E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Does front axle have a join that allows outer boot swap without pulling out axle?

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  dmann80 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to replace my driver side front outer CV boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig5L-unbCi0

At 0:19 of this video it looks like once
1) the hub is removed
2) the old outer boot is cut away

that a tap on the CV Joint housing will uncouple a join at the CV Joint.

If that's the case, the small end of the CV boot can be slipped on and after the cleaning of the CV Joint (in the video) that the section can be snapped back in and the boot can be packed and clamped.

The advantage is that the inner boot would not be disturbed. Also, it looks like it would not be necessary to remove the axle end from the differential.

Has anyone tried the outer CV boot replacement using the technique?

#2 ·
You could do it that way if you loosened the knuckle and pushed the axle back towards the front diff to slip it out of the hub.

I don't recommend using engine degreaser unless you make sure it is completely evaporated and residue cleaned. It can break down and dissolve any fresh grease you pack in the CV's. Most instructions for CV boot kits state this and recommend using soap and water to clean the CV's. Blow them out with air to help evacuate the soap/water.

#3 · (Edited)
That's how I did mine, and that's how it's supposed to be done.
Pulling the axle out of the diff is very easy and is a no-brainier.

#9 · (Edited)
Since I needed to order this boot replacement tool and was looking at at least 1 week getting it into Canada, I decided to have my indy replace the boot immediately after it tore. The cost was $300 plus the cost of the boot and I was able to continue using my factory axle.

There is this video on using the air powered boot stretcher. He doesn't work on an E46 though....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEKY0uFlBpc

It also looks like the boot material is specially made to stretch. They are sold by the distributor of the tool. I'd suggest checking that ECS means by rubber vs plastic CV boots ...can standard OE boots like Meyle and FEBI can be stretched like this?
http://productsthatwork.com.au/products/stretchcv-index.php

#6 ·
IMO its easier to just replace the whole axle. I found A1 Carodone remans for around 100 dollars a side with boot kits costing about 20. Its possible damage is already done to the axle from not having grease in it if you didn't find it quick enough. For an extra 80 dollars you get to have a new axle and save time on the install and not get all dirty replacing the boot and greasing it only to have it leak and do the job again. Just how I looked at it and replaced both axles. Also get the seals on the dif from bmw if you change your cv axles.

#7 ·
If the axle is original equipment and if it hasn't been damaged then IMO I would clean repack and replace the boot. Original equipment axles are the best (GNK LOBRO) There is a flood of cheap aftermarket axles that have entered the remanufacturing stream. They fail early and people send them in for the cores on remans when they have to replace them again. There are several reports of these cheap axles being used and sent out as reman's. If you have GNK's hold on to them and rebuild them if you must new ones are expensive.

#15 ·
If I order and the seller will send by parcel post or letter class mail, it will usually arrive without brokerage or duties (unlike UPS shipments!!!)
If the seller uses Priority Mail for speed and tracking I might get charged $8 service and 5% GST. But not always. Pelican likes using Priority Mail. BavAuto will send by mail as well if you ask.

#16 · (Edited)
Ah right on. I've only used http://www.thebmwpartstore.com and umnitza and got away with no duties on both :)

However it does drive me mad when I see the price online compared to what stuff is here locally or on the "canadian" parts sites.

IE.. Just had to purchase upper and lower spring pads to do my rear coil.. locally $45. Online it was $20. :censor:

When I did my rear axle and the rebuild process I ordered the stuff had it shipped to a border location (www.kinek.com) then went over and picked it up I even brought my own axle into the states and shipped it back to get my core money back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.