I will now be refinishing them locally apparently on my own dime since Forgestar isn't offering any kind of alternative.

I would highly, HIGHLY discourage anyone from ordering wheels from Forgestar....ever.

Last edited by Scooby24; 06-22-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
ouch. anyone who claims that's the same silver is lying through their teeth. i hope you get this resolved :(
Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Jets330

My Ride: scrapes alot
Another one of these.. damn. whats up with these companies nowadays? big ups to those who bite the bullet and jus take it as it is. seems we all got fed up with improper customer satisfaction.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Scooby24

I'm so livid right now. I called them once more to ask what they can do to make it right and all I get is that they didn't change the base coat, the color is what it is and they "don't know what to tell [me]"

I tell them the color is different. Period. And they say they didn't do anything to the color and that's that. They have the pictures but are sticking to their story.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Jets330

My Ride: scrapes alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I'm so livid right now. I called them once more to ask what they can do to make it right and all I get is that they didn't change the base coat, the color is what it is and they "don't know what to tell [me]"

I tell them the color is different. Period. And they say they didn't do anything to the color and that's that. They have the pictures but are sticking to their story.
its a shame companies aren't owning up to their customers expectations at times. :facepalm:
Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Wow that sucks. They do look good in that first picture though!

Best of luck
Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
The dull paint looks... Blah

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
Old 06-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
wow.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Scooby24

There's no end to their bullshit.

I filed a BBB complaint and here's the response I got from the BBB rep.

Quote:
We received the following response to your complaint submitted against the above mentioned company "The customers complaint is for a different wheel brand not iForged."
iForged is the company name. Forgestar is their brand. If I cannot file a complaint to the company iForged for their forgestar brand, I cannot log a BBB complaint since there is no company called Forgestar published....only iForged.

Now I've got to provide any an all documentation supporting the claim that Forgestar is iForged.

I sent them this picture along with my e-mails with Crystal whose e-mail happens to be Crystal@iforged.com

Old 06-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

What? I didn't know they were iforged?
That does explain a lot tho. I've read horror stories about Iforged's customer service too.
That's sad, I used to like forgestar, not anymore tho.

Last edited by Snik; 06-29-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Not that you would invest more money in your new wheels, but a comparison of service and turn around time.

I dropped my 4 M5 wheels off for refurb at a vendor with a good rep, next day, called to say 2 of 4 wheels need to be straightened, I give the go ahead. These guys are the real deal, not a mobile type refinishing service, although they do off some mobile work as well. They have a specialized machine with rollers to straighten wheels, a large CNC lathe to clean up lips, media blast cabinets, spray booth, baking oven, Hunter Road Force Balancer, touchless tire machine and more.

Early morning of day 4, I get a picture texted to me. Not sure why it took weeks for someone else to resolve an issue?

Wheels fully media blasted, straightened, painted and powder coated with Shadow Chrome which is no easy task. This included mounting and road force balancing my 4 new tires.

They also phosphate rinse and bake the wheels after media blasting to make sure the wheels are not contaminated before paint/powder coating begins.

They are one of a handful of shops that supposedly are factory authorized to do the Shadow Chrome work?

Below is the result, I will not pick them up for a few more days, but the camera phone picture sure looks good!

For reference, Prince Wheel Service Monroe, NC. They will refurb wheels shipped to them as well.

Many good reports on other forums for these guys. I was impressed with their tools and capabilities, I have no doubt I will be happy when I pick up my wheels next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M5 Wheels.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	458545  

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Snik
OEM ///Member

Prince wheel service in Monroe NC or prince wheel service Monroe?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #13
jfoj

Prince Wheel Service in Monroe, NC outside of Charlotte.

They fully paint/powder coated wheels, even inside barrel where tire covers rim and the backs of the wheels are black.

I am telling you this is probably superior to many new wheels like the OP. Wny would you not want the rear of the wheels to be black anyway with all the road grime and brake dust!

Hell if I was the OP, I would prefer the shadow chrome to bare/clear aluminum?

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
Scooby24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

They fully paint/powder coated wheels, even inside barrel where tire covers rim and the backs of the wheels are black.

I am telling you this is probably superior to many new wheels like the OP. Wny would you not want the rear of the wheels to be black anyway with all the road grime and brake dust!

I do like that color a lot. Ideally what I'm wanting is something like a hyper silver or similar. Something really bright and lustrous, almost polished look in the sun, but silver in lower lights.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

Thanks. I might try them when I split my DPEs and have the pieces colored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
jfoj

Hyper silver is like shadow chrome without the black under coat. More shops can do hyper silver than shadow chrome. Shadow chome is a difficult 2 parts light silver over black.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
350ZBOY

My Ride: TL type S
Sorry to hear this man, You should definately keep posting this around the forums. Sad how they try getting away with these things. Goodluck!
no offense to the owners on here, but I've never met a 350Z owner that wasn't a douche. are you a douche?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Scooby24

Bump, my BBB complaint was "addressed" with them denying any color alteration and considered it "case closed"

This is what forgestar believes is the same color and has refused to address. Be warned, if the color did indeed not change, than this is what their bright silver will look like with their new clear coat supplier. It is anything but bright, or silver.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #19
330iZSP

My Ride: 2002 330i
That is horrible service! You'd think that with what you pay for these wheels they would make it right.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
Scooby24

I have good news to report. Forgestar and myself have reached an amicable solution and my issue is resolved.