E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
City May Sue Developer for Cleaning 40 Tons of Trash...

Dude uses his own money to clean 40 tons of trash and build a park, and now the city may sue him.....

Quote:
A business developer in the Philadelphia neighborhood of Point Breeze is facing legal action after voluntarily cleaning up more than 40 tons of trash from a vacant lot neighboring his local business.

As the old adage goes, no good deed goes unpunished. Ori Feibush says he visited the local offices of the Philadelphia Redevelopment Authority four times, sent in seven written requests and made 24 phone calls to the agency asking them to take care of a major eyesore: an empty lot next to his coffee shop was home to more than 40 tons of debris.

Not only did the agency fail to act but it also denied Feibush's offer to clean up the mess himself.

But the Daily News reports that Feibush went ahead with his plans anyway, reportedly spending more than $20,000 of his own money not only to remove the trash but also to level the soil; add cherry trees, fencing and park benches; and repave the sidewalk.

"This was a lot of garbage," local resident Elaine McGrath told the paper. "Now it's gorgeous. I'm excited."

However, the city agency was less excited, demanding that Feibush return the vacant lot to its previous condition and saying it is considering legal action against him.

"Like any property owner, [the authority] does not permit unauthorized access to or alteration of its property," Paul D. Chrystie, director of communications at the Office of Housing and Community Development told the paper. "This is both on principle (no property owner knowingly allows trespassing) and to limit taxpayer liability."

And the situation is not without irony. Feibush says he received a citation in August 2011 from the city for litter on the same lot that the city now points out is not his property.

Nonetheless, the city's request puts Feibush in an unusual position. In theory, he committed a good deed, investing his own time and money to improve the condition of his neighborhood when city authorities refused to step up to the plate. But he also knowingly did so after the city refused his request to intervene.

The situation is almost like a reverse case of eminent domain, in which a private owner is attempting to revitalize a piece of public property.

For his part, Feibush thinks the city agency is jealous.

"For a private developer to create a garden, it's a question of who gets credit. To do it without their blessing, you're basically insulting them," he said. "I'm not looking for a thank-you, but I'm not looking for a big F.U."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...200922350.html

Gobnent.....doin it's thang.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
i'm skeptical. 40 tons of actual garbage? scrap metal? i'm curious what the hell it actually was.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm skeptical. 40 tons of actual garbage? scrap metal? i'm curious what the hell it actually was.
40 tons of trash / debris / etc..... so we are talking like an 18 wheeler trailer full of crap.... But unfortunately for him, it was not his property to clean up.

Here is what he did ....

more pics... at bottom of article there is a slideshow, no before pics though.

Last edited by cd330; 10-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
40 tons of trash / debris / etc..... so we are talking like an 18 wheeler trailer full of crap.... But unfortunately for him, it was not his property to clean up.

Here is what he did ....

more pics... at bottom of article there is a slideshow, no before pics though.
His cafe was suffering because of the trash. He reached out to the city for help, who refused. I think the guy is a hero, and the city should make the owner of the garbage property pay the cost, and if its city property, they should pay him.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
His cafe was suffering because of the trash. He reached out to the city for help, who refused. I think the guy is a hero, and the city should make the owner of the garbage property pay the cost, and if its city property, they should pay him.
I know why he did it....I think the guy did a great thing. He is helping his business and he is helping the community. However, like I said, it is not his property to mess with. Period.

Just like I can't alter my neighbors yard or house in some way because I think it will be better for my property value and be better for the neighborhood.

Last edited by cd330; 10-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
I know why he did it....I think the guy did a great thing. He is helping his business and he is helping the community. However, like I said, it is not his property to mess with. Period.

Just like I can't alter my neighbors yard or house in some way because I think it will be better for my property value and be better for the neighborhood.
This.

I have yet to see any pictures of it really looking that bad, ooh, some green grass and jersey barriers. That most recent one could have been him re-leveling the lot.
It's not his land to make decisions with. If anything, the city is suing for a precedent so people don't randomly go "upgrading" public land. Just because this one turned out looking half decent doesn't mean it couldn't have come out looking like ****. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci
Beyond retarded. The city should give that guy a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Beyond retarded. The city should give that guy a medal
Agreed. WTF is wrong with people. The guy should get a thank you, not a lawsuit.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
JonJon probably complained

That's fvcked up though...guy did the city a great service and then for them to come back around and sue him. This reminds of an episode of Hey Arnold.

Edit: Yup, there was one http://heyarnold.wikia.com/wiki/The_Vacant_Lot

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.

Last edited by IdahoToyo; 10-04-2012 at 11:58 AM.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
iverson2k10

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to iverson2k10 Send a message via MSN to iverson2k10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klubeck View Post

That's fvcked up though...guy did the city a great service and then for them to come back around and sue him. This reminds of an episode of Hey Arnold.

Edit: Yup, there was one http://heyarnold.wikia.com/wiki/The_Vacant_Lot
jesus dude! you just threw me back with that "Hey Arnold" reference, I loved that show as a kid and if I could watch it now I would.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson2k10 View Post
jesus dude! you just threw me back with that "Hey Arnold" reference, I loved that show as a kid and if I could watch it now I would.
Ever hear of this wacky new thing called the internet?

Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson2k10 View Post
I can't tell you why it popped into my head first thing when reading this lol, nostalgia took over after that. Youtube has episodes and just saw Netflix has 5 seasons streaming as well -- guess I know what I'm watching on Sunday!

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #13
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by klubeck View Post
Actually... I know the developer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Government at its best

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
mericah strong

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #16
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
I bet it is because it was not union.....
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
cjrivera

My Ride: 2008 e93 M3 Cab
... or it was the protected habitat of some rare species of rat or spider.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Never underestimate the power of bureaucracy to torpedo common sense.

On one hand, I understand that there needs to be a permitting process and so on for this kind of stuff.

If the guy did a half ass job, cut corners, created a dangerous situation, that's not good for the community, and the liability to the city is very real. For example, if there were oil drums on the site and his clean up crew drained the drums into the soil before hauling them away, that's a problem. And since it's city property, it's a city problem. If some youngin' plays on the new structures and falls and cracks his head open, the city will certainly be named in the zillion dollar lawsuit because it was their land and they failed to make sure it was safe.

The city also has to be wary of setting a precedent. If they pat this guy on the back or even look the other way because the end result is nice, they open themselves up to not being able to come down on the next person that takes a similar action, even if that person's results aren't as favorable or popular.

But the city HAS to be able to take a step back, evaluate what this guy has done, and (if it's as good as it's been portrayed) find a way to accept that an improvement has been made without setting themselves up for future problems.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Cleaning up the area next to his business, coffee shop, would also help his business.

Customers are more likely to buy there when there is basically a park next door now.

Increased business, park, cleaned up the city a bit.. Triple win.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
Ohhh My

My Ride: .
The guy is a freakin' genius. His month old coffee shop is getting nationwide coverage and exposure. He did it even after the city told him no because in reality, they're not going to throw him in jail for beatifying the city, it would make the city look bad and there would be protest. He played his risk cards right!