E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
bimmerks

My Ride: 325i
Name that part!

Hello everybody, long time listener(viewer), first time caller(poster). Well guys my 03' 325i is getting up there in mileage and its starting to show it. I'am currently dealing with the dreaded lean codes, misfires issues that i have been finding on posts. I took it upon myself to fix it myself rather then to get ripped off at the dealer or local mechanic. well after research i figured it was the CVV/Oil seperator issue (so i thought). i took my car apart and found out that lower boot was ripped and oil line to cvv was broken. i decided to replace the whole cvv unit while its bound to break soon. Anyways long story short i was taking parts out: icv,lower boot, cvv. i dont know when but a rubber cap fell in my hand from underneath. i didnt know what its for! i know there are 2 rubber vacuum caps behind the manifold near the firewall but this fell from under the manifold. can anybody tell me what this is for and if it going to cause issues, because i already put my car back together. anyways car still runs like crap and just made it home without breaking down. only thing i can think of next is fuel related. thank you in advance

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...1&d=1349576483

ps. im still dealing with rough idle, and going from 9 codes up to 11! WTF

P1085,p0300(new),P1344,P1346,P1342,p1083,p0313(new),p1349,p1 351,p0174,p0171
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	472872  

Last edited by bimmerks; 10-06-2012 at 09:41 PM.
bimmerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
04330ciZHP

My Ride: E46 E90
the rubber cap for the ccv valve or one off the back of the manifold
04330ciZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
bimmerks

ok i went and checked and i do see it missing from the cvv, i thought it was just a vacuum breather and didnt see it on a any photos. went ahead and put it on thank you, idle a little better but still rough .
Old 10-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
04330ciZHP

My Ride: E46 E90
Why dont you have someone diag the car and do a smoke test instead of throwing parts at the car

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App
04330ciZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
That is a vacuum plug. U will find them at your ccv and on the side of your #6 intake runner on your intake manifold.

This part might be in a few more location. If I do find out then I will let u know.

Good luck

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
bimmerks

i haven't been throwing parts at it. the cvv broken in half as i barely tugged it to inspect it. so i had to get it. other then that i also replace lower boot because it was visibly torn. this is what i've done so far below

1) ICV Valve - removed, inspected clean put back in- Done
2) DISA - Replaced o-ring, inspected the flap was broken took it out and put it back in for the time being. (should not cause errors like that)
3)Oil Separator and Vacuum hoses connected to it - line to the dip stick broke replaced, cvv broke in half as i pull it out to inspect it. pain in ass to put the hoses on. replaced oil dipstick o-ring. done
4) MAF Sensor - Clean and put back on, dont think its the cause of 12 codes. done
5) Spark Plugs - 2 month ago replaced. done
6) Air Intake Boot(lower) - cracked and replace. done
7) Bad or dying Fuel Pump - doing fuel pressure test today
8 ) Fuel Filter bad - just had this replaced 2 years ago shouldn't be bad.
9) Injectors Dirty or Bad-haven't done this yet. doing fuel pressure test today
10) smoke test. yes i did it, no other leaks. done
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerks View Post
Hello everybody, long time listener(viewer), first time caller(poster). Well guys my 03' 325i is getting up there in mileage and its starting to show it. I'am currently dealing with the dreaded lean codes, misfires issues that i have been finding on posts. I took it upon myself to fix it myself rather then to get ripped off at the dealer or local mechanic. well after research i figured it was the CVV/Oil seperator issue (so i thought). i took my car apart and found out that lower boot was ripped and oil line to cvv was broken. i decided to replace the whole cvv unit while its bound to break soon. Anyways long story short i was taking parts out: icv,lower boot, cvv. i dont know when but a rubber cap fell in my hand from underneath. i didnt know what its for! i know there are 2 rubber vacuum caps behind the manifold near the firewall but this fell from under the manifold. can anybody tell me what this is for and if it going to cause issues, because i already put my car back together. anyways car still runs like crap and just made it home without breaking down. only thing i can think of next is fuel related. thank you in advance

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...1&d=1349576483

ps. im still dealing with rough idle, and going from 9 codes up to 11! WTF

P1085,p0300(new),P1344,P1346,P1342,p1083,p0313(new),p1349,p1 351,p0174,p0171
Going from 9 to 11 codes is no big deal, relax. Many of your codes are all related to the same thing.

I AM NOT SAYING THE MAF IS YOUR PROBLEM, BUT HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF SOMETHING THAT CAUSES LOTS OF RELATED CODES,

The MAF tells the computer information about the quality or the intake air, where "quality" is mostly temp and density. Air quality is important to know because the computer wants to crerate a 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. If the air is cold and dense, then more fuel is needed. If the air is warm and thin then less fuel is needed. So far so good? If the actual air is cold and dense, but the MAF reports one second that it is warm and thin, then the fuel will be leaned out BY THE COMPUTER because it responds to the lies being told by the MAF. But the MAF is not content to tell the same lie for hours on end, and it wavers between lying and telling the truth. This results in the fuel mixture changing within a very wide range. The O2 Sensors monitor the exhaust gasses and feed information back to the computer, which trims the fuel delivery to try and acheive the mythical nirvanna of 14.7:1.

During the lean times (as determined by the MAF) the combustion cycle is weak, this causes the crankshaft to fail in getting from onen position to the next within a specified period of time, and the result of this is a MISFIRE code -- you have at least two codes that come from misfires. During the lean times, the O2 Sensors also report the lean condition and you have at least two lean codes, P0171 and P0174. So, here are four codes that come from the same part.

You need better diagnostic assistance -- a smarter diagnostic machine that can look with better clarity into the chaos that is your engine management data -- to see what the real problem is. I have not spent any time or effort to look at all of your codes, but several of them jump right out of my monitor as being related to the same thing. You do not have many problems, you have one or two problems that affect many different areas. That's my message. Good luck.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 10-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote