E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
jlgone

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Does Koni FSD drop front on OEM springs??

I have read several posts saying the Koni FSD front struts are slightly shorter than stock. One member posted a side-by-side picture and the FSD strut definitely appears to be 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than a stock stut (shorter from bottom of strut to bolt and also shorter from bolt to bottom of spring perch).

Numerous members have said the drop from this kit was greater than Eibach states (see below). A shorter Koni FSD strut would explain a greater than expected drop for the Eibach Prokit/Koni FSD kits (vs Prokit with other struts).

Why do you want such a slammed drop? I have the Eibach/FSD combo, and it's pretty damn low. I scrape all the time going up drive ramps, no matter how slow and careful I am. I've also banged the undercarriage exiting a parking garage -- even though I was driving super slow and going down the incline sideways. I've even scraped the bottom of my bumper (exactly where e46vert scraped his in that pic) doing a 3 point turn in a hilly neighborhood! And this is with a supposed "moderate" drop!

I'm seriously thinking about switching back to my oem sport springs, while keeping the FSDs. I'm thinking the FSDs are too soft for drop springs. They ride real nice, but compress too easily. Even if you replace the shocks only, apparently the FSDs give you a slight drop over stock.

05-04-2009 at 10:34 PM.

For those of you who have installed the Koni FSDs with stock springs, how much, if any, did it drop your front??

Last edited by jlgone; 10-15-2012 at 07:00 PM.
jlgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
jlgone

I have read hundreds of posts on this subject, some of which must be wrong!

Most say no change, while some say the drop was more than just the springs they used (with the Koni FSD Eibach Pro kit combo) should have provided. Several say the drop is more on a sedan vs coupe and a few even said they were taller (I read it on internet so it must be true right!).

Anyone with first hand experience, please help! FSDs on a stock spring should provide the true answer.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
bmwcanman

My Ride: 2004 330ci m-sport
My Koni FSD's are currently in the mail so if you don't get a response I can let you know in about a week or so. I'll try to remember to take before and after pictures.
bmwcanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
jlgone

Yes please post a review of height, ride quality and handling once you get them installed. Before and after pictures would be valuable if there is any change, and that would answer this question once and for all! A review would be great since opionions are mixed and most are for the Eibach kit, not just the FSDs - can't wait to find out!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
veli510

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
i'm actually trying to get a new set up right now too. i'm in need of new shocks. i've been browsing through threads for about a week trying to read up on coilovers/shock+spring combo reviews. im really confused on what to purchase. people say megan sucks, some say it's great. others love koni but some complain about ride height. people love BC and St coilovers then i started reading about Street edge coilover, rokkers and racelands. lol. i'm lost...
veli510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
RMAAS

My Ride: 04 325 CiC 87 K75C
Love My FSDs

I've had my Koni FSDs now for about 18,000 miles and they're great. There isn't a noticeable difference in the ride height, but I can't say for sure as I didn't measure before and after. I also have the the sports suspension. These shocks are much better than stock. They have a nice ride when you are cruising along, but firm up nicely when you drive more aggressively. I am completely satisified with them and would buy them again if these were to wear out (although they shouldn't has they have a "lifetime" warranty).
RMAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
J LAU

My Ride: 325i
I don't think the shocks/struts determine the ride height, unless they have super short travel.
J LAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
jlgone

Struts can impact ride height if the location of the spring perch is lower than stock struts. Some struts do lower the car (i had a set of new struts drop the ride height over 1/2 inch with the same springs).
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgone View Post
Struts can impact ride height if the location of the spring perch is lower than stock struts. Some struts do lower the car (i had a set of new struts drop the ride height over 1/2 inch with the same springs).
so it's only possible in the front. completely impossible in the rear
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
jlgone

Here's an image that shows a Koni strut with and adjustable spring perch height. I don't think the Koni yellow struts are adjustable for the e46 though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremy-...4751/lightbox/
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
bmwcanman

I've just been notified by Modbargains that Koni FSD's will not be available until Nov 17th at the earliest. Given the ridiculous wait time, I might just go with Bilstein sports. If I stay with Koni FSD's, then I will advise ride high late November at the earliest.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
jlgone

bmwcanman,

Is it just Modbargains that are sold out or are they backordered from Koni? How about Tire Rack?

The FSDs will be one of my christmas gifts so it sounds like I had better get on ordering them!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
so it's only possible in the front. completely impossible in the rear
Basically yes... Some struts I've heard of shocks having a lower perch which will effect height, but I don't know any specific examples of that. Technically if it is a lower spring perch, then it would effect ride height, but as far as I know, Koni doesn't do so, so KONI FSD's will not effect ride height, unless they're matched with the Eibach spring package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgone View Post
bmwcanman,

Is it just Modbargains that are sold out or are they backordered from Koni? How about Tire Rack?

The FSDs will be one of my christmas gifts so it sounds like I had better get on ordering them!!
We get Koni's direct from Koni, so does Tire Rack. I'm sure they try to keep them in stock, but they sell out just like we sell out of Koni's as well, they're hard to keep in inventory because they're just like brakes, you really need to change them when they go bad or go out... I got a ETA of about 4-6 weeks as of right now just FYI.

Sales | Sales@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
jlgone

Here's the comparison of stock anf FSD strut length.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1298657905

FSDs look to be shorter from mount to lower spring perch. Anyone have first hand experience??
Old 11-19-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
bmwcanman

I finished my front end a couple days ago including Koni FSD's, control arms, tie rods, and sway bar bushings. I took a height measurement before starting the job and again today after the car has been used and the suspension had time to settle in. The measurements before and after were......IDENTICAL! I'm talking spot on.....not a mm difference.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
Thotfulspot

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains III View Post
Basically yes... Some struts I've heard of shocks having a lower perch which will effect height, but I don't know any specific examples of that. Technically if it is a lower spring perch, then it would effect ride height, but as far as I know, Koni doesn't do so, so KONI FSD's will not effect ride height, unless they're matched with the Eibach spring package.

We get Koni's direct from Koni, so does Tire Rack. I'm sure they try to keep them in stock, but they sell out just like we sell out of Koni's as well, they're hard to keep in inventory because they're just like brakes, you really need to change them when they go bad or go out... I got a ETA of about 4-6 weeks as of right now just FYI.
I just waited 3 months for one of my front Koni yellows. They had a big sale at the end of the summer and stock was really short.
Thotfulspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
bmwcanman

I ended up getting my Koni FSD's from THMotorshorts.com. They currently have them in stock and also have the best price including shipping. They were quick with shipping and efficient to deal with. I'd recommend them.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
edlvrt

My Ride: 2004 330i
I just finished installing FSDs with my OEM sport package springs, and my front is definitely higher than before. The alignment guy said that the front ride height is out of spec. Can anyone provide a picture of how far the struts fit into the hub clamp? I have heard that the alignment pin/nub may need to be at or below the pinch bolt.

Thanks for any help
edlvrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #19
bmwcanman

If you closely at the bottom portion of the Koni FSD shock, you will see a "ring" which protrudes out (pressed out) around the shock about 1/2 inch from the bottom. If you take a close look at the inside of the hub clamp, there is a matching "ring" grooved into the inside of the hub. You need to match these two rings together - the shock ring protrudes out and fits into the groove of the hub. Once these two are matched together, this will correctly set your ride height. The ring on the shock might be a bit flat if you have already tightened pinch bolts around without having the two lined up.

The nub is then used for alignment of the shock and needs to fit between the gap in the hub clamp between the pinch bolts.

I don't have a picture of this, but hopefully the description makes sense.

My ride height using the koni's and stock zhp springs was identical to the stock ride height.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
bmwcanman

edlvrt, I realized after taking the attached picture my last instructions were slightly off. The FSD's do have a "ring" around the shock casing which protrudes out slightly about 2 inches (not 1/2 inch) from the bottom of the shock. This ring sits in the BOTTOM of the hub mount (not sure hub mount is the correct name, but will use it anyways). The bottom of the hub mount has a lip which the shock casing "ring" sits into (it does NOT have a groove as I described above). When you have the shock out of the hub mount and look inside the hub mount, you will see the lip at the very bottom in which the shock "ring" sits. It will become obvious once you look.

The picture does not help much as it does not show the nub sits between the pinch bolts (I couldn't get a pic as it is on the inside of the wheel well), but the lip on the hub mount determines the height of the shock and the nub aligned in the opening (or gap) of the hub mount between the pinch bolts determines the alignment of the shock. You can't go wrong if you get these two items correct.

Best of luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Koni_FSD_Shock_Mount_Correct.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	489895

Last edited by bmwcanman; 02-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.