E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
jamesbice

My Ride: 2001 M3
Valve adjustment Melb

Keen to have a crack at adjusting my valves, with 129K an adjustment is overdue. Had two main questions:

1. Is the valve cover gasket knackered if you check the valve heights and then replace the valve cover without changing the gasket. IE I would check which need adjusting and then try to order the shims individually and install them at a later date.

2. Best place to get shims. Should I just purchase a full shim kit or is there anyone in Melbourne/workshops that are willing to sell the appropriate shims to me? I have searched and found someone who can sell the set for 365 US, and I figure I need to purchase a gasket and the shim removal tool anyway from the US. So would do it all in one go

Also keen to have a look at my VANOS and see if its alright

Cheers for any help
jamesbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
[SeN]

My Ride: 2002 M3 Imola Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbice View Post
Keen to have a crack at adjusting my valves, with 129K an adjustment is overdue. Had two main questions:

1. Is the valve cover gasket knackered if you check the valve heights and then replace the valve cover without changing the gasket. IE I would check which need adjusting and then try to order the shims individually and install them at a later date.

2. Best place to get shims. Should I just purchase a full shim kit or is there anyone in Melbourne/workshops that are willing to sell the appropriate shims to me? I have searched and found someone who can sell the set for 365 US, and I figure I need to purchase a gasket and the shim removal tool anyway from the US. So would do it all in one go

Also keen to have a look at my VANOS and see if its alright

Cheers for any help
Hey man,
Unless you really know what you are doing, I'd advised against DIY valve adjustments only because if you mess up, it could be a catastrophe. But if you do then it can save you lots of coin.

But to answer your questions:
1. No it wouldn't be but its not an expensive part to replace. I would replace it along with other seals as well whilst you are getting your valves adjusted.

2. I don't think anyone will sell you a shim. Best buy a shim kit and use which ones you require to fit the tolerance/clearance levels and that way in your next valve adjustment, you already have what you need. Plus like you stated you need the shim removal tool anyway.

Cheers.
[SeN]

Bilstein PSS10 /// Vorshlag Camber Plates /// Turner Motorsports RSM /// Rogue Engineering Octane SSK w. ZHP gear knob /// Dice MediaBridge 1500
[SeN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
M3_Maniac

My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
I have to agree with SeN, unless you have the mechanical aptitude to do this don't attempt it. Apologies for the bluntness of my next comment BUT if you have to ask if you should replace you valve cover gasket after inspection you probably don't have the experience to do this DIY. If you f#ck this up the result will be very expensive. You can buy the kits you need from Pelican and have it all fedex'd within 36hrs.

In a former life (yes I am that old) I built race car engines and have done valve adjustments and VANOS rebuilds on all the E46's I've had and it's certainly not the easiest DIY you could tackle.

If you do attempt it please make sure you take your time and have plenty of patience with it and if you get stuck dont guess, give a shout out and there should be someone around on the forum who can help you out.
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
jamesbice

My Ride: 2001 M3
Really appreciate the considered opinions. It's not something i would do half arsed. Might be worth getting some quotes for a pro to do it, even though I would like to get some DIY experience with my car. An M3 probably isn't the best place to start!
jamesbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
M3_Maniac

My Ride: MY 4.5 M3 SMG
James, it's great you want to get into working on your own car BUT valve adjustment and VANOS rebuilds are not the place I would start. The S54 is a complicated unit to work on even for experienced spanner monkeys. There are plenty of knowledgable people around the forums who will only be too willing to help out with advice anytime.
M3_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote