E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
vassock

My Ride: Car
Mounting tires with limited tools?

Is it possible to mount tires on rims with limited household tools and still do it in a way that results in a SAFELY mounted tire?

This guy does it with some soap, a paper towel and a screwdriver. Seems simple enough. I've mounted bicycle tires before and thought nothing of it.

However, I've seen some people use a bead sealant to mount the tires. Is that necessary? After you put the tire on the rim, do you just fit the stem in there and inflate it and that's it?
vassock is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
I've done this plenty of times before, and it's very easy. You'll need a bucket of water with soap, 2 large craftsman screwdrivers and your two feet.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
always-there

Just mount the tire on the rim and take it to your nearest tire shop to get balanced. Shouldn't cost anymore than $5.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
vassock

My Ride: Car
I heard you needed a powerful (very high burst volume) air compressor to pop the tire onto the bead. Otherwise, you won't be able to inflate it. I also heard about it being necessary to use bead sealant, since otherwise there might be a slow leak from the sidewall. Is any of that true?

I also read you can use a ratchet strap to pop the bead into place if you don't have a high volume air tank to blast the tire's bead into place. My only concern now is whether I need bead sealant or not.

Last edited by vassock; 10-15-2012 at 11:28 PM.
vassock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
always-there

You don't need bead sealant.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
always-there

But you do need a compressor so you can add air quickly thus bypassing the bead sealant. Once you hear it inflating, you'll hear a loud pop so don't worry about that-that's just the tire sealing onto the rim. As soon as it's sealed get a bucket of water, and slightly pour water into the "bead" area to observe if there are any air bubbles coming out. If you see any, you'll want to get a heavy hammer or mallet and hit tire on the side as close as you can to the bead area making sure you don't hit the rim. I know you're wondering why hit it? Because that's how the tire and bead will correctly seat itself. You'll want to hit it with a medium hit, not as hard as you can okay? And do that repeatedly until you see the air bubbles leave. Most of the time it only takes the first hit and it's done. As soon as you're done airing up all tires, take them to get properly balanced. I've done this for nearly 13-14 years and counting so it's a good method we do/did in the shop.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
TonyDiv

My Ride: 03 325Ci Convertible
Just to save $8??? I mean, you have to take it somewhere to be balanced anyway, why not let them mount it too? You're guaranteed that the proper mounting equipment isn't going to gouge up your wheel.

For the record, though, I've had to re-seat a blown bead on my 4x4 with a small compressor. You need to put a ratchet strap around the tire to push the beads out. Then start pumping up.
TonyDiv is offline   Reply With Quote