E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
JAndreF321

My Ride: Jet Black E46 M3
The right tint for satnav

I'm looking to get my wife's e46 330 tinted and I was warned by a tinting company that we must get ceramic because of the navigation antenna. I've read a lot on it and spoken with a few other companies but still not certain about paying the extra hundred bucks on ceramic tint...

anyone with navigation have metallic tint?

any issues?
JAndreF321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
I can attest that it does affect radio reception, but only with the defrost on. Not sure about nav, sorry.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
lcoleman, not 100% sure your radio reception problem is caused by the tint??

I know there are problems with the rear window defroster grounding or something that kills radio reception when the defroster is turned on.

Search around and you will find info on this issue. May also be something on www.bmwgm5.com site as well?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
I can attest that it does affect radio reception, but only with the defrost on. Not sure about nav, sorry.
Mine does that as well, and I have tint. It is only a noticeable problem if I have just okay reception to a station.

A while ago, I read a TSB/Warranty-type thing from Subaru that many models could experience this issue, and it was actually because of a break somewhere in the rear defroster wiring. Since the antenna is integrated into the rear glass, the defroster created a lot of interference. They would fix it using some crazy interference-sniffing equipment to detect exactly where in the wiring it is occurring, and also used some other special stuff.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Interesting. My e46 is long gone, but I seem to recall that issue starting after the tint--I assumed the defrost lines would short across the tint, interfering with the antenna. Good info for posterity, though.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
DrMooCow

My Ride: 335d
Send a message via AIM to DrMooCow
When I had my E46, metallic tint did interfere with the radio reception. Each time I had the rear defrost on, I kept hearing static from the radio. When I turned the defrost off, everything was normal. At the end I had the metallic tint taken out and put in the formula one ceramic tints. All normal after that.
DrMooCow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, satnav, tint, tinting, windows