E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dice Mediabridge with iPhone5: Will it work?

20K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Pathfinder7 
#1 ·
There have been a few interesting articles out in the last few days speculating which legacy iPhone/iPod accessories (based on the 30 pin connector) will continue to work in the brave new world of the iPhone5's "Lightning" connector. Specifically, the Lightning connector is 100% digital, and while apple will offer an adapter that looks like it converts Lightning -> 30 pin, that connector does no digital-to-analog conversion.

Have a look:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57511834-48/iphone-5-new-ipod-may-leave-some-cars-in-the-dust/
http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/13/apple-lightning-adapter-compatibility-iphone-5/

As a result, any accessories that used to rely on the analog audio signals from the 30 pin connector will be "stuck".

I have a 1-year-old Dice Mediabridge in my '04 330Ci, and, no hating please, it works great for my purposes. I have it wired up with both an iPhone/iPod 30 pin connector and also a 1/8" headphone connector running to my sunglasses cubby below my HVAC controls. My question is this: when I plug in my iPhone using the 30 pin connector, which signal is the Dice unit actually using: the analog signal or the digital one? If it's the analog one, then I'm stuck if I upgrade to the iPhone5. If it's the digital one, then it should be no problem, once I buy the $30 converter from apple.

I know the Mediabrdige is capable of handling a fully digital interface over USB because it can play from a USB stick with no analog output capability at all. But I'm just not sure what it does when both are available. The last detail: do you guys think the answer to this question depends on which "mode" I employ when using my iPhone over the 30 pin connector: full iPhone control vs "locked"/"accessory connected" mode?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
I thought that the 30 pin connector gave off a digital signal that the receiving device decoded and the headphone jack was the analog signal. I've been looking at portable headphone amps and they all use the 30 pin connector rather than the headphone jack because the amps have a built in DAC.

#5 ·
Your Mediabridge will work just fine with Apple's adapter with the iPhone 5 to the best of our knowledge so far! We also are waiting to get our hands on the new phone to do further testing, but on paper everything checks out. We will have further updates on this on our facebook page/website as we have it!

#7 ·
From everything I have heard, the adapter has a built in DAC... hence the $30 price tag. If you read the BGR link above, it points out that this allows the new phone to work with old accessories that use analog audio input.

As I have a Silverline that didn't even work for the iPhone 4s, I imagine even with the adapter the iPhone 5 won't work. I wonder what's going to be the first solution available for us to take advantage of the new connector... or if I'll have to rely on a Mediabridge with bluetooth audio?

#11 ·
Hi All.. I just bought the Audiovox-Dice-Mediabridge 1500-BMW. Before I installed it I did a "Dry Run***8221; and Plugged it into the Wires in the trunk and My Radio (Harman Kardon) recognized it fine. No worries right? I wish. I ran all the wiring and mounted the Mediabridge under the Glove Box. The radio still recognizes the Mediabridge but I cannot connect my iPhone5 via Bluetooth. Here***8217;s what I***8217;ve done.
1. I Confirmed Mediabridge has latest firmware. 2. Followed the Mediabridge instructions. 3. Removed my headphones and my other car (Nissan Altima) from the Bluetooth of my iPhone 5. 4. I even ***8220;cleared***8221; the Mediabridge Bluetooth settings just in case another phone was synced. Still no Bluetooth connection. 5. I then tried my wife***8217;s iPhone 4 and was successful in connecting via Bluetooth. So the iphone4 works. (I also connected to my Altima just to confirm my iphone5***8217;s Bluetooth was on)
Does anyone know why I cannot connect my iPhone 5 using Bluetooth to the Mediabridge? Have you tried it yet? Have you heard any rumors if it***8217;s a iPhone issue or a Mediabridge issue? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#12 ·
I don't yet have an iPhone 5 to test with, but Bluetooth in general can be finicky. Some things you could try:

1. Make sure you are running latest MediaBridge firmware (6518), then try again.
2. Reboot iPhone 5, then try again.
3. Do a 'clear all settings' on the iPhone, then try again.

#13 ·
mediabridge with iphone 5

I tried all that without success. I got a hold of Audiovox who said it is NOT compatible. However, bavariansoundwerks, who I purchased it from says it will. (After many emails). They told me they will make a video explaining this. I'm waiting for that now.

#14 ·
That's a bummer. Funny thing is that Bluetooth is supposed to be standards based, and newer versions are all supposed to be backwards compatible. Bluetooth devices really should 'just work' with each other - that was part of the promise of Bluetooth. Unfortunately that is not how things turned out.

Please keep us posted.

I tried all that without success. I got a hold of Audiovox who said it is NOT compatible. However, bavariansoundwerks, who I purchased it from says it will. (After many emails). They told me they will make a video explaining this. I'm waiting for that now.

#21 ·
When I had the dice media bridge installed in my 03 330i, the USB to lightning cable worked great. No worries. I just couldn't. Get the bluetooth to work but one time for about 10 minutes. I have bluetooth'd several devices with my iPhone 5 with no issues. So, the lighting cable worked fine but my goal was Bluetooth. FYI everyone: Phone calls will only be interupted while the head unit is in BT mode. If your're listening to the radio, you must first switch over to BT to answer the call via the media bridge.

#22 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

For what its worth, I recently installed a brand new MediaBridge in my car and everything works with my iPhone 5. I ran the included USB extension cable from the mediabridge unit behind the glove box into the glove box, and then plugged in the apple USB to Lightning cable into the extension. Music works both over USB and Bluetooth, but sounds much better when plugged in. Audio over the bluetooth has a much more thin and "tinny" quality. Also, When I first started using it I was horrified by a constant hissing sound that would occur briefly about once every second, but disabling the text scrolling completely resolved it (select the mediabridge with the radio "mode" button, then immediately press CD4, left, left).

If anyone has more questions about the install or how it works with the iPhone 5, I'm happy to try to answer them.

Edit: I found the solution for the hissing sound in this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854384

#24 ·
I just did the exact same thing as you about a month ago. I installed my brand new bluetooth media bridge in the same spot as you and it works swimmingly with my iPhone 5 over bluetooth and the lightning connector. Coupled with the steering wheel controls, the entire set up is just incredible.

By the way, I experienced the same ticking noise as you, thank you for the link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.