E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
sree.b

My Ride: 1997 Honda Civic DX
Pre-purchase inspection in Richmond, VA

I plan on driving down to Richmond, VA tomorrow to check out a 2005 ZHP and possibly want to get a pre-purchase inspection done. I contacted BMW of Richmond and was quoted $180 for a PPI . Does anyone here know of an excellent BMW shop that performs PPI's? Thanks in advance!
sree.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
idk if any shops are open on Saturday. There are a few near Richmond BMW on Broad. None that I would recommend near Midlothian BMW. I go to Sarek which is about 20-30min drive south of Richmond.. in Petersburg, VA, but they are closed on the weekend.

here is a listing in the area.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487465

Twin Star BMW I've heard people going to them.

Some of my friends go to David Word. He's pretty good. Pricey. Its about 10min from the Dealership on Broad Street. I haven't gone to him yet. The last time I contacted him, they were moving into a new facility. Plus Sarek is closer to me than David Word. http://www.davidwordauto.com/
Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
NASAE30

My Ride: 01 330CI,99 540iT
For future searches Ill add this to the thread.

DeltaV motorsports www.deltavmotorsports.com
Phone: 804-355-4440
Address:
1400 MacTavish Ave
Richmond, VA 23230

Bimmer Rescue www.bimmerrescue.com
Phone: 804-726-3458
Address: 6403G Dickens Place Richmond, VA 23230
NASAE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASAE30 View Post
For future searches Ill add this to the thread.

DeltaV motorsports www.deltavmotorsports.com
Phone: 804-355-4440
Address:
1400 MacTavish Ave
Richmond, VA 23230

Bimmer Rescue www.bimmerrescue.com
Phone: 804-726-3458
Address: 6403G Dickens Place Richmond, VA 23230
Fvck DeltaV. I took my old turbo 240sx there for a tune, they told me it's tuned and running perfectly, less than a week later the motor blew.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
sree.b

My Ride: 1997 Honda Civic DX
Thumbs Up

Thanks a bunch for the replies guys! I checked out the car in Richmond, which turned out to be an automatic So I bought the car I liked the most - a sexy 2004 6 speed ZHP!
sree.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
NASAE30

Alex, First of all DeltaV does not tune cars. They don't have a a dyno, nor a way to flash your car. SO how can you blame a shop that has no way to even look at your A/F ??? That's like blaming the shoe store for the kicks that you had bought before you walked in front of a bus .

Last edited by NASAE30; 11-06-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
ReallyDirtyThirty

My Ride: '03 330Ci
My problem with Delta V is that their prices are the same/more than going to the stealership and I've never really experienced any higher level of service from their shop to justify the expense. Evidently you have to pay a 30% premium to have your car worked on next to Spec E30 race cars...
ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
RVAe34

My Ride: e34/e28 M6
reallydirtythirty and shaban

Out of curiosity, when did you guys have your cars at Delta V last?
RVAe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
Shaban

Quote:
Alex, First of all DeltaV does not tune cars. They don't have a a dyno, nor a way to flash your car. SO how can you blame a shop that has no way to even look at your A/F ??? That's like blaming the shoe store for the kicks that you had bought before you walked in front of a bus .
They can do a street tune, doesn't need to be dyno tuned. They told me they could do a street tune before I took the car there.

If they couldn't tune it, they shouldn't have said they can do a street tune and then charge me for doing nothing...
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
NASAE30

Ok. I hear ya. And I agree 100%. How long ago was this?

Reason I ask, is that for the last year or so DeltaV has been under new ownership. This sounds much like the kind of thing that the old owner was known for. This place really had its ass drug thru the mud by that guy.

While I am friends with the new owner and do have my cars serviced there, I just would like to make sure we are placing blame on the right people and give them the chance to right the wrong.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
ReallyDirtyThirty

I said nothing about the quality of work from Delta V... Myself and my friends took cars there under their previous ownership as well as the new owner. I'm sure the new owner is a great guy, but his prices for service are usually way off base. He quoted me close to $2300 for a clutch in my E46, damn near what a dealership would cost me. Other shops in the area (aka Dan Word, Twin Star, etc...) seem to deliver the same quality of work as Delta V but at much better prices.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Shaban

Quote:
Ok. I hear ya. And I agree 100%. How long ago was this?

Reason I ask, is that for the last year or so DeltaV has been under new ownership. This sounds much like the kind of thing that the old owner was known for. This place really had its ass drug thru the mud by that guy.

While I am friends with the new owner and do have my cars serviced there, I just would like to make sure we are placing blame on the right people and give them the chance to right the wrong.
I went when the old owner was there. I don't have a car that I'm modifying now, but in the future when I do I'll be sure to give the new owner a chance
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
RVAe34

Shaban and reallydirtythirty, thanks for bringing this up. A quick intro, my name is Glenn Burton and I am the new owner of Delta V. I tried over a year ago to post an intro, but they kicked me and wanted to charge ad fees. Even though I've seen multiple posts for shops that have flat out broken posting ettiquette, I lurked instead. I bought Delta V last July and have had a few hurdles to deal with as would anyone coming into this industry, especially on an owner change.

