E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
sarahkate

My Ride: 03 e46 325xi
Crayon-smelling interior?

I just got my 03 325xi and I adore it. It's 9 years old, so obviously it's not brand new, but even after Febreze and carfresheners galore, my interior kind of smells like crayons. Sort of a waxy, not unpleasant smell which I don't even notice but my friends and my mother do. I'm thinking the previous owner had little kids and may have had crayons in the car that melted, but I can't find any stains or wax residue.

What can I do to clean the smell out? Is this just a normal smell for the leather to get after so long?

Also, what is the best product to clean cloudy headlights?

Thanks,
Sarah

Last edited by sarahkate; 07-11-2012 at 07:42 PM.
sarahkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Manny330

My Ride: 02 330i
Send a message via AIM to Manny330
Haha kids are not the culprit, bmws and other German cars are known for their interiors smelling like crayons. I kinda like it lol. Just find and air freshener a stick with febreeze and you're set..

As far as the head light restoration I would look into buying brand new covers.. they are really easy to switch out( just a couple of clips). They have headlight restoration kits but meh the new covers will make the headlights good as new

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Bimmer App
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
xphiledan

My Ride: 01 330i, 89 325i
All bmws smell like crayons...
xphiledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
mkodama

BMW used sound deadening in some parts of the car that is made of a material similar to wax. You can take it out if you want, as it doesn't do a big deal of sound deadening. There is one piece under the rear seats, just sitting there. One piece on top of each of the rear wheel wells under the carpeting, and I think there is one piece under the rear shelf, but that is a little harder to get to.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate View Post
Your other question was answered so I'll answer this one. As was mentioned, you can always buy a new pair of headlight covers for around $70ish. If you want to save some cash, you can do the 3M headlight restoration kit. I've used this several times with stellar results. It costs ~$15.

Now the catch. The 3M kit sands off the top layer of plastic on the headlights in order to remove the yellowing and haze. If you have severe pitting and/or cracking, you will have to get new lens covers. Also, when you sand off the outer layer of plastic, you are sanding off the built in UV protection in the plastic. This means the headlights will yellow and haze much faster than before. You can mitigate this issue by coating the lens with a good wax or sealant which will significantly, not totally, slow down the hazing/yellowing.

Good luck!
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #6
TOGWT

My Ride: Jaguar XKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate View Post

Thanks,
Sarah
Ultra Violet Protection

Original equipment material (OEM) suppliers started to add ultra violet UV-B protection to the surface of the lens in an attempt to reduce the yellowing and cloudiness and prolong the usable life of the lens.

Removing oxidation or scratches from vehicle headlights or brake lights (also polycarbonate) also removes the OEM ultra violet (UV-B) protection.

Surfaces that have yellowed are a sign that the ultra violet (UV) sacrificial coating has failed and must be resurfaced and recoated or the yellowing due to UV damage will return

a) A coating product that contains UV protection
(Opti-Coat or Aquartz) can be used once headlights are polished

b) Using a good quality acrylic urethane clear coat with ultra violet (UV) protection. There are chemicals that are considered UV blockers and other chemicals that work as UV absorbers; they are both different chemicals. Ultra-fine metal oxides deliver superior UV protection and significantly improved transparency and durability. 2K urethanes can be difficult to wipe on or brush apply as they set up quickly on applied surfaces and can leave brush marks, which will distort the optics, a paint spray gun or mall air spray unit is ideal.

In order to restore the lens back to its OEM standards a new UV resistant coating must be re-applied. Once both lenses have been polished to restore clarity, they should be sanded with 1500 grit finishing paper, this ensures the clear coat has a ‘key’ to enable adhesion. When you spray clear coat on the sanded lenses it fills in those light scratches and makes them clear and glossy making them look brand new.

SprayMax® (aerosol spray) is a 2K clear paint: two-component acrylic resins plus isocyanates hardener that contains UV-B protection. (18 USD)

Shake aerosol can vigorously for two minutes before activating. To activate, take the red button from the cap and attach it to the pin on the bottom of the can. Put the top of the aerosol can on stable on a stable surface and push the red button firmly and press the pin into the can. Shake again for two minutes to ensure activator is thoroughly mixed with clear coat.

Apply 2-3 light coats and allow 5-10 minutes between each coat. After the application of the final coat allow approximately 24 hours dry time or use an infra red (IR) drying lamp (recommended)
TOGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
euG!

My Ride: ZHP SALOON
Send a message via AIM to euG!
I only notice that smell with leather interiors. I have alcantara and never experienced it in my car.

Buy new lens' and lamin-x... restorations are usually temporary.

'04 330i ZHP
TiAg/Alcantara
3.46/APEX/KONI/COBY/JAFFSTER
euG! is offline   Reply With Quote