E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
vicariously13

My Ride: 2004 330ci
In and out of the shop...

But I love it! All my coworkers think I'm insane. I'm that guy who types out a painstakingly detailed list of service and inspection items... 2 weeks ago, it was spark plugs, coolant and brake fluid flush, and a new fuel filter. Today I had an oil change, full transmission and differential service... In 2 more weeks, new tires, control arm bushings and a rear trailing arm replacement along with a 4 wheel alignment. 2 weeks later, fuel injection service, and an AFE intake. Once all that's done, I will look into some coil overs, full Active Autowerke exhaust system and the AA software.

So my question is this... Am I the only one who looks forward to going to their trusted Indy shop to baby their vehicle? Each time I pick up my car, it runs just *that* much better. Btw, my car is an 04 330ci with 120k miles

No real mods... just loads of maintenance
vicariously13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #2
MrEmitter

My Ride: 2002 330ci
When I know something needs to be fixed/replaced on my car I worry and drive safely until I get to go to my indy shop on the weekends. Like now I know I need to get my bushings replaced and get new tires, after that I need to get my brakes replaced and get an alignment, etc, etc.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I would rather do it myself. If you are paying a shop to install an AFE intake, then you are soon going to go broke driving an e46.
Now, I do love the feeling of fixing something myself for $60. Hell, I almost get a boner when that happens. Paying an Indy shop $400 to do so is an anti-boner. A soft-on, basically.
If you see my car in an Indy shop it is either because I am working 90 hours a week, I am too sick to work on it, or I have hit something that I can not repair. In any of these cases, I will be pissed, angry, and suspicious of anything that breaks on my car for the next six months. I will also have a less than comfortable feeling about the work done, and will be wondering just what shortcuts they took that I would not have taken if I did it myself.
I will also not trust a single part they installed, unless I handed it to them, which is exactly what I do.
There is no such thing as a trusted shop. If my own father ran a shop, I would still feel the same way.
But, I am sure they smile when you come walking in!

Last edited by MJLavelle; 09-30-2012 at 04:32 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
There's nothing to be proud of if you take it to a shop for piss easy maintenance items.

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
By the way, "Vicariously13" sounds like a user name on a pedophile web site. I would rather have "IamAGiantTool" as a user name, or even "Kpeng" (which is redundant). Are you typing with one hand?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
jhaurimn

My Ride: 01' 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I would rather do it myself. If you are paying a shop to install an AFE intake, then you are soon going to go broke driving an e46.
Now, I do love the feeling of fixing something myself for $60. Hell, I almost get a boner when that happens. Paying an Indy shop $400 to do so is an anti-boner. A soft-on, basically.
If you see my car in an Indy shop it is either because I am working 90 hours a week, I am too sick to work on it, or I have hit something that I can not repair. In any of these cases, I will be pissed, angry, and suspicious of anything that breaks on my car for the next six months. I will also have a less than comfortable feeling about the work done, and will be wondering just what shortcuts they took that I would not have taken if I did it myself.
I will also not trust a single part they installed, unless I handed it to them, which is exactly what I do.
There is no such thing as a trusted shop. If my own father ran a shop, I would still feel the same way.
But, I am sure they smile when you come walking in!
Couldn't agree more to all of this !
2001 M3 - 90xxx
1989 325i - 2??,???
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
vicariously13

My Ride: 2004 330ci
To address a few things...
My shop charges me fair prices. I've been a customer for 9 years, referred more than 15 other customers that are also regulars and they treat their customers very well.
My current living situation doesn't offer a garage, so I can't work on my own car just yet. Trust me, there are plenty of things I would rather do myself but I just don't have the real estate for it. I'm a young professional, give me time! :/
The AFE intake install is being done immediately after a fuel injection service and they're ordering the part based on the part number at a discounted rate and installing it at no cost for me.
As far as my user name, it's not meant to be read linear, it's segmented. "Vicariously" was just simply a song by Tool I just happened to be listening to at the time of creating my user name and email address from the Bimmerfest forum. 13 is a Fibonacci number between 8 and 21, my birthday (August 21st). So 13 has always been a special number for me.

No real mods... just loads of maintenance

Last edited by vicariously13; 09-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.
vicariously13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
Its so dumb how theres so much hostility on this site for people who dont jack up their cars and get under them. Fvck that. Im not trying to be a mechanic. and who wants to get their hands dirty.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
chinx

My Ride: BMW 323I 2000
Leoo!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
chinx is offline   Reply With Quote