Regarding pricing, I've heard from several past and present clients with the whole range of pricing stories, sometimes we're low, sometimes we're higher. One difference on a quote is that I try to give all of the info up front and with the best possible outcome (i.e.without potential issues, clutch chatter, pulsating brakes, etc.) I'd rather do it one time and do it right than deal with issues down the road later for clients and myself. I tell people all of the time that we are not trying to be the cheapest shop around, personally, I don't want to be. I want the work that we put our/my name on it to be of the highest quality. If you take my quote vs the cheapest quote you get and then figure what it actually cost otd for the job, I'm probably not far off. And we use high quality parts each time. Seeing some of the work that has been done by other "shops" to beat the clock etc, I'm sure that we are competitive.

I've been in Customer Service for years and I feel confident that our service is on the upper end, however, I'm sure there are days that it doesn't sync. I'm not perfect by any means. I'm trying my best to be a solid member of this community and have no issues discussing anyone's experience here, past or present. There's something to learn every day and I have been around long enough that I'm willing to listen without ego.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself. ReallyDirtyThirty, if I missed the boat for you, give me a call and we'll figure something out.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
ReallyDirtyThirty

One thing you could offer at your shop that I've seen some of the other shops offer is to let people buy their own parts. In the age of the internet, no one wants to pay shop mark-up on parts. We (customers) know what parts cost. It just blows to know you're getting marked up sometimes hundreds of dollars on parts before they're even put on the car.

Sure there are concerns with people buying cheap crap that doesn't fit, so put restrictions on it. You'll only work with parts from trusted vendors like Bap Geon, Bav Auto, or whomever else.

Paradise Garage does this in town and it has attracted a lot of business for them. When I had a timing belt/water pump done on my Miata last summer (for $250 cheaper than what you quoted me) they offered to let me buy the parts and bring in my own parts. I told them go ahead and do it yourself, and they didn't even mark the parts up at all. They were the same price as Bap Geon.

On the flip side, I don't know if I want a low cost provider like paradise wrenching on my E46. I gave no f*cks about that Miata, because, well it was a Miata. I'm looking for something in the middle. Not a stealership, but not bottom of the barrel.

I'm all about helping out the local scene and supporting people that help maintain the cars that bring us all together. It just seems like Delta V needs to find a better differentiation strategy to help set it apart in the competitive Metro-Richmond area.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
RVAe34

Rob,

Thanks for that. I appreciate the input. I don't want this to sound wrong so bear with me. On occassion, I have let pepole provide their own parts. Something exotic or that I just simply don't have time to source, I don't mind. Having people bring their own parts has three drawbacks though, one is profit, second is where to draw the line and third is what to do when the parts are wrong/missing. If something goes wrong with the part, people still say ____ just did my tb and now my car is busted regardless of why it's busted it impacts our reputation. And you don't bring your own meat to Ruth's Chris for dinner, right? I continously evaluate my margins to check that I'm competitive however, it's retail and there's always some room for variation. We are not a wally world and don't have the buying power to grab bulks and sell on 3-5% margin.

We define ourselves by what we do. My guys are not on commission, so there's no fear of them rushing through a repair to beat the clock or trying to sell you stuff that you don't need. We also do what we can to support the community, whether it's NASA, BMWCCA or whomever decides that we are a partner worth putting their name on the line. I also feel like my techs are knowledgeable and credible enough that when they tell me something needs to be done to repair a car correctly, I don't have to question it.

The internet has changed many retail businesses, except the ones where profit margins are off the charts. Imagine if you could check cell phone cost/plans, the cost of PBR or Marlboros or Ipads. You also see where someone posts that it only takes two hours to do ___ in a forum and that's in the driveway, where in the real world maybe with 100,000 worth of tools and a lift, it takes 4. So you can see the dilema, someone now brings their own parts and questions your labor times based on the net, it's tough to make any sense of it. I try to use the info that my suppliers offer to give me real time and realistic info so that I can try to keep some consistancy.

With that being said, I remember your quotes and would like to revisit when you have a chance.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
saxual328ci

I bought a part from BapGeon and it was defective. I've been going to them since I've been driving. This was a first and probably the last time I order a part for the mechanic. They were courteous in giving most of my money back. But next time I will let the shop order the parts.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
RVAe34

Saxual, It happens. Even on the best parts, there are occasional issues. That's an advantage that we have, we stick with what has given us the least amount of issues for us and other shops in the network and have no issues getting a replacement fairly quickly. Glad to hear that Bap took care of you, they're tyoically great to deal with.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
saxual328ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAe34 View Post
Saxual, It happens. Even on the best parts, there are occasional issues. That's an advantage that we have, we stick with what has given us the least amount of issues for us and other shops in the network and have no issues getting a replacement fairly quickly. Glad to hear that Bap took care of you, they're tyoically great to deal with.
Yeah I'm chalking it up as one of those things.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
rjskalet

My Ride: TiAg M3
I go to Vcu. What is this bap thing you speak of? I have never heard of it.

Last edited by rjskalet; 11-21-2012 at 05:54 PM.
rjskalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
What is this bap thing you speak of? I have never heard of it.
They've been around longer than you have:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bap+...w=1241&bih=584
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote