E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Do you lock your vert?

Do you lock your car when it is parked?
I have nothing of real value in my car.
I'd hate to have somebody slash my top.
It costs more than any thing in the car.
Of course slashing a top is more obvious than
opening a door . . .

thoughts?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
TonyDiv

My Ride: 03 325Ci Convertible
Unless they see something that they really want inside the car (ie a laptop), if they are going to the trouble to slash the top, they pretty much intend to steal the car.
If you leave it unlocked, you invite the 'crime of opportunity', the person who wouldn't break a window or slash the top, but since the car is open, they figure that they 'might as well help themselves'.
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
MyNewRag

My Ride: 05 ///M Convertible
Yes...

I was a little worried when I got my first E36, fought the urge to leave it unlocked, have never had a problem.

I lock it with the top up or down anytime it's not in the garage.

I'm sure my day will come, but I figure... If they are going to get in the car, the top will just be an added cost to the rest of the damage they are going to do.

My piece of mind for the rest of the times is worth it.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
halohead52

My Ride: E46 330CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewRag View Post
Yes...

I was a little worried when I got my first E36, fought the urge to leave it unlocked, have never had a problem.

I lock it with the top up or down anytime it's not in the garage.

I'm sure my day will come, but I figure... If they are going to get in the car, the top will just be an added cost to the rest of the damage they are going to do.

My piece of mind for the rest of the times is worth it.
Agreed. Since the vert is my second car, I don't take it to the airport. Anywhere else, i lock it and don't worry. Besides, although I have never slashed a vert top I suspect it isn't that easy--several layers, and you'd need a sharp knife. Don't leave your vinyl record collection sitting on the front seat and it should be OK.

BTW, Did you get the drive-by damage repaired?
halohead52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Keaton1

My Ride: 2001 330 CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by halohead52 View Post
Besides, although I have never slashed a vert top I suspect it isn't that easy--several layers, and you'd need a sharp knife.
Unfortunately, it isn't as hard to cut as you'd wish it was.

Which is the reason my vert has a brand new top! Right before I bought it a year ago, someone slashed the old top to get into it; although I think the prior owner had left something out where it could be seen, like a GPS if I remember correctly. The slashed top breakin was one of the reasons she decided to sell it, and got a new folding hardtop 3 series BMW vert so the same thing couldn't be done to it (though of course a thief could just bust out the window)

I do lock mine, just never leave anything where it can be seen.
Keaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
The city I live in pretty much guarantees some homeless person will smash your windows or slash the top if they see anything of value. Thus I'm less paranoid about locked/unlocked or top up/down than about leaving anything of value in sight.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Does not matter if it is a vert, coupe, or sedan. You should never leave anything in plain view in your car. Always put everything in the trunk.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Crestwood1001

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I keep nothing in my sedan, and it's ALWAYS locked, I keep the glove box locked at all times even though all that's in there is all the manuals and my insurance and registration cards. The only thing that's always out is my phone mount, whenever I'm not using my charger it is folded nicely and in the sunglasses holder
Crestwood1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Always.....even with the top down and the windows up.
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
ExitBuddy

My Ride: 2008 335i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUUUUUV View Post
Always.....even with the top down and the windows up.
+1

If the delinquent wants something in the car (or the car itself) that badly, they will find a way to get it, soft top or no. With a claim, the insurance company will investigate to see if you did all you could to reduce your risk (ie, lock the doors and windows up).

Last edited by ExitBuddy; 07-22-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: additional info
ExitBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Offshore24

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Locked and loaded. I park in a garage when in the city at work. Just another car amongst 100's. Plenty to choose from if you want to break in. Nothing in sight but a hat. Only vehicle I had broken into was missing a winter jacket. Hope it kept him warm. Insurance covered window.
Offshore24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Why leave it down in the first place? It only takes a few mins to put it back down... I always put my top down as iam pulling into a parking spot. Are you really in that much of a hurry that your willing to risk getting your things stolen or your interior harmed because you can't hold a button for a few mins to put your top up? Your over analyzing the whole situation...put the top up lock the doors and continue on with your day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #13
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWOODM3 View Post
Why leave it down in the first place? It only takes a few mins to put it back down... I always put my top down as iam pulling into a parking spot. Are you really in that much of a hurry that your willing to risk getting your things stolen or your interior harmed because you can't hold a button for a few mins to put your top up? Your over analyzing the whole situation...put the top up lock the doors and continue on with your day.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

You meant to say "top UP" in the second line of your post, right? You use the term correctly later on...twice.
Just checking.
I agree with you 100%, BTW.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
dyarstraits

My Ride: 330CIC
Funny I had a very drunk woman come up to me as I was leaving a bowling alley ask me how I could leave the top down when parked there. I think she was hitting on me due to my ride so I played it cool and told her I leave my box of hundred dollar bills locked in the trunk. I then said the only thing I have to worry about is wasted women with muffin tops throwing up in my car. She got the hint and moved on.
dyarstraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
I like walking up to my car and having it ready to go. For me, that means top down, unless it it is raining.
Near as I can tell it takes about 30 sec to put up or take down top. Not too bad, but I hate waiting, what can I say?
I always lock my car when I walk away. If nothing else this locks glovebox and trunk.
I was curious what other people did. When I can program my car to lower (and rise) the top via remote, I'll be much more likely to park it with the top up.
I carry $500 deductible on my car - there is nothing in there worth that - perhaps it is best to provide the thieves
easy access to something that means nothing to me (maybe I should leave an old obsolete ipod on the front seat for them to take)
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
Why leave it unlocked? It's an invitation to get in easier or for some homeless to sleep whenever they wanted. I wouldn't want to sit in it after someone that hasn't bathed in weeks slepted there. If someone wanted to cut the top they would do it no matter if the doors are locked or not. Most important, never leave anything of value in it whether it's visible or not.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Never, but I usually have a 100 pound Rottweiler sitting in the back seat.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #18
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
My top was slashed.. I now call my car 'Stitch'
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #19
BrownMagic

My Ride: Stays topless
Damn, first sorry to all who have had their tops slashed. I literally use my M for basic errands around town, no real daily driving so wherever I go I leave the top down, windows down and lock it. I mainly lock it so my trunk wont open with the push of the trunk handle button and also because it gives my SMG pump an extra couple seconds of priming when I unlock it and come back. Crime here on the west side of Madison is pretty low depending on where you are, but if I venture out of my comfort zone I will put the top up.

Come to think of it, I don't know the last time I have had my top up really... I do raise it once a month just to keep it all moving and lubricated but otherwise it sits in the garage down (temperature controlled parking) and if it's raining I drive my Rover.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #20
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Why would you even leave it unlocked? Personally, if I had a vert, the only time I'd have my roof down when I'm not in the car, is if I'm just popping off for two seconds but the car is still in plain sight. For example a gas station. Every other time, I'd be afraid some a-hole would jump in it or a bird would take a **** in it.

Still, regardless coupé, vert, sedan or touring, ALWAYS lock your car.

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote