E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
BMWinLinE6

My Ride: E46 sedan
E46: Roll bar + fixed bucket seats = unsafe?

I want to install 4-point roll bar, fixed bucket seats, and harnesses in my E46 sedan. I heard that A pillar is not strong enough in a rollover situation that it may cave in. In a fixed bucket seat you'll be dead, but reclining seats can fall back and save you.

I've seen a lot of related pictures but most are E30 and E36. I also heard that E46 has strengthened A pillar and this is no longer a risk. Please share your experience and knowledge. Is it safe in an E46 with fixed bucket seats but no reinforcement on A pillar?

I don't intend to install a full cage in my car, because it'll still be used on the street. Thanks!
BMWinLinE6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
timsev

My Ride: BMW
Actually, you are only supposed to use fixed back seats with a roll bar, so you would be doing it right. Who told you the A pillar wasn't strong enough?

The last thing you want is a reclining seat to break or fold with a roll bar. You'll be ground beef in there unless you have a fixed back and harness.
timsev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
Bayerische E46

My Ride: -
In my opinion, a roll bar in a street car is completely and unacceptably unsafe. Exposed steel inside the cabin, even if covered with high density padding, is a BIG NO-NO in a street car. Simply put, no welds, no helmet, no HANS... -> no steel.

Edit:

Here, I wrote this up some time ago - should give you an idea of what I mean: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...6&postcount=22

Link to full thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=936303

Last edited by Bayerische E46; 10-11-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Bayerische E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
dji203

My Ride: Z4 3.0si, 135is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayerische E46 View Post
In my opinion, a roll bar in a street car is completely and unacceptably unsafe. Exposed steel inside the cabin, even if covered with high density padding, is a BIG NO-NO in a street car. Simply put, no welds, no helmet, no HANS... -> no steel.

Edit:

Here, I wrote this up some time ago - should give you an idea of what I mean: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...6&postcount=22

Link to full thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=936303
If its just a rollbar or half cage, ie no bars running down the front you are fine. Rear passengers is another thing though.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
dji203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Hit_Apex

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP
You would have to be a taller guy with freakishly short legs for this to be a concern.

Hit_Apex is offline   Reply With Quote