E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
johnnyo1967

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci conve
convertible trouble

i have a 2002 bmw 330cic convertible! the top won't go down! i just bought it at an auction. the right rear window will not go down. the airbag light is on. i'm wondering if the airbag light being on or the window not going down is tripping some computer into not letting the top move! any help would be greatly appreciated!!! i have replaced a couple of regulators on my 2001 325xi before. i'm thinking the motor might be bad or maybe the switch!
johnnyo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Did you check the lever in the trunk? Make sure it's in the correct position, or maybe try opening and closing it. Does the light blink? Does you hear a unusual sound? Do the windows go down? Have you ever had problems with it? Give as much info as you can. And try more researching, theres even a few convertible videos on YouTube. Good luck

-Chris
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
johnnyo1967

i didnt check lever in trunk. i didnt even know it was there! i bouhgt the car at an auction and there was no owners manual! the right rear window does not go down and air bag light is on.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
gzip01

My Ride: BMW
what do the lights indicate when you push the button to open the top?

----- Open up your rear seats and check the motor;
----- Check ur trunk and make sure the hatch is in a position so the top can fold into the trunk. (its located inside the trunk towards the top)
gzip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Toadman

My Ride: 325ci and X3
If the rear window does not go down the top will not open and you will get a blinking red like when you press the down button. You need to figure out what is wrong with the rear window first.
Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
halohead52

My Ride: E46 330CIC
You will find an online owner's manual for your vert at www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/324422
halohead52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
FLarrazabal

My Ride: 325Ci
I have a 325Ci with a few issues, it started with the close when door shut funtion of the front windows. Its the function the lowers the front windows approx 1/4" when you open the doors in order to clear the convertible weather seal. Upon closing the door the windows automatically raise to the full close position. I noticed that when the driver side door is opened, the the door open light on the instrument panel will not come on, the overhead light will not come on and the window will not lower. Also when I use the key remote to unlock the doors, the left door will not unlock, it will however lock with the remote. Everything works fine with the left door. I called the BMW dealer in town and they said it may be a loose wire or maybe it needed a computer reset. About $300.00. I've done some research and those functions are controled by the door lock itself. So I removed the door lock from the door which requires the removal of the airbag, window, and window regulator, a true pain since the window has a number of adjustments. I did not find any loose wires but the door lock did look worn out. I will be ordering a new one soon and hopefully that will fix the problems. After installing everthing back, I noticed that the airbag warning light on the instrument panel was on. I rechecked that the airbag was connected and it was. I did some research and found out that I could reset the computer and that would turn the light off, the maintenace manual also said that after an airbag change the computer may have the be reset. Ok so I find a video that shows how to reset the computer, however I think I've messed something up because now my convertible is acting up. Here is what its doing, I start the car and push the top down button, nothing happens, I lower the windows and then push the top down button again, not the top lowers normally. Now I try to put the top up but nothing happens with the windows up or down. I turn the car off and restart it back up, now the top up button and everything works fine. I tried cycling the the top again, but again same issues, top comes down normaly but have to shut car off then back on, then the top will come back up. Not sure what I have done, also when I tried to reset the computer when I turn the ignition switch to the first position I hear a switching noise comming from the area where the CVM (convertible top module) is located. This is all driving me crazy, I have found the CVM and convertible top manual, but no help there
FLarrazabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
johnnyo1967

top is working! door locks don't work with key.

i put a new pass. side rear motor and regulator out of 2002 m3(kind of a pain!) in aND top works now! only 1 problem left! drivers door doesn't lock or unlock with key! i also lost key so now i can't lock car because in order for new key to be programmed you need to lock door with key! i will take it apart tomorrow and see if anything is unhooked. any ideas?

Last edited by johnnyo1967; 10-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.