E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
nnacpil

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
The Official Forced Induction Tire/Wheel Thread

I wanted to start a thread for fellow FI enthusiast to inform and educate them on wheel and tire setups. We all know that TRACTION is the biggest issue with FI cars, and we need to know what's worked and what hasn't to save us from wasting money on rubber. This will be a learning curve for me as well because I never owned a 400+ whp car, and would like to know what has worked for people with high powered cars.

Please decribe your experiences with tire brands, sizes, etc. along with wheel specs (offsets, widths, size). I would like to know more info on street tires since I DD my car, but feel free to talk about track tires as well.

I'm currently running staggered OEM 19s wrapped in Michelin Super Sports 245/35/19 and 275/30/19. I plan on buying Apex Arcs-8 18x9.5 et22/18x10 et25 or 10.5 et27. I'm not sure on rear wheel widths yet as I come to you guys for guidance. With this setup, I would like to run 255/35 fronts and 285/35 rears. Any input would be great!!

Tires that have been suggested toward my setup (street, DD, and works well in rain): Nitto NT05 and Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s.

Alright guys.. School me and others

2006 BMW lllM3 SilverGrayMetallic/Cinnamon/Apex Arc-8
llHPF/ProEFI Stage 2.25 w/6766
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
nnacpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
You need new tires. Judging by my ride in Commanderwiggens car NT05's are the bed bang for your buck. I'm sure there there is
Some better rubber out there, but you'll be paying for it.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
nnacpil

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
You need new tires. Judging by my ride in Commanderwiggens car NT05's are the bed bang for your buck. I'm sure there there is
Some better rubber out there, but you'll be paying for it.
Yes I know!! I wish I did more research before buying those tires, but they are fairly new and can probably sell them. NT05s have been a popular choice.

2006 BMW lllM3 SilverGrayMetallic/Cinnamon/Apex Arc-8
llHPF/ProEFI Stage 2.25 w/6766
SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!
nnacpil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnacpil View Post
Yes I know!! I wish I did more research before buying those tires, but they are fairly new and can probably sell them. NT05s have been a popular choice.
Most of the Local R35 GTR's run the NT05s.

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
I personally haven't tried the RE-11's but I have driven several track days and over 20,000km on NT05's in the last two years...love these tires. Like Dallas said...best bang/buck ratio. Someday I may try the RE-11's...but probably not And yes I DD my car and the NT05's are great in the rain.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
JakeR

My Ride: 2006 M3
Rims and Tires

Went from 19" ZCPs to 18" x10.5 rear. Offset was subject of much debate. Worked with John at CCW in Fla, extremely knowledgeable and makes great wheels. Went with 38offset. Most think too deep but it's not. John insisted there was more room on inner/backside than most think. He was correct, about 20 min of pounding back side of wheel well with small hammer and no contact whatsoever on back. Minor contact on outer, but I am running 305s. Best tire for straight line is MT ET street. Currently running Nitto 555. Mine is stage hpf 2.5 making 700whp. I have solid traction in second with minimal spin with MTs and slightly less traction with Nittos, but they last a bit longer.
JakeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #7
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
I'm running 255/30/19's T1R's in front and 305/35/18's MT ET Street Sports in the rear. I love this set up! I hoop in 2nd gear with over 800 rwhp! I have over 8,000 miles on my rears with 25% thread left!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
ILLuSioNz X

My Ride: 03 TiAg E46 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeR View Post
Best tire for straight line is MT ET street. Currently running Nitto 555. Mine is stage hpf 2.5 making 700whp. I have solid traction in second with minimal spin with MTs and slightly less traction with Nittos, but they last a bit longer.
How did you like the NT555 in the curves? I recently purchased a set for my car, and I hear they are good high hp application tires, however I heard nothing about them in the twisties.

~450rwhp here.

