E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
amirmehrabi

My Ride: 2001 320ci
Servicing Advice

According to the sticker I have another 2000 Ks before my next service is due, However on the screen it shows 5000 ks before my next service. Which one should I follow?

P.S. Does anyone know any good places that they would recommend in Perth (WA, Australia)?
amirmehrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Not sure who put your sticker on but it's probably better than what the car (screen) says....IMO

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3
What kind of "service" are we talking about here? The car is 11 years old. At this point, I would forget about what stickers and computers tell you and replace things according to common sense. Are you just talking about an oil change? When was the oil last changed if that's the case?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
+1 forget about that inspection counter. Change what breaks or what needs to be changed for preventative maintenance. Do as much work yourself as you can.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
So your car is telling you ~3000 miles until oil change, but the sticker says 1200?

Who did you take it to for service? If they put in dino oil, I would change it in a few hundreds miles and use a proper synthetic.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
amirmehrabi

I am not quite sure, Last time (roughly 7 months ago) I did a major service, changed the breaks etc. According to the sticker that the mechanic has put on, I am due for another round in another 2000 Ks. I do not think anything will be required other than the routine oil, air filter, etc change.

Having said that Originally when i bought the car (2 years ago) the car was leaking oil and the mechanic supposedly fixed it (said something about Vanos) and then it was still leaking so i went back and this time he said there was a crack line in some pipe and he fixed that a swell. Long story short, I have been to the mechanics a few times for the oil leak but it is still leaking or burning oil somehow. So i have given up and i just add a liter of oil on top every few months. I don't know if that is normal or not but I have ran out of money to spend on the car. I would have changed the oil myself but i hear you need special tools.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirmehrabi View Post
...I would have changed the oil myself but i hear you need special tools.
You hear wrong. You just need a wrench and two sockets. The tools would be paid for on your first oil change.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
1. You can change the oil yourself. The only supplies you need are the 7 quarts of oil, appropriate filter (which should come with a crush washer and oil filter housing o-ring). The only tools, a 17mm wrench or socket and a 36mm socket for the filter cap. EDIT: Do a search to find out how to reset the oil service indicator through the cluster.
2. Your mech should be able to handle an oil leak after "a few times." That's not a good sign.

I would call the mech, ask what kind of oil he put in, then find a different mech that specializes in BMWs or european cars at a minimum. Change the oil yourself with a high-quality synthetic--appropriate selections can be found by searching this forum.

Last edited by lcoleman; 10-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
amirmehrabi

He does euro cars only (BMW, AUDi etc), a bit of a dodgy guy though. I have changed mechanics since then.

Thank you very much guys, I will search the DIY forums and try and change the oil, air filter myself.

Edit: I found a DYI for oil change but non for air filter change, Could someone please link me?

Last edited by amirmehrabi; 10-10-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
B3AM

My Ride: '02 BMW 330i E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirmehrabi View Post
He does euro cars only (BMW, AUDi etc), a bit of a dodgy guy though. I have changed mechanics since then.

Thank you very much guys, I will search the DIY forums and try and change the oil, air filter myself.

Edit: I found a DYI for oil change but non for air filter change, Could someone please link me?

Dude, who did you take your car to? AutoMasters? AutoBahn? Ultratune? Lubemobil? Pretty much anyone that puts those old school service stickers on your windscreen shouldn't be servicing your BMW. All those guys don't even have GT-1 scanner or any BMW OBDII scanner hence can't even look for or diagnose any stored faults. PS they put any kind of oil/filter in it instead of the recommended one. Oh and if they do replace stuff, it'll be most likely after market crap and not the OEM BMW since AutoClassic would be way too expensive for them to make a profit.

Even 3MW which should be one of the better independent BMW service places uses aftermarket parts. I made the mistake of taking my car there once, they replaced the parts with the after market ones and didn't even tell me about it; took it back to AutoClassic and got them replaced with the OEM ones. They also did the brake fluid bleed, I had shocking air bubbles in the brake pedal afterwards, took it back and they told me it's all normal. I had enough of their bullsh!t, took the car back to AutoClassic and re-did the brake fluid bleed, the brakes have been excellent ever since since then.

Bite the bullet and take your car to AutoClassic if you want your BMW to perform at it's best. It is expensive, but that's the price you pay if you want a good BMW
B3AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #11
amirmehrabi

The place that i took the car to originally and kept going back and forth was AutoClassic (the one near great eastern hwy), they did not manage to fix the oil leak after all the money they charged me and once, after i got the car back all of a sudden the alternator stopped working as well which they refused to take responsibility for, that is why stopped going there, the guy who serviced my car last and has put that sticker is an independent mechanic.

I have had a look at the DIY forums and changing the oil, oil filter and air filter seems very easy and i will get the parts from BMW so it is all good now. I might take it to a mechanic when it is due for another major service.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
gueste46
Banned User

Changing the oil in an E46 - vacuum method

Replace spark plugs

Replace brake pads

Last edited by gueste46; 10-11-2012 at 04:03 AM.
gueste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
amirmehrabi

Thanks Guys.