E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
napaxcon

My Ride: 02 325i
Exclamation new radiator new problems

so here it is, i was leaving work the other day and had my car in sport mode i took off from a red light accelereating pretty quick... not to hard, just buzzing around . all of the sudden i noticed steam coming from my hood i looked down and my car did not shift it was red lined. so i pull over notice the ratiator spewing out coolant at the plastic elbow attached to it... today i replaced the radiator and now my car is over heating. i put everything back together right!. i changed the tsat, water pump, belts some pullys expansion tank just recently. and as i was taking off the expantion tank to change the radiatior the trans tstat broke and shot up in the air. so i changed that today to. now for some reason my car is over heating , i bled the system properly ! the problem is there is endless air in there i have been bleeding it for the past six hours and have never had to do it for more than 20 min before. i dont know whats wrong , its just air and steam coming out the bleeder screw then some coolant. but as i let the car warm up, more air and steam followed by more coolant ect. is it possable by my car over heating the first time it blew the new t stat? if i feel the top raid hose its really hot and i can feal air bubbles or boiling in there. maybe its the new tstat for the trans? i have no leaks so what is the prob.there is also no heat when set to 91! im going to try putting in the old tstat tommorrow and see if that was it and if not its going to the shop and i really dont want to do that.... any info or ideas please.

Quick info about the car_ 02 325i sedan, 124,000 miles, new vanos seals and rattle repair, water pump, tstat..both, serpentine and ac belt, sway bar links , tie rods, control arms, brakes, rotors, stock airbox put back in today.
napaxcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Overheating can destroy a thermostat in my experience. Your car shouldn't be heating up that much during bleeding. If it is, there is something more than trapped air wrong.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: e46
is it bubbling like its maybe losing compression into the coolant system?
//Maxwelljuppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
Your going to have to drain your coolant from the block. Try to drain into a clean container to see if theres anything other than coolant coming out. You likely over filled the expansion tank, your failure sounds catastrophic. Or at least you make it sound that way. Unfortunately bro man dude. All that stuff you did. You may have to do most of it again. This time pay a little more attention to detail.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
napaxcon

Ya like I said im going to try the old tstat to see if that's the problem first , then ill move on to whatever I can think of next. And no I didn't over fill the expantion tank and I always pay attention to detail. The cooling system is not that complicated so im pretty sure ill figure out the problem soon.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
First, try bleeding when cool using an alternative method. Search me, "bleeding 4K rpms 20 secs.' I hope that one of my posts comes up for you.

Also, you know you can just remove the thermostat from the housing and try that. If coolant is totally fresh, you can reuse it if you're able to catch and strain it (use paint strainer)...but in my experience, it's not worth it.

I think while you're trouble shooting, that you 'should' drain from block, fill SLOWLY with distilled (even slower than that!) while in pos 2, heater on high, fan on low (usual bleeding instructions).

You were bleeding while the car was hot, so you'd expect to see bubbles come up and the coolant rise.

If you didn't replace ET cap, that would be one place you might get lucky.

Also, there are two issues with bubbles that I know of...one, they can block a passage, and two, they can cause the wp to cavitate and not pump coolant at all.

I'll assume all components were OE...if not, AM therm is often a problem.

If you haven't done it yet, check radiator from underneath. Many here put in the wrong radiator or its leveling screw. My replacement Behr didn't have the screw like my original OE rad did, so you need the right Behr. If you have an OE rad with leveling screw, you might have the wrong screw in and thus you'd leak from behind the ET bracket.

Right now, since you've almost replaced everything (only hoses and temp sensor are still original it sounds like), I hope it's just a little thing and doesn't require that you replace everything again. But don't assume anything new is working right...they sometimes don't. Also, when a radiator blows, that pressure build up can also break the ET, which gets a fine crack in the corner that's barely noticeable when shut off because it closes up tight. Look closely.

HTH...GL!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
napaxcon

ok so i just went and rebled the system, still nothing. the uper house is hot and lower is cold so its not cycling . so im gonna go switch out the therm and re bleed it right after i crack open this beer,! be back soon with the same problem im sure!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
napaxcon

oh by the way it is a behr radiator it has the new style bleed screw it fits fine
Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by napaxcon View Post
i bled the system properly ! the problem is there is endless air in there i have been bleeding it for the past six hours and have never had to do it for more than 20 min before. i dont know whats wrong , its just air and steam coming out the bleeder screw then some coolant. but as i let the car warm up, more air and steam followed by more coolant ect.
What do you mean "as I let the car warm up"? Are you running the engine with the bleeder screw open?
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
napaxcon

no after i bleed it and it over heated i cracked the bleeder screw open to see if there was a ton of air left in there. BUT ANYWAYS! PROBLEM SOLVED, it was the water pump. cheap shitty as ****ing piece, the whole impeller broke off , i put the old one in and it works fine, ill be reordering an other one in a few weeks. the one i just baught was supposed to be metal but they sent me the wrong one, i put it in anyway. and because of that i blew my radiator, and now my vanos in making that knocking sound again and leaking from the front of the vcg. i just did the seals and rattle repair kit and the vcg and it looks like im gonna have to do it again. first im gonna try an oil change, there is also a bolt holding the front of the valve cover gasket down where it is leaking that broke when i went to make sure it was tight! it was loose and just kept spinning so i twisted it off...... i dunno ill do an oil change and gaskets before i redo the vanos! ****ing bullshit, all because a cheapo waterpump!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
OEM parts man. My brother is going to school for automotive. He stated clearly, OEM is the best quality unless an aftermarket brand has clearly proven itself.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
curious what brand of w/p did you get??
Metal or plastic, the impeller shouldnt fall off ...

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
napaxcon

I think it was a wahler and trust me the whole thing broke to pieces ill upload a pic if I can figure out how
Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
napaxcon

so yeh every thing is running cool now wich is good but theres a ticking sound coming from the waterpump. i thaught it was the vanos but after puting a screw driver to both and my ear its clearly the pump. i have no idea why. it was the old oem waterpump i put that worked fine before so.... any suggestions?

Tags
coolant, diy, expantion tank, overheating, radiator