E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Calorie counting

Starting today because I think estimating isn't going to let me hit my goals. Anyone else do this?

Shooting for 2850 cals.

Weight-167
Goal-180

time- 1 year

I'm using myfitnesspal for the iphone and after my lunch I'll only need 1200 cals. Should be pretty easy to hit.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
I am trying the opposite.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
not counting and losing? I think not counting but being aware is a good starting point but to fine tune I think counting is probably a better method.

Last edited by DylloS; 10-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Me too. I'm sick of tracking each and every calorie. For the past couple months, I've watched what I eat (nutritional content) but I've just ballparked how much I eat. I think it works much better
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
I ballpark and just pay close attention to my body as I adjust macros up/down.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
Me too. I'm sick of tracking each and every calorie. For the past couple months, I've watched what I eat (nutritional content) but I've just ballparked how much I eat. I think it works much better
works better how? In results or sanity? I think with the app and after a week or so I'll enter my food like it's nothing.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Unless you are well versed in nutrition (and usually also when you are well versed in nutrition), "ballparking" is another way of saying "lying to myself."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Unless you are well versed in nutrition (and usually also when you are well versed in nutrition), "ballparking" is another way of saying "lying to myself."
I highly agree with this.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:

What's wrong with a 'lil lie?

I agree, but to play devil's advocate.....everything is a ballpark figure. You can look up 4oz. of chicken and find different values for the nutritional information. I always round up/over-estimate anyway (..and my g/f hates it! ). As long as my body is doing what I want it to, I figure that I'm doing something right.

P.S. I'm also a boring eater. Same stuff (..generally speaking) day in & day out. It's easy to track calories when you're eating the same foods in rotation.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
jmcdolej

I meant the opposite: less calories to lose, not gain. I track calories through the points system of weight watchers. 2800+ is a huge amount of calories. I think I eat about 1500 a day.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
DylloS

Quote:
I meant the opposite: less calories to lose, not gain. I track calories through the points system of weight watchers. 2800+ is a huge amount of calories. I think I eat about 1500 a day.
I got that in 1.5 meals lol
Old 10-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
It sucks, but its necessary. I always track calories when starting a new goal, whether its to lose or gain weight... I want to make sure that what I think i'm doing I actually am. So I count with the myfitnesspal app (barcode scanner is unreal when you are cooking, just scan an ingredient and make the recipe in the app as you cook). I've done it enough now, both gaining and losing weight, that I am able to sufficiently ballpark my meals and know that I'm getting both the calories I need, plus meeting my macros.

I think everyone should count for a bit, it's a crash course in what makes up the food you eat.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
jmcdolej

Counting is definetly eye opening. I use a scanner app also. I am just so stupid on nutrition. I dont even understand how you can eat 2800 calories and not get fat. It is the nutritional value of those calories? Or do you just work out so enough to offset them/

Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Counting is definetly eye opening. I use a scanner app also. I am just so stupid on nutrition. I dont even understand how you can eat 2800 calories and not get fat. It is the nutritional value of those calories? Or do you just work out so enough to offset them/
Anybody who eats 2800 calories of clean food is undoubtedly an athlete, so there's going to be high caloric/energy needs.

Also, 2800 calories of chicken/brown rice will be processed much differently than 2800 calories of, say, Twinkies.

These two things make it easy to not get fat off of such calories.

FYI eating close to, or over, 3k calories of clean food is a chore by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
dabears

Quote:
Anybody who eats 2800 calories of clean food is undoubtedly an athlete, so there's going to be high caloric/energy needs.

Also, 2800 calories of chicken/brown rice will be processed much differently than 2800 calories of, say, Twinkies.

In the past I tried (and failed) to get my 3000ish daily calories while bulking from lean protein sources and complex carbs with little to no fat (60g or less in a day). Its incredibly difficult, at the end of the day... fat has more than twice the calories per gram than protein/carbs, and you can only pack so many scoops of protein powder in a shake or boil a package of chicken breasts to try and make up the difference.

I'm finding that by eating whole eggs, bacon, ribeye steaks, fish, ground beef, chicken thighs etc and a ton of high fat cheese, greek yogurt, sour cream, avocados etc and cycling my carb intake to post weightlifting only, in two months I've put on 3 lbs and have kept fat gain to an absolute minimum, which is exactly the slow, sustained result I was hoping for.

If I had to pick between cutting fat or trying to gain muscle, I'd go for cutting fat any day of the week. It's so much easier than stuffing your face 24/7, as awesome as it sounds its quite the opposite usually.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
In the past I tried (and failed) to get my 3000ish daily calories while bulking from lean protein sources and complex carbs with little to no fat (60g or less in a day). Its incredibly difficult, at the end of the day... fat has more than twice the calories per gram than protein/carbs, and you can only pack so many scoops of protein powder in a shake or boil a package of chicken breasts to try and make up the difference.

I'm finding that by eating whole eggs, bacon, ribeye steaks, fish, ground beef, chicken thighs etc and a ton of high fat cheese, greek yogurt, sour cream, avocados etc and cycling my carb intake to post weightlifting only, in two months I've put on 3 lbs and have kept fat gain to an absolute minimum, which is exactly the slow, sustained result I was hoping for.

If I had to pick between cutting fat or trying to gain muscle, I'd go for cutting fat any day of the week. It's so much easier than stuffing your face 24/7, as awesome as it sounds its quite the opposite usually.
same here man. I would stuff my face with bread before ever considering a spoonful of coconut oil. Not anymore.

Last edited by DylloS; 10-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:

exactly. i try to estimate, but at the end of the day im not really into how my body looks, just get the intake i need to perform. i think its good for people going for the "look" though, which most do anyway
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #18
dabears

Quote:
Have you used this yet to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)?

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Everyone should know their maintenance level, all nutrition programs are based off it. Mine, at 24 yrs old, 6' and 170 lbs is 1800 calories a day (BMR), but I also exercise 5-6 days a week, which can burn anywhere from 250-750 calories depending on the activity. You also burn calories just by doing ordinary stuff (I work a desk job so I don't account for much extra). I usually assume I need around 2200 calories on any given day for maintaining.

If I ate 2800 calories (I aim for 2800-3200 right now) and wasn't lifting weights, I would gain fat. Law of thermodynamics and conservation of energy. But when the body is put under stress (weightlifting) and is given the tools to grow (calorie surplus made up of proper nutrients) then the majority of the excess calories are used up in growing the body to adapt to future stress.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
DylloS

Quote:
I'll upload my daily food for you to see later tonight. At this rate I will be over 3000 and to me it's not even that much food.

Quote:

sometimes it definitely is. I made a beef stew that is packed with good cals so it's not to hard today.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
works better how? In results or sanity? I think with the app and after a week or so I'll enter my food like it's nothing.
Lol sorry I should've been more clear. I meant for my own sanity. If I'm cutting, I overestimate my calories on purpose. If bulking, I underestimate. Bear in mind: I counted calories for a while, so I'm pretty good at knowing the calorie content of my meals. Whenever I dont, I look it up in my phone and make a mental note.

So I guess in a sense, I'm still counting, but I'm not keeping a meticulous log.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 10-01-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote