E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Speaker upgrade on the cheap!

Upgrade the rear and front 6.5's with blaupunks, added low passes on the rear. Upgraded 3" mid's to 4" two ways in the front. Removed package tray at same time and wrapped it with matching black leatherette. Removed the cups that the rears sit in cover bottom hole with adhesive sound dampening material, and filled space with polyester batting material. Before reinstalling package tray laid down 1" think batting to prevent any rattles between tray and metal deck. Sound awesome even without an amp. But do have trouble getting below 50 hz. So maybe add one 8" free air sub under deck with small 100 watt amp. I'm not trying to party the block just rock crisp and clear highs and lows on inside. Question? Surround that matches contours of factory stereo, but made to match contours of aftermarket unit as their edges are sharper than the round edges of the stock unit? I have a single din unit with fold out touch screen, built in Bluetooth ect.. But will not install unroll I can find a face plate that matches the contours of the dash.
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
RichReg

My Ride: '00 323Ci & '06 330i
sfcjetjr; Could you elaborate on the adhesive sound dampening material and the polyester batting material? Where did you get it and how is it sold?

I just bought a set of new rear 6.5" midbass woofers for the rear deck of my 323Ci from CDT Audio...in a 2 Ohm version.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CL-6D-2-CDT-...item19ceb37f3d

Thanks,
R.R.
RichReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
sfcjetjr

Hey R.R. I redid the cups with spray on undercoating to thicken the walls of the cups to push more sound out of the top instead of it escaping thru the cheap cups. Can use any kind like at auto parts store. Cost 5$. Batting material is from Walmart. Comes in a roll 81" x 96". Real cheap but will do the job. Pull out enough to pull apart a little it increase air pockets in the layers and fill about 1/2 full. I used the stock mounting brackets, cut off the baskets at the circle frame and used clear silicone to seal and air gaps between mounting plates and cups. Cups should slide up into the bottom of the circle frame on the bottom. If yours where like mine the cups were jus sitting in the hole. So all kinds of air and sound was escaping every where. Goal is to restore to better than factory air tightness. Once I set speakers onto top of ring, making sure centered a touch of silicone around bottom of speaker rim touching ring then screw through speaker mount holes into the plastic mounting ring. Look around the mating surfaces for any holes or gaps and seal with silicone as well. Air tight and ready to get really good response. Don't forget the batting before sealing them up! Good luck!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
sfcjetjr

Oh let silicone set up totally before reinstall. Or sound pressure may push it out the holes.

Sfcjetjr
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
RichReg

Hey thanks a lot for the info....
I'll be looking into all of this as soon as I get the brackets properly mounted to the speakers' frames.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
sfcjetjr

I was experimenting today with my rear 6.5 subs. I did not think they were getting to the lows well enough. Sounded great for only using HU and low pass Cross overs on them, no amp at all. I was thinking of back when I use to run 6x9s and they had no enclosure, but used the trunk as the enclosure. So I had completed complete install, I crawled into the trunk and took a razor to that soft felt that is glued to the bottom of the cup and cut it out totally. Removed batting. Closed up everything got into car and the sound from the rear was 10 times better. Lower bass with less distortion at higher volumes. I'm staying with set up. Sounds awesome. Don't think I need the 8 now unless I all of a sudden listening to low low sounding rap!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
sfcjetjr

Adding 400 watt amp to 6.5 subs in rear tonight! Push them to the limit and see what I can really get out of them.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
RichReg

Wow....you're system sounds like something alright.

I'm just changing out the speakers in the rear deck...got it done with brackets from
here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Speaker-Adapt...p2047675.l2563

They're fit loosely for now, just testing...I think should have ponied up for BSW's speakers, though....

Last edited by RichReg; 10-03-2012 at 08:02 AM.