E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
Chris Harris: E46 M3 is the perfect sports car

Looks like we made a good choice gents

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
OzJustin

My Ride: E46 M3 (soon)
That was a really interesting watch. Thanks for sharing.

Definately promotes the M3 up to E46 series in a very positive light.
OzJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
M Shark

My Ride: '04 M3
Makes me want to keep my M3 for as long as I can. Especially since mine has no sunroof, no powered seats, no navigation, and all that waste of weight and space that most M3's have. I'm sure down the road (20-30 yrs? maybe) this would be worth something.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shark View Post
Makes me want to keep my M3 for as long as I can. Especially since mine has no sunroof, no powered seats, no navigation, and all that waste of weight and space that most M3's have. I'm sure down the road (20-30 yrs? maybe) this would be worth something.
why?
look back in time. what'd be an awesome e30 to have? one with optional heated seats? with electric windows? with abs?
things that are ahead of it's time when the car is released are always desirable.
an m3 that has technology that is 10 years behind probably won't be worth more than others.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Firstboost

My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
why?
look back in time. what'd be an awesome e30 to have? one with optional heated seats? with electric windows? with abs?
things that are ahead of it's time when the car is released are always desirable.
an m3 that has technology that is 10 years behind probably won't be worth more than others.
I disagree...

Down the road, someone isn't going to be thinking about the bells and whistles, expesically in a car that didn't have many to begin with. The E46 wasn't really AHEAD of the time in 2001. Hell, you're talking about a car, that in 2001, had a HUGE car phone in the center console.

What M Shark means, is that since his, and MY M3 are more rare(mine is a ZCP along with no sunroof/power seats among many other unique features), they will demand a premium down the road.

I already have people asking if I'm selling, and they're willing to shell out $27K at the drop of a hat for a 2006 ZCP with 70K on the clock. I don't think anyone is going to see that kind of money for a standard 2006 M3 fully loaded with even less miles. Keep in mind I don't have bi-xenon lights, HK sound, or cruise control. I do have heated non-power seats with headlight washers though... another unique option package the PO asked for from BMW.
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
eh maybe. maybe with the lack of sunroof and a rare color combo.
but honestly, nobody gives a rats ass about manual seats. if anything it's just an annoyance. it's also very easy to change and will not make a car more or less desirable in the future.
also in 1999 a fully loaded e46 was pretty freakin advanced. had optional navigation, xenon headlamps, 17" wheels.
even in the luxury market those things were rare.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
jeskaM3

My Ride: E46 M3 Coupe ('01)
Chris Harris knows his stuff. I love that he thinks so highly of my car. I also love that he likes the "clean" ones (minimal to no mods).
jeskaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
KrasivataSabine

My Ride: 323Ci
I share the sentiment expressed here. Driving pleasure is involvement, feeling connected to the machine. I feel like that view is given little appreciation these days.

#BattleBimmer #323RS
KrasivataSabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
capttrousers

My Ride: 04 M3 vert TiAg
Good little film! Thanks for posting
Old 07-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
beemdubya

My Ride: 2004 m3
e46///m FTW!!!!
04 imola m3 smg--18" Custom stepped style 5's/angel eyes/projector fogs/carbon fiber interior wrap/alcantara boots/smoked turn signals/black grilles/deleted side markers/sharkfin removed/cross drilled slotted rotors/20% tint/h&r coils/tms camber plates/adjustable rear camber arms/Custom Performance RT/Supersprint x-pipe/Agency power muffler/AA Stage 1
beemdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
BUMP...'cause it's true!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
All my cars are manual and they will always be manual because I'm a MAN
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
paulyyd

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by makecopies View Post
This
paulyyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
If I can find a CLEAN 6 speed E46 M3 when the time comes, this would be no question, but its a dying breed

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #16
M Shark

My Ride: '04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
eh maybe. maybe with the lack of sunroof and a rare color combo.
but honestly, nobody gives a rats ass about manual seats. if anything it's just an annoyance. it's also very easy to change and will not make a car more or less desirable in the future.
also in 1999 a fully loaded e46 was pretty freakin advanced. had optional navigation, xenon headlamps, 17" wheels.
even in the luxury market those things were rare.
Don't forget the weight disparity of having power seats and manual seats. And have you used manual seats before? It's way quicker to adjust than powered seats.

Also listen to about 8:50 on the video and what Mr Harris has to say about cars that have lesser technology in them.

Last edited by M Shark; 10-09-2012 at 04:04 AM.
M Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shark View Post
Don't forget the weight disparity of having power seats and manual seats. And have you used manual seats before? It's way quicker to adjust than powered seats.

Also listen to about 8:50 on the video and what Mr Harris has to say about cars that have lesser technology in them.
Manual seats are 2 lbs per seat lighter than power.

You never have to wait on power seats because seat memory means they're always in your position.

Manual seats don't hold you in place well because they don't have adjustable side bolstering and cause back pain because they don't have lumbar support.

My first e46 M3 had manual seats because I was thinking like you were. Never again. They're far, far worse.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The only M3 that will carry a substantial premium over the "standard" model will be the one that was never offered for sale in North America: the CSL. That having been said, the M3 has always been a relatively spartan car, compared with other premium market cars of its era, but this was done deliberately. While the M3 may not have offered cutting edge electronics, what it did offer was cutting-edge performance at the price. While 333 bhp and a 4.7 second naught to 60 acceleration time are relatively commonplace in 2012, they weren't in 2001. The 2001 Porsche 911 (which cost substantially more money) had less power than the M3, and wasn't any quicker. Even the 2001 Corvette only had something like 350 bhp, and that was out of a 6.2 litre engine. Specific power output exceeding 100 bhp per litre from an engine without forced-induction was rare in 2001 (indeed, it still is). Yes, the current M3 is more powerful (414 bhp), as power outputs have climbed over the past decade, but the newer cars are even bigger and heavier, and rely even more on computerized assists for everything. The more work the computer does, the faster the car may be, but the more irrelevant the driver becomes. As I have always said, a 2012 Toyota Camry is both more powerful and faster than a 1963 Jaguar E-Type, but I know which one I'd rather be driving (and it isn't Japanese).
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
3ric

My Ride: 06 M3 ZCP
I believe a zcp manual will carry a premium. I just bought one at a premium as they are hard to get in Interlagos blue with a cinnamon interior. A car is worth what the right buyer will pay and for many these features are sought after and supply is limited, therefore price will reflect that.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Can you get milk from those things? haha.

It would be neato if it commanded a premium one day, but it's a moot point to me as I plan on keeping mine indefinitely.