E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Atlanta's Emory apologizes for anti-Semitism

http://washingtonexaminer.com/atlant...7#.UHnDkMXA-4o

Quote:
ATLANTA (AP) Emory University is apologizing for years of anti-Semitism at its dental school, when dozens of Jewish students were flunked out or forced to repeat courses, leaving many feeling inadequate and ashamed for decades despite successful careers.

The Atlanta school invited many of those former students to meet with president James Wagner on Wednesday and then attend a screening of a documentary about the discrimination, which heavily relies on video interviews collected by one of those students, Dr. Perry Brickman.

"We knew individually and collectively what the truth was," Brickman said. "But the truth in a situation like this is never really validated until the perpetrator says sorry."

In one interview, former student Ronald Goldstein recalls the dean asking him, "Why do you Jews want to go into dentistry? You don't have it in the hands." Another, George Marholin, recalls a professor coming into a room cursing at him and calling him a "damn Jew."

"I'm sorry. We are sorry," Wagner said before a ballroom packed with several hundred people.

Under dental school dean John Buhler from 1948 to 1961, about 65 percent of Jewish students were flunked out or forced to repeat courses, while the rate of failure or repeats was dramatically lower before that period, according to statistics compiled by then-director of the Anti-Defamation League, Art Levin. Anti-Semitism at the dental school spread beyond Buhler to other members of the faculty as well, said university vice president Gary Hauk.

An admissions quota at the time allowed about four Jewish students a year, so there were likely about 48 Jewish students admitted during Buhler's tenure, Hauk said. At a private meeting with Wagner on Wednesday 31 former students or their families were present.

Talk of discrimination in the South in the mid-20th century so often focuses on blacks. In the 1950s, while Jews were being discriminated against at the dental school, there was a push at Emory to integrate black students, and the school in 1962 successfully sued the state of Georgia to overturn a state statute that would strip the tax-exempt status of any private college or university that admitted black students.

Some students didn't realize the extent of the anti-Semitism until they got letters alleging poor academic performance.

Brickman, who's now 79, entered Emory in 1951. All four Jewish students in his dental school class were gone within two years. He did well his first year and was never summoned to speak about his academic performance, so he was shocked to receive a letter from Buhler in the summer of 1952 saying he'd flunked out.

"Nobody believed us," Brickman said. "Even our parents said, 'Oh, you must not have studied enough. Emory's a good school. They wouldn't do anything like that.'"

Buhler resigned in 1961, but Emory denied at the time that his leaving had anything to do with allegations of anti-Semitism. He went on to become dean of the dental school at the University of South Carolina and died in 1976.

Ashamed and confused, Brickman and his fellow students clammed up. Brickman went on to graduate with honors from the University of Tennessee's dental school and enjoyed a successful career in Atlanta.

Despite the lingering sting of discrimination, Brickman retained close ties to Emory, where he'd had a positive undergraduate experience. In 2006, he went to an exhibition at Emory celebrating the 30th anniversary of the school's Jewish studies department. He was surprised to see panels about the discrimination at the dental school. The exhibition's curator, Professor Eric Goldstein, told Brickman he thought the school was ready to face the issue.

Still, Brickman wasn't sure he wanted to reopen that wound. But two years later, when an old friend and former classmate he hadn't spoken to in more than 55 years called him and said he still struggled every day with that pain, Brickman decided to do something. He contacted dozens of former students for interviews and showed them to Hauk, the university vice president. Hauk helped commission father-son documentary filmmakers John and David Hughes Duke to interview Emory administrators and turn them into a film along with Brickman's interviews.

After Wagner's apology and a screening of the film Wednesday night, some of the men and their families had tears in their eyes and expressed a feeling of relief and vindication, grateful the apology came while they're still alive.

When 80-year-old Jay Paulen heard from Brickman, "I thought he was wasting his time. I thought this would never be allowed to be made public," said Paulen, one of the few Jewish students who actually graduated from Emory's dental school at the time.

He and a non-Jewish friend studied together so regularly that they consistently missed the same answers on exams, Paulen said. Paulen was accused of cheating, but his friend wasn't. And though they got the same grades, his overall marks were always lower than his friend's.

Paulen, who went on to have a successful dental practice, was so scarred by the experience that when his daughter, who earned a bachelor's degree at Emory, was applying to dental school, he told her not to go to Emory.

Brickman also hid his shame from his friends and children, including his son Jeff, a former prosecutor.

"I felt horrible," Jeff Brickman said through tears. "I prosecuted crimes against children for a long time, and this reminded me of some of those victims who were afraid to talk about what had been done to them."

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
"I prosecuted crimes against children for a long time, and this reminded me of some of those victims who were afraid to talk about what had been done to them."

Really? Failing classes in dental school compares to being the victim of child molestation?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Emory is a bunch of douches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
stapler12345

My Ride: Sakhir Orange M6
didn't even know there were Jews outside of NYC and LA. most jews go to NYU dental anways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
I've never heard of a woman wanting more than she actually deserved. Never.
stapler12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
myles01

My Ride: 330i 02'
I just thought I would say as a sophomore at Emory, almost all of my friends are Jewish and this doesn't reflect the entire school!.. my best friend is president of the Jewish Student Union. I would also like to not call myself a douche.
myles01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by myles01 View Post
I just thought I would say as a sophomore at Emory, almost all of my friends are Jewish and this doesn't reflect the entire school!.. my best friend is president of the Jewish Student Union. I would also like to not call myself a douche.
OK.Glad you got that out in the open.

I stopped reading when the Dean in question had died 36 years ago.
Show me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Emory is a fine school, good medical program in the area. GaTech for the engineers, Emory for the nurses.

Although when they head to the Highlands in droves, they earn their name of "Emroids".
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Jew are persecuted in every society they exist and have existed in. They have culture, determination, and willingness to work and tend to rise above those around them in society. People hate them because they are successful yet they do not flaunt their cultural persecutions they have experienced throughout history.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 12-27-2012 at 09:20 AM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Jew are persecuted in every society they exist and have existed in. They have culture, determination, and willingness to work and tend to rise above those around them in society. People hate them because they are successful yet they do not flaunt their cultural persecutions they have experienced throughout history.
Notshurifsrs

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Notshurifsrs
mindfvcked!

Edit: heard someone say that statement one time and wanted to post it for giggles.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 12-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
jew crazy meng.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
jew crazy meng.
I did nazi that coming.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by myles01 View Post
Congratulations, you've successfully employed the "I have a black friend" defense.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Congratulations, you've successfully employed the "I have a black friend" defense.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
My sister just got in, I'll have to send this to her

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
Lair
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
My sister just got in, I'll have to send this to her
My niece is there too. I want to see what she thinks about this.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
slowturbo

My Ride: 2011 328xi
I saw this article and cannot say I was surprised. The same can be said about many other universities (ivy league schools included) during the early and mid 1900s, where they had quotas set for the number of Jewish students admitted in addition to exclusion from social and academic groups. Today, Emory's student body is roughly 30% Jewish so this obviously does not hold true anymore (I am Jewish and graduated from Emory).

Past:
-2011 328xi/2002 325i/2007 335i Turbo tuned/2004 A4 1.8T GIAC 1+
slowturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #19
5speed5er

My Ride: TreTreFive
To bad they have banks, producing, and opportunity in just about anything. Half of all billionaires in the US are jewish, while I believe less than 2% of americans are jewish. I'm sure they'll be just fine.
5speed5er is offline   Reply With Quote