E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
01330cisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 358
My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
Video: Noise Help

Please check video and give me some advice on what this noise is. Car runs great and doesnt make noise unless idling. Thank you in advance

link

__________________

Last edited by 01330cisp; 10-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
01330cisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
adaseb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,069
My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Sounds like a diesel
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
01330cisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 358
My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Sounds like a diesel
lol a little
__________________
01330cisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
trace1144
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: georgia
Posts: 36
My Ride: audi a4
this happened on my car. its the camshaft tension sensor. it needs replacing every 65-75 thousand miles or so
trace1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
MJLavelle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2,753
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Check out this post I made the other day. I am pretty sure this is the source of your noise:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...87&postcount=6
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
Sal323i
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SouthEast Colorado
Posts: 18
My Ride: 99 323i
Sounds almost identical to mine that I posted. But I have yet to find the source.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
Sal323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
01330cisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 358
My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by trace1144 View Post
this happened on my car. its the camshaft tension sensor. it needs replacing every 65-75 thousand miles or so
This is one thing I haven't replaced yet. Can we be certain this is whats causing the noise? Literally only hear it about half the time and only under idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Check out this post I made the other day. I am pretty sure this is the source of your noise:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...87&postcount=6
I'm assuming you're not speaking about my lifters, correct? You're saying that my manifold is banging against a plate? Causing the rattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal323i View Post
Sounds almost identical to mine that I posted. But I have yet to find the source.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
Confident we'll find an answer!
__________________
01330cisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Sal323i
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SouthEast Colorado
Posts: 18
My Ride: 99 323i
No he was talking about my lifters they do tick pretty loud. Does ur diesel sound come from the exhaust manifold side of the engine?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

Last edited by Sal323i; 10-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Sal323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
01330cisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 358
My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal323i View Post
No he was talking about my lifters they do tick pretty loud. Does ur diesel sound come from the exhaust manifold side of the engine?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
Dont believe so, seems to be lauder on the driver side.
__________________
01330cisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
01330cisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 358
My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
uppp
__________________
01330cisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
01330cisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 358
My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
really getting tired of this! seems to have become worse with the cold.
__________________
01330cisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
MJLavelle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2,753
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
There are a lot of different noises going on in your video, but one I hear is a rhythmic type sound that seems to rise and fall as the engine idles. My experience was that this is caused by a loose heat shield over the manifolds. To see if this is the noise that is bothering you, turn on the engine, and take a long screw driver or socket extension and press down on the shield with it (again, engine running)), and see if it stops. If it does, then your heat shield is loose. It is part of the exhaust manifold gasket, so changing it out is a PITA job, and not really an option unless you are really picky. Some people have been able to just pull them out, if the crack is big enough.
I have had good luck quieting mine with self adhesive heat shield, cut in the shape of the piece, and stuck to it. It is not permenant, because the adhesive breaks down from the high temps, but it is good for a few months. I am going to drill some holes through the heat shield and the adhesive shield next time, and just rivet it to the shield. It works by absorbing the vibrations. Even just sticking it on seems to silence it pretty well.
I am not at all sure this is the noise that is bothering you, but it was worth mentioning, and easy enough for you to check out, and fix if necessary. I have included a picture of where to press on the shield, to see if it is what bothering you. This is the passenger side of the motor, just behind the SAP.


Untitled by MJLavelle, on Flickr


Edit: I see I weighed in on this earlier. I am assuming that you have already looked at this. I would tend to think it is a bad tensioner pulley, or some very noisy lifters. All of these things would sound worse in the cold.

Last edited by MJLavelle; 12-21-2012 at 06:25 PM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
01330cisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Easton PA
Posts: 358
My Ride: 330ci, 03 r6,89jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
There are a lot of different noises going on in your video, but one I hear is a rhythmic type sound that seems to rise and fall as the engine idles. My experience was that this is caused by a loose heat shield over the manifolds. To see if this is the noise that is bothering you, turn on the engine, and take a long screw driver or socket extension and press down on the shield with it (again, engine running)), and see if it stops. If it does, then your heat shield is loose. It is part of the exhaust manifold gasket, so changing it out is a PITA job, and not really an option unless you are really picky. Some people have been able to just pull them out, if the crack is big enough.
I have had good luck quieting mine with self adhesive heat shield, cut in the shape of the piece, and stuck to it. It is not permenant, because the adhesive breaks down from the high temps, but it is good for a few months. I am going to drill some holes through the heat shield and the adhesive shield next time, and just rivet it to the shield. It works by absorbing the vibrations. Even just sticking it on seems to silence it pretty well.
I am not at all sure this is the noise that is bothering you, but it was worth mentioning, and easy enough for you to check out, and fix if necessary. I have included a picture of where to press on the shield, to see if it is what bothering you. This is the passenger side of the motor, just behind the SAP.


Untitled by MJLavelle, on Flickr


Edit: I see I weighed in on this earlier. I am assuming that you have already looked at this. I would tend to think it is a bad tensioner pulley, or some very noisy lifters. All of these things would sound worse in the cold.
Thank you for the response! Haven't been on here in awhile. This was actually the first place i planned to look, when given enough time to actually properly get under there and see whats going on. Noise really tends to come and go day by day. Drove all the way down to philly and back last night and heard it at most twice, both times not being nearly as loud as in the video. Hoping this is the issue and when i get around to checking it out i sure will be back to give a response. Whether it's cold or warm out, hasn't seemed to make a difference. Some very cold mornings, (lower to mid 20's) she has been extremely noisy, as others she is extra quite. I try to never let the car idle more than a minute or 2 before going on my way, but the longer i wait the louder it tends to get, with no noise during driving, ever.
__________________
01330cisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use