Check out my for sale threads: Misc. OEM E46 M3 Steering Wheel Parts | (2) H&R 2.5" 650lb/in coilover springs - $85

Last edited by ILLuSioNz X; 07-23-2012 at 09:57 AM.
ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #9
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Went from 19" ZCPs to 18" x10.5 rear. Offset was subject of much debate. Worked with John at CCW in Fla, extremely knowledgeable and makes great wheels. Went with 38offset. Most think too deep but it's not. John insisted there was more room on inner/backside than most think. He was correct, about 20 min of pounding back side of wheel well with small hammer and no contact whatsoever on back. Minor contact on outer, but I am running 305s. Best tire for straight line is MT ET street. Currently running Nitto 555. Mine is stage hpf 2.5 making 700whp. I have solid traction in second with minimal spin with MTs and slightly less traction with Nittos, but they last a bit longer.
That's good news on the nt555. Are u able to hook 2ndon those or just the MT?
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
JakeR

I have to modulate throttle a bit with 555 in 2nd but still pretty solid pull. I have consistently pulled high 3 second 0-60 with them on Vbox.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
I have to modulate throttle a bit with 555 in 2nd but still pretty solid pull. I have consistently pulled high 3 second 0-60 with them on Vbox.
WOW! That is really incredible. Nice!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
I've rode with CW running the nt05. I was surprised at just how well they hold traction with his power level. I would get a set of those for DD if they made my size.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
R888's.. I put R888's on Kenton's car after driving on his NT05's.. it was night and day. But they're noisy and wear fast, not to mention expensive.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #14
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
R888's.. I put R888's on Kenton's car after driving on his NT05's.. it was night and day. But they're noisy and wear fast, not to mention expensive.
Never owned them..yet.
But apparently the R888's seems to be one of the best choices for a trade off of wear(sort of), handling and traction. The tires do almost everything well except deep standing water so I have heard. I think they do just fine in normal light rain. Is that correct?

They dont come in every size and aspect ratio, but they make a lot of High HP car owners very happy. You can street them, HPDE them(specialize), and even hook up OK for an occasional trip down the strip.

They run a bit less expensive than similar sized Re-11's or Dunlop Star Specs....maybe 30 dollars a tire cheaper. At least on Tirerack.com.

They may not be the best choice if you live in Washington State or other rainy areas.

How scary are they (or not) in a downpour, Marcus? Its not like you cant pull over. Heck i have done that with my RE-11's which had deep rain grooves.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-20-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #15
mbdarkwinter

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3 HPF S2
I have NT05's on the front, RE-11's on the back atm, likely will go all NT05's all around when these rears go, there just isn't enough difference that I can tell to make up for the cost. Still have the stock Dunlops on the GTR, they are good so far but very loud.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
Bdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdarkwinter View Post
I have NT05's on the front, RE-11's on the back atm, likely will go all NT05's all around when these rears go, there just isn't enough difference that I can tell to make up for the cost. Still have the stock Dunlops on the GTR, they are good so far but very loud.
RE 11's have gotten too expensive. No sales. I like the Dunlop Star Specs a lot but they are no bargain either. I just cant believe sometimes how much tires cost. Its one of those purchases that just didn't ever seem like any kind of good deal.

I am quite pleased I went to 17's in the rear now. I finally am buying some pretty nice rubber at a lot more reasonable price. 315mm tires for 200 a piece feels great.

So strange. BMW owners have an abject phobia of using 17 inch wheels as if they were somehow inferior, when just the opposite is true when fitting 300mm plus tires in the rear. Big HP cars on other sites dont bat any eye when fitting wide 17's. It just so practical I cant believe all the resistance to doing it. There are even acceleration advantages to keeping the tire diameters small/short.

Last edited by Bdave; 07-20-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
All the pounding etc is not needed to run the mt 305/35

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 07-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
JakeR

It was in mine, there were a number of contact points on back side
Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
It was in mine, there were a number of contact points on back side
Yes because of your Offset. correct offset and there would be zero body modding needed.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
JakeR

No, with lower offset u make serious contact with outer edge of well/fender and or sticking out behind the car with 305s. I had multiple other offsets. Doesn't work.