E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
b spot

My Ride: 325xit
Knuckle Stuck On Strut

I'm trying to do CV boots on my fiance's 325Xit and it's been a bloody nightmare so far.

The lower strut bolt sheared off, and I broke a cobalt bit off inside of it.

I'm trying to get the who knuckle off so I can get it on a bench or to a machine shop to get the sheared bolt off.

I've got a strut spreader in there which has opened it to the point the knuckle will wobble around on the strut a bit, and it probably moved down about 2mm.

It almost seems as if the control arm won't drop any further though. I've beat on the knuckle, jumped on top of the hub, nothing.

What's the deal? Should I separate the ball joint and see if that gets me anywhere?
b spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Undo the upper strut mount to drop the strut assembly down. Then get some sort of tool to bash the strut up and out of the knuckle. BTW, you have disconnected the sway bar end link correct? If not, I suggest you go buy a new one after doing all of this...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
b spot

Sway bar end link is disconnected. If I drop the strut I'll need an alignment after, correct? I was hoping to avoid that....
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
^ you need an alignment after jumping in the hub anyway. Just look where the top nuts are now so you can ballpark it.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
b spot

So every time you do CV boots you need an alignment??
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by b spot View Post
So every time you do CV boots you need an alignment??
No.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
b spot

Can you explain a little more for me?

"Jumping the hub" does that mean removing the knuckle/spindle completely? Dropping the knuckle from the strut and separating the ball joint, tie rod end and sway end link all don't have any room for adjustment, so what part ends up messing your alignment?

Any more tips of how to get the hub off the strut without dropping the strut?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
frostlane

My Ride: 02 325xi
Leave the top bolted in, Air chisel the hub down off the strut with the spreader in the slot. If that doesn't work air chisel down on the hub in the slot (if that makes sense). FYI you're too far now but in the future you don't need to separate the two. You can remove cotter-pin/lower nut on the entire assembly to move it out enough to have the axle slide out/in. Again...sorry if this doesn't make complete sense I've had a long day. Good luck! I've spend hours drilling those bolts out. Once you get the bolt out you can use a longer bolt and double-nut to prevent having to deal with this again.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
b spot

Awesome! Thanks for the tips, I will try tonight. If you can describe the cotter-pin/lower nut part a little more that would be fantastic, as I still have the driver's side to go and don't want to touch that strut bolt again.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Kubica

Remove axle nut
Unbolt endlink
Revome strut pinch bolt
Pop strut from knuckle
Push axle out of hub
Pull axle from diff

If you don't undo the tie-rod or three top strut nuts you won't need an alignment.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
b spot

^ That method is what I was trying for this side, but I mistakenly popped the tie rod joint. I'm hoping to figure out this other method as I'm sure the other side has a seized strut pinch bolt as well, and that added days and $ to what shouldn't be that long of a job... Cobalt drill bits are $
Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
b spot

So ball joint is separated and the control arm dropped a bit further no problems. The strut is ridiculously rusted to the knuckle. I think I'll just give it the multi-day penetrating fluid treatment and see if I can get it. Any harm in banging away at the knuckle now that the strut is loose (attached at the top but not attached to the control arm)?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
sidct

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
The strut has a slight groove where the pinch bolt rests, hence making a interference fitting, when you try to remove the bolt the head usually shears off and the stem of the bolt being slightly larger diameter than the distal threaded part it grabs the strut and keeps the pinched part of knuckle tight on the strut. You choices are limited since drilling out the hardened bolt is very difficult (you will need to drill out the threaded end of bolt without damaging the female threads on knuckle) , you can use a grinder to sacrifice either the strut or the knuckle. I had similarly frustrating experience in trying to remove this bolt. Just keep in mind that if you sacrifice the knuckle ( since it is cheaper of the two) you will also need new wheel bearing. Good luck and keep us posted.

When you enlarge the image you will see the groove just below the pin.
sidct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
b spot

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to take an angle grinder to it and see if I can get just the bolt and not have to buy a new knuckle or strut. Sounds like it may be a bit of a difficult task.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
sidct

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
The url for second image :
http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/imag...1663100OES.JPG
sidct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
b spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidct View Post
oh boy. looking at that, this is going to take some precise angle grinding... haha
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I have an extra knuckle (L ) if you need.

2001 BMW 330xi
2009 Lexus IS-F

Last edited by Rickna; 08-29-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #18
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
You clearly need a bigger hammer sir!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
b spot

Thanks for the offer Rickna, I should have taken you up on that. $100 to get it drilled out and put a through bolt in there... only to discover the bearing is toast... haha. I should have just bought a used hub instead of getting it drilled out. Oh well. $60 for a bearing, and I'll have a good as new hub.