E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Microsoft Surface Pro & RT

Pre order Pro Version
Not yet released.
Surface Pro at $899 for a model with 64GB
and $999 for a unit with 128GB

Pre Order the RT version
http://surface.microsoftstore.com/st...pbpage.Surface

Announcement

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...indows+surface

Release Date
October 26th(for the RT version)

Released Specs

Pictures

Differencess between RT and PRO versions

MS surface RT runs on an as-yet-unnamed ARM CPU. While it won't have the full desktop version of Windows 8, running only the Metro apps available through the Windows app store, it will include a version of Microsoft Office at no additional charge.

MS Surface Pro will follow 3 months later(est.). The Pro will offer the full Windows 8 OS running on an Intel Ivy Bridge CPU (the same chips found in ultrabooks and other laptops). The Pro version will also be slightly thicker, offer a more robust battery, and boast better peripheral support (USB 3.0 versus 2.0, DisplayPort, and an SDXC expansion slot) and twice the storage capacity of the RT version.

15 things you should know about windows RT
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14809151&postcount=35

should you buy an RT version?
http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2...windows-rt.php

Official RT Specs
Quote:
OS | Windows RT, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 RT Preview2EXTERIOR | Dimensions: 10.81 x 6.77 x 0.37 in
• Weight: Less than 1.5 lbs
• Casing: VaporMg
• Color: Dark Titanium
• Physical buttons: Volume, PowerSTORAGE | 32 GB
• 64 GBDISPLAY | Screen: 10.6" ClearType HD Display
• Resolution: 1366 x768 • Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (widescreen)
• Touch: 5-point multi-touchCPU | Chip: NVIDIA T30
• System memory: 2 GB RAMWIRELESS | Wireless: Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
• Bluetooth 4.0 technologyBATTERY | Up to 8 hours mixed activity
• 7-15 days idle lifeCAMERAS | Two 720p HD cameras, front and rear-facingVIDEO | Two microphonesAUDIO | Stereo speakersPORTS | Full-size USB 2.0
• microSDXC card reader
• Headphone jack
• HD video out port
• Cover portSENSORS | Ambient light sensor
• Accelerometer
• Gyroscope
• MagnetometerWARRANTY | 1-year limited hardware warrantyAPPS (included) | Mail
• Messaging
• Word
• Power Point
• Excel
• OneNote
• SkyDrive
• Internet Explorer 10
• Bing
• Music
• Video
• Games
• and more.

BLACK TOUCH COVER

DIMENSIONS | 7.4 x 11.0 in
• 3 mm thinWEIGHT | 0.46 lbsCOLOR | Black
• Additional colors (White, Cyan, Magenta, Red) sold separatelyKEYS | Activation: Pressure-sensing input
• Layout: QWERTYINTERFACE | MagneticSENSORS | AccelerometerWARRANTY | 1-year limited hardware warranty

Surface Reception which will take place on October 25th. Between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM

---------------------
Im looking foward to deploying this thing for my work as the thinkpad tablet doesnt really cut even with 3g as I need legacy programs to work out of the box like wordperfect and not rely on remote access.

so far its this and the newly announced thinkpad tablet 2.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to praise you like I should.."

Last edited by MachRc; 12-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Exactly what I've been looking for in a tablet since they were introduced

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Exactly what I've been looking for in a tablet since they were introduced
Can you clarify what your standards are and how prior models don't meet them?
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
mestupmonkydude

My Ride: 328i
That looks great but that is a tablet. This is the original micosoft surface.

mestupmonkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
Aside from the Xbox, Microsoft's hardware division has had limited success. Previous tablets are notable flops.

I'm curious to see if this level of software compatibility is enough to make a different story.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #6
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Lenovo also released a couple of models priced between $599 and $1099 or so. Looks really nice. If you think that you get all the benefits of a tablet with the full functionality of a PC (streaming content, nearly countless programs options...) it's a really good deal. Goodbye laptops?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
I was bummed when I found out the magnesium was just a thin coating to give a faux feel of metal.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Aesthetically appealing... wounder how well it functions. I haven't touched Windows 8 yet.

UUC Motorwerks | Vφrsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Wes

Looks cool, but it will fail big time.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
I'm definitely considering something like this as a replacement for my old dell laptop. These and the other models from Asus, Samsung, Lenovo etc are looking very nice. A tablet running on an x86 architecture that can function as a full blown windows PC is very appealing to me. iPads and Android tablets never really interested me very much personally. This is basically a new product category though: a laptop - tablet hybrid. I hope it includes the classic desktop view as well for use with a mouse.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
MachRc
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Goodbye laptops?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I'm definitely considering something like this as a replacement for my old dell laptop.
I hope it includes the classic desktop view as well for use with a mouse.

There are alot of critics who say this will not replace the laptop as legacy programs are not going to be easy to use with a touch screen. Ofcourse mouse or atleast in my case a wireless mouse would definately be considered as there are latops with both touch screen and mouse support.

But I think it will be nice to have very portable machine that can and will do anything that needs to be done for working professionals who already have desktops and laptops.

For my work, I will be able to recieve email, with attachments in wordperfect which will be easy to glance through using touch via the live tiles(was called metro but I forgot what they renamed it to) so that simplicity of a tablet is there. But if I needed to edit the wordperfect document, I can still fire up wordperfect on the tablet which is not possible with any other tablets(only readers available at a ridiculous price) this will apply for any workflow prorams like adobe acrobat, timeslip, time matters, live notes, concordance, legal solutions, etc etc. I think it may be faster than your 3 years old laptop due to the SSD, but I do see space as a limiting factor.(sort of solved with 32g/64g sd card and external usb)

I am for sure going ahead with ordering this or the new thinkpad tablet 2 as I already have purchased a few thinkpad tablets(awful mini usb charging/connectionsoldering port and problemic power button welds but quick turn around with RMA and charging solved with 40$ dock)

I have learned that even though the android/IOS platform tablets are very cool with 3g/4g, for real work we need an x86 platform period.

