E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
DjZHP

My Ride: 03 330i
Wet Rear Floor

Noticed the rear passenger floor was soaked a couple months ago, so I hit the channel located in the sunroof with some compressed air. Seemed to do the trick for a little while till we had a big storm last week. Once again, the floor is soaked.

I do park under trees, but I don't believe debris in the channel is causing the issue. I'm aiming more towards the vapour seals on the doors. Then again, I could be wrong.

I've seen the DIY repair online but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, and if so, what sort of wear and tear signs should I look for when I remove my door/carpets?

Thanks crew!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Check the rubber seal around the doors. That did it for me. Put some 3m double sided tape and no issues since then (3+ years ago)
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
boongsin12

My Ride: none
It could very well be torn vapor barrier. If you had window regulator problem in the past, the vapor barrier had to have been removed.

To see if that's the problem you could leave your rear door open and pour water over the outer window trim part. If the vapor barrier is torn, then you will see water dripping down between door panel and inner part of door. If that's the case, open your door panel and re seal the vapor barrier.

2001 330Ci
boongsin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
DjZHP

Should i favor 3M double sided tape over black silicone sealant?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Had the same problem. It was the vapor barrier + bad door clips. The clips have black seals around them to keep the water from coming in the car. The old ones were worn down and causing water to come in. Bought some new ones from the dealer with the barrier and I've had no issues since.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
DjZHP

Thanks for the replies. I'll take the door off tomorrow and see what i find.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
If it's the vapor barrier, you should use 3M window weld roll...not the caulk...not silicone or tape.

Jake was talking about the rubber door gasket, not the vapor barrier.

Window weld is the same as is used to seal the VB. If it's torn, tape it up (gorilla tape is good). If it's unsealed around its perimeter, then use window weld. (Available at an auto body supply shop...call up local auto body shop and ask where they get their supplies).

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #8
DjZHP

Thanks dmax