E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
M3Newb

My Ride: E46 M3
Alternator? Need Help!

So I drove 4 hours saturday to trade some parts with a guy. While driving with cruise control on, it would suddenly drop a few miles per hour and i would have to reset it. When this happened a light on the right side of the cluster would flash really fast and i couldnt tell which one it was. Anyway I got back fine. This morning I started my car and let it warm up for 10 min like ususal. When I went out and got in I noticed my headlights went out before i got in and then I ran the wipers to get rid of the due adn then my radio started to flash on and off and my "BRAKE, ABS and (!) lights were illuminated along with my traction control light. When I reved it up all the lights turned off then when it cam back down to idle they went on again, so I started to back out and then the whole car died and will not start. I tried to jump it, but it wont even click. I hear a clicking noise coming from the empty space in this picture. The only thing I can think of is maybe my alternator died saturday and my battery lasted until this morning when I tried to drive it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	empty space.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	471923  

Last edited by M3Newb; 10-01-2012 at 07:54 AM.
M3Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
M3Newb

UPDATE:

So i called the tow truck, he meet me at my house. This time the trunkpop on the keyfob worked. So i checked the battery connections, all fine. BUT when i put the key in the ignition, no lights or any repsonse in any position. We start to roll the car out of the driveway to tow it and I put the key in postion 2 to turn the wheel and all lights come on. SO i sit in it and it starts right up, no fault lights, CEL or anything. Run it up and down the street and runs fine. WTH is going on!? My guess is there is some faulty wiring somewhere, the key wasnt being recognized(EWS issue), overheated fuel pump or bad relay ( but that wouldnt cuase the lights to not come on). When i had it started before it died it seems like it was a weird combination of light to have on (BRAKE, ABS, TRACTION CONTROL AND TIRE PRESSURE)?????

Also, since the battery seemed to be dead, the window was stuck in the up position so I closed the door which left a gap between the glass and the frame. When i returned to meet the towtruck, guess what spidered and shattered? FML

Last edited by M3Newb; 10-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.
M3Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
M3Newb

Wow, lonely in here. Newbee here guys needing help, anyone ever have a no start situation?