E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
austin9888

My Ride: 2003 330cic
engine techs please help

Hi i purchased a m54 3.0 rebuilt motor for my 330ci and waiting to hear back from the builder, but for the mean time... indy mechanic installed the motor and put everything together car fires right up and idles fine. But their is a very loud squeal like a belt or bad bearing coming from the front of the motor. we removed both belts and the sound is still there. He drained the oil pan to find no metal shavings and he took off the valve cover , and no marks on the timing chain or cams.

clutch pedal pushed in or out it still makes the noise i think that takes the throw out bearing out of play

ANY input would greatly be appreciated

Thanks Austin
austin9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
That's a good one. You took both belts out and the noise is still there, ehh? You could spray a little WD-40 onto the rubber lip on the front crank seal, I have personally had rear crank seals make noise on the older M30 engines. Other wise.... I take it you have oil pressure. Does the squeal go up with RPM's when you rev the motor or stay constant sound when the motor revs. I have seen crankcase vent systems go full vacuum and make the main seals sing like a whistle. You can just pull the oil cap with the engine running and it should have just a LITTLE bit of suction to it.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
austin9888

update! it turns out not to be the motor the mechanic that installed the motor, im thinking did not install the pilot bearing or the TOB correctly because if i start it in gear, hold the clutch in, the noise is gone. But it wont come out of gear and if the car is on, in neutral it cant shift into gear. so something in the transmission is making the noise. i took the car back and im pulling the trans out on thursday
Old 10-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
austin9888

F1004fun thank you for replying!