E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
2004_Blue_Zhp

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Dice Mediabridge with iPhone5: Will it work?

There have been a few interesting articles out in the last few days speculating which legacy iPhone/iPod accessories (based on the 30 pin connector) will continue to work in the brave new world of the iPhone5's "Lightning" connector. Specifically, the Lightning connector is 100% digital, and while apple will offer an adapter that looks like it converts Lightning -> 30 pin, that connector does no digital-to-analog conversion.

Have a look:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...s-in-the-dust/
http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/13/apple-...lity-iphone-5/

As a result, any accessories that used to rely on the analog audio signals from the 30 pin connector will be "stuck".

I have a 1-year-old Dice Mediabridge in my '04 330Ci, and, no hating please, it works great for my purposes. I have it wired up with both an iPhone/iPod 30 pin connector and also a 1/8" headphone connector running to my sunglasses cubby below my HVAC controls. My question is this: when I plug in my iPhone using the 30 pin connector, which signal is the Dice unit actually using: the analog signal or the digital one? If it's the analog one, then I'm stuck if I upgrade to the iPhone5. If it's the digital one, then it should be no problem, once I buy the $30 converter from apple.

I know the Mediabrdige is capable of handling a fully digital interface over USB because it can play from a USB stick with no analog output capability at all. But I'm just not sure what it does when both are available. The last detail: do you guys think the answer to this question depends on which "mode" I employ when using my iPhone over the 30 pin connector: full iPhone control vs "locked"/"accessory connected" mode?

Thanks in advance.
2004_Blue_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
Wondering the same thing.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
I thought that the 30 pin connector gave off a digital signal that the receiving device decoded and the headphone jack was the analog signal. I've been looking at portable headphone amps and they all use the 30 pin connector rather than the headphone jack because the amps have a built in DAC.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
2004_Blue_Zhp

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
The 30 pin connector has both digital and analog outputs in it.

For example, there are adapters that are 30 pin male -> 1/8" female (or male) used to connect to accessories that expect line level analog signals. Like this: http://goo.gl/m8d9U
2004_Blue_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
Your Mediabridge will work just fine with Apple's adapter with the iPhone 5 to the best of our knowledge so far! We also are waiting to get our hands on the new phone to do further testing, but on paper everything checks out. We will have further updates on this on our facebook page/website as we have it!

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
spencers

My Ride: 2006 330i sport
So which does the Mediabridge utilize with their 30-pin dock cord? Digital or analog?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Lobstrosity

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
From everything I have heard, the adapter has a built in DAC... hence the $30 price tag. If you read the BGR link above, it points out that this allows the new phone to work with old accessories that use analog audio input.

As I have a Silverline that didn't even work for the iPhone 4s, I imagine even with the adapter the iPhone 5 won't work. I wonder what's going to be the first solution available for us to take advantage of the new connector... or if I'll have to rely on a Mediabridge with bluetooth audio?
Lobstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
Question I have, is can a USB Lightning cable (like the one that comes with the iPhone 5), be plugged straight into the mediabridge's USB port?
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Hark

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
I think so, or at least this would lead us to believe so: http://www.ceoutlook.com/2012/09/26/...thout-adapter/
Hark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Paco II

Found this as well, so it's definitely sounding good.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...171197911.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hark View Post
I think so, or at least this would lead us to believe so: http://www.ceoutlook.com/2012/09/26/...thout-adapter/
Old 10-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Pearlmcp

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Hi All.. I just bought the Audiovox-Dice-Mediabridge 1500-BMW. Before I installed it I did a "Dry Run" and Plugged it into the Wires in the trunk and My Radio (Harman Kardon) recognized it fine. No worries right? I wish. I ran all the wiring and mounted the Mediabridge under the Glove Box. The radio still recognizes the Mediabridge but I cannot connect my iPhone5 via Bluetooth. Here's what I've done.
1. I Confirmed Mediabridge has latest firmware. 2. Followed the Mediabridge instructions. 3. Removed my headphones and my other car (Nissan Altima) from the Bluetooth of my iPhone 5. 4. I even "cleared" the Mediabridge Bluetooth settings just in case another phone was synced. Still no Bluetooth connection. 5. I then tried my wife's iPhone 4 and was successful in connecting via Bluetooth. So the iphone4 works. (I also connected to my Altima just to confirm my iphone5's Bluetooth was on)
Does anyone know why I cannot connect my iPhone 5 using Bluetooth to the Mediabridge? Have you tried it yet? Have you heard any rumors if it's a iPhone issue or a Mediabridge issue? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Pearlmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Paco II

I don't yet have an iPhone 5 to test with, but Bluetooth in general can be finicky. Some things you could try:

1. Make sure you are running latest MediaBridge firmware (6518), then try again.
2. Reboot iPhone 5, then try again.
3. Do a 'clear all settings' on the iPhone, then try again.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Pearlmcp

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
mediabridge with iphone 5

I tried all that without success. I got a hold of Audiovox who said it is NOT compatible. However, bavariansoundwerks, who I purchased it from says it will. (After many emails). They told me they will make a video explaining this. I'm waiting for that now.
Pearlmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
Paco II

That's a bummer. Funny thing is that Bluetooth is supposed to be standards based, and newer versions are all supposed to be backwards compatible. Bluetooth devices really should 'just work' with each other - that was part of the promise of Bluetooth. Unfortunately that is not how things turned out.

Please keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlmcp View Post
I tried all that without success. I got a hold of Audiovox who said it is NOT compatible. However, bavariansoundwerks, who I purchased it from says it will. (After many emails). They told me they will make a video explaining this. I'm waiting for that now.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
zebrex

My Ride: 2004 330 CIC
My iPhone 5 works fine over bluetooth with the media bridge. I have yet to try plugging the lighting cable into the media bridge. I will get a second one and try it.
zebrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
My 330Ci has a Dice Silverline Pro adapter that's connected to the CD changer connectors in the trunk. My iPhone 5 with the adapter works identically to my iPhone 3GS.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
zebrex

My Ride: 2004 330 CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
My 330Ci has a Dice Silverline Pro adapter that's connected to the CD changer connectors in the trunk. My iPhone 5 with the adapter works identically to my iPhone 3GS.
are you using a USB lighting cable or a 30pin to lighting adapter?
zebrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
30 pin connector with the lightning adapter.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
Jeremy Bavsound
Sponsor

My Ride: Bavsound
As Zebrex and Markus are reporting, and as we have seen the iPhone 5 works with the units we have seen. If you had ordered through us we could exchange that unit for you to see if another works out!

Bavsound | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404.381.1800

Jeremy Bavsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
WBVenom

My Ride: Car 54
Please be more clear: "works" with the iPhone 5 how? In what modes? Bluetooth? USB-to-Lightning cable?

Those of you with the MediaBridge: try it with the USB-to-Lightning cable and we can close this open question for good.
WBVenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice, iphone 5, iphone5, mediabridge