There are already windows 7 tablets that have been out for awhile, I just think this is going to be the right time to step up to one.

Last edited by MachRc; 10-10-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I'm definitely considering something like this as a replacement for my old dell laptop. These and the other models from Asus, Samsung, Lenovo etc are looking very nice. A tablet running on an x86 architecture that can function as a full blown windows PC is very appealing to me. iPads and Android tablets never really interested me very much personally. This is basically a new product category though: a laptop - tablet hybrid. I hope it includes the classic desktop view as well for use with a mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
There are alot of critics who say this will not replace the laptop as legacy programs are not going to be easy to use with a touch screen. Ofcourse mouse or atleast in my case a wireless mouse would definately be considered as there are latops with both touch screen and mouse support.

But I think it will be nice to have very portable machine that can and will do anything that needs to be done for working professionals who already have desktops and laptops.

For my work, I will be able to recieve email, with attachments in wordperfect which will be easy to glance through using touch via the live tiles(was called metro but I forgot what they renamed it to) so that simplicity of a tablet is there. But if I needed to edit the wordperfect document, I can still fire up wordperfect on the tablet which is not possible with any other tablets(only readers available at a ridiculous price) this will apply for any workflow prorams like adobe acrobat, timeslip, time matters, live notes, concordance, legal solutions, etc etc. I think it may be faster than your 3 years old laptop due to the SSD, but I do see space as a limiting factor.(sort of solved with 32g/64g sd card and external usb)

I am for sure going ahead with ordering this or the new thinkpad tablet 2 as I already have purchased a few thinkpad tablets(awful mini usb charging/connectionsoldering port and problemic power button welds but quick turn around with RMA and charging solved with 40$ dock)

I have learned that even though the android/IOS platform tablets are very cool with 3g/4g, for real work we need an x86 platform period.

There are already windows 7 tablets that have been out for awhile, I just think this is going to be the right time to step up to one.
My good friend has one of the Asus tablet(full windows functionality), and he loves it. The only issue he had with it is, if he put installed IE9 on it with the dock he was using, it would make he screen go black, and he'd had to restart, but if he used IE8 or any other browser it was fine. It comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse too which is nice so if you have to write a lot.
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
I'm going to wait a little while longer and see how these turn out before making any moves. I'm still tossing around the idea of a conventional ultrabook as well. It's split 50/50 now though, I need something to come along and sway me to one or the other.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #14
MachRc
E46Fanatic

I have both a tablet and clam shell pc.Laptop works great tethered through the 3g thinkpad tablet(gobi wan card 100$ + plastic tools to crack open thinkpad tablet) or my phone.

When I use the small pc, I wish it was touch screen and even more portable without the keyboard so I can browse work/lifestyle on the couch or on a bean bag.

with the tablet, i wish I can use real programs instead of remote controlling the main pc via logmein to do real tasks which is very very doable but requires jumping through big hoops and meails and google drive andsend and recieve..takes steps..

so basically if I get the new surface, it would be mashing these two devices, like these two pictured on the bottom having sexand making a baby.

which will free me of my tablet and clamshell and I can just stick with one.

I can just attach the thinkpad to the back seat and use it as a multimedia on the go internt pc and use the laptop ...probably never.

the ultrabook that my co worker picked up is very nice, light, clean, SSD, fast, the keyboard and mouse pad/track still there, not really a bad thing.. Maybe Im just too used to touch screen stuff. Cause when I hold a laptop now these days , I think to my self. Man there are devices with touch screen and same capabilities as this laptop but with the bottom keyboard part ripped out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1212.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	473336  

Last edited by MachRc; 10-10-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
cowmoo32
drunken science

I was given an iPad as a gift and it can't do as much as my iPhone can. And I've played with other tablets and they all fall short in some way. I've been wanting a fully functional (read: laptop equivalent) tablet since they hit the market, not a watered down OS and limited hardware functionality. Honestly every tablet I've used has been nothing more than an expensive web browser. I'd like to be able to run photoshop, code, and connect peripherals if I'm investing upwards of $500 on a tablet.

flickher

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-11-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
I was given an iPad as a gift and it can't do as much as my iPhone can. And I've played with other tablets and they all fall short in some way. I've been wanting a fully functional (read: laptop equivalent) tablet since they hit the market, not a watered down OS and limited hardware functionality. Honestly every tablet I've used has been nothing more than an expensive web browser. I'd like to be able to run photoshop, code, and connect peripherals if I'm investing upwards of $500 on a tablet.

Agreed.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
MachRc
E46Fanatic

---------------------------------------

I think we're going to have to wait and see if its video processor/ram (cpu these days come packed with videoprocessing as well)will be able to take on the hardcore suites. But for mainstream and casual lifestyle programs, Im quite certain it will work very well.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
MachRc
E46Fanatic

The only comparo I see online between The surface and its closest competitor at release.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post

The only comparo I see online between The surface and its closest competitor at release.
MSRP on the Lenovo?

flickher

Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
MachRc
E46Fanatic

Quote:
msrp on the lenovo?
est. 699$

The only downside I see is atom processor vs. i5 and maybe usb2 ver surfaces usb3

but batt life seems better(prob processor) and 4g is what has been announced for thinkpad tablet 2 (for att only)

Last edited by MachRc; 10-11-2012 at 03:49 PM.