E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
roadtrip1098
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winslow, ME
Posts: 356
My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
SMG Tips and Tricks

If you need troubleshooting, go here.

This thread is only for tips and tricks to activate features of the SMGII transmission. If you have more to add, by all means go ahead. Please try to keep the same type of formatting as below. I know a few other tricks that I will add over time, but this is a start.

Disclaimer: All information on this thread is publicly sourced and is not guaranteed or to be held liable in any way. In other words, if you break your sh** it isn't our fault.

Soft Reset: Confirmed: Travel at 40+ MPH, move the selector lever to "N", pull back on both paddles for 8-10 seconds, move the selector lever back to "D".

Winter Mode: Confirmed: Put car in "D", Traction control "On", Sports Mode "Off", Drive Logic at level 1.
Warning: This will cause premature clutch wear as the car attempts to start off in 2nd gear.

Hill Hold: Confirmed: While on a hill and in "S" mode, pull back and hold the "-" paddle until RPM's elevate. This will partially engage the clutch and hold you on the hill.
Warning: Again, pre-mature clutch wear. If you're not moving within 1-2 seconds of using this, you shouldn't be using it.

Emergency Acceleration Mode: Confirmed: "D" Mode "A" on some models. This is just a special mode BMW put in as a "safety feature" Basically just mat the gas. Traction control and clutch engagement will operate in such a way that the vehicle accelerates at its optimum ability for the given conditions.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Westrace
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 178
My Ride: 06 G35, 04 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Winter Mode: Confirmed: Put car in "D", Traction control "On", Sports Mode "Off", Drive Logic at level 1.
Warning: This will cause premature clutch wear as the car attempts to start off in 2nd gear.
Are you sure this will cause premature clutch wear?
Westrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
roadtrip1098
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winslow, ME
Posts: 356
My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrace View Post
Are you sure this will cause premature clutch wear?
Yes. The car starts off in second gear and has a longer engagement time to keep the wheels from slipping. It would be the same result as if you drove any manual car and slipped 2nd every time you took off. Unfortunately this will cause premature wearing of the clutch - mind you it's not drastic, but it does exist. In my honest opinion, the benefits of Winter Mode are worth it.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
rcsummers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suburbia, NJ
Posts: 3,913
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
Yes. The car starts off in second gear and has a longer engagement time to keep the wheels from slipping. It would be the same result as if you drove any manual car and slipped 2nd every time you took off. Unfortunately this will cause premature wearing of the clutch - mind you it's not drastic, but it does exist. In my honest opinion, the benefits of Winter Mode are worth it.
Winter mode is great. But its only needed if you get caught out when its snowing. I've only had to ever use it once.
__________________
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
tehcbass
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 85
My Ride: bmw e46 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to tehcbass
i think its usefull, i dont need to use it since im in miami though
__________________

Long Nights and Sandy Beaches
tehcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
///mteknikk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 113
My Ride: 02 E46 M3
launch control: turn off traction control, put car in manual mode, sport on, smg in mode 6, hold shifter in the "-" position and hold accelerator down, rpms jump and fluctuate from 1500-2000 rpm. let go of shifter and car launches
///mteknikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
scca_ziptie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 404
My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
Soft Reset: Confirmed: Travel at 40+ MPH, move the selector lever to "N", pull back on both paddles for 8-10 seconds, move the selector lever back to "D".
Really only needs to be for 5 seconds max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098 View Post
Hill Hold: Confirmed: While on a hill and in "S" mode, pull back and hold the "-" paddle until RPM's elevate. This will partially engage the clutch and hold you on the hill.
Warning: Again, pre-mature clutch wear. If you're not moving within 1-2 seconds of using this, you shouldn't be using it.
It will deactivate/disengage this feature automatically after approx 4 seconds if the car doesn't move.


Both are definitely cool tips though, use them both quite often - so far no issues have arisen with the clutch (80k and going strong)
__________________
"! First rule of Italian driving, that which is in your mirror is not important !"
scca_ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Firstboost
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Bay
Posts: 109
My Ride: 2006 Tiag ZCP
Quote:
Soft Reset: Confirmed: Travel at 40+ MPH, move the selector lever to "N", pull back on both paddles for 8-10 seconds, move the selector lever back to "D".


Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie View Post
Really only needs to be for 5 seconds max.
Honestly, unless I'm losing it, you don't even have to be at 40+ MPH. I prefer to do my soft resets coasting to a stop that way it can start all over again reengaging the clutch in 1st instead of finding a gear at a given MPH.

In regards to the Uphill Assist,, or "hill hold" as you've called it.. You can easily tap the paddle again to disengage if you don't intend on moving within 1-2 seconds. It's nice for me because I have a right turn on red on my way to work and sometimes I can use it, others I have to disengage because someone will be flying down the street when I think I have an opening.
Firstboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
NICKBRUM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Posts: 84
My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mteknikk View Post
launch control: turn off traction control, put car in manual mode, sport on, smg in mode 6, hold shifter in the "-" position and hold accelerator down, rpms jump and fluctuate from 1500-2000 rpm. let go of shifter and car launches
Sport mode on or off will not affect LC.
__________________

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
roadtrip1098
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winslow, ME
Posts: 356
My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
I say 8-10 seconds because normally people are freaking out and count too fast but you are 100% correct on both accounts.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
m3e46freak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 'MERICA
Posts: 1,493
My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
What is this... last emergency acceleration? D or A mode?
__________________
Rock Hard Abs Racing


2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
ANREC330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,085
My Ride: C6 Vette & M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstboost View Post
In regards to the Uphill Assist,, or "hill hold" as you've called it.. You can easily tap the paddle again to disengage if you don't intend on moving within 1-2 seconds. It's nice for me because I have a right turn on red on my way to work and sometimes I can use it, others I have to disengage because someone will be flying down the street when I think I have an opening.
I wish I would have known this last Saturday when I was in San Francisco. I had to constantly hold the brake and give it gas at the same time, just so I wouldn't hit the car behind me.
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
launch, modes, reset, smg, smgii

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use