E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Shifting help

I own a 2001 330xi Automatic with an AA stage 1. I keep having a problem when shifting at high rpms starting in 2nd gear. Around 6000 rpm if I try to shift the transmission will hold at that rpm for around 4 seconds and then shift. after shifting the transmission light will come on and the transmission will shift rough until I turn the car off.

So I used INPA and it gave me :

146 CAN Moment interface.


I have changed the transmission fluid and filter. I can't find anything on that code. Please help

Last edited by Mormon; 11-11-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Bump
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
bump
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
bump
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
FragNasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 171
My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon View Post
I own a 2001 330xi Automatic with an AA stage 1. I keep having a problem when shifting at high rpms starting in 2nd gear. Around 6000 rpm if I try to shift the transmission will hold at that rpm for around 4 seconds and then shift. after shifting the transmission light will come on and the transmission will shift rough until I turn the car off.

So I used INPA and it gave me :

146 CAN Moment interface.


Every time that error shows up its at 6176 rpm. I have changed the transmission fluid and filter. I can't find anything on that code. Please help
Is the transmission related firmware/software up to date? Has it been modified in some way?

Has your car always exhibited these characteristics or is the problem new?

Have you posed this question to the AA guys? Could it be AA related?

Are we correct to presume that shifting occurs correctly at say 5k RPM or even 5.5K and that these problems occur specifically at 6k or 6.176k?

Are you somehow "controlling" the shifts by initially selecting D4 (or whatever it may be) then moving the leaver to D3 thereby "signalling" the shift to next ratio?
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
I'm not sure if the tranny software is up to date, but it has not been modified in any way.
The problem appeared about 4 months ago. I sent a message to AA about a month ago and have not gotten a message back.
There is no problem shifting below 6k rpm, but after that the problem occurs.
I can have the car in Drive or steptronic, but the outcome is the same.
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
********************** Update ****************************

I just recently fix a few vacuum leaks hoping that it would fix the problem, but its still there.

Altho the holding at a certain RPM has stopped, After the shift it still gives me a transmission light and shifts rough.

I scanned the car with INPA and I got 2 codes.

8 Air Flow Meter

Error frequency : 11

Logistic counter: 40

N_32 6336.00 rpm
THR 60.21 Grad TPS
ISAPWN_ISA 94.92 %
VMAF 4.88 V
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 1.30 h

ks--> ubatt
---
---
---
Error to relevant
Error debounce
Error currently not available
sporadic Error

--------------------------------------------------------------

146 Can Moment interface

Error frequency : 1

Logistic counter: 0

KM value 225330.00 km
Changing gear 1.00 0/1
Last Change: Changing up 2->3 33.00 0-n
Engine speed 6112.00 rpm
throttle-valve angle 100.00 %

General error
Sporadic error
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
FragNasty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 171
My Ride: Car
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1784065

The last post suggests replacing the MAF. You may examine the sensor to determine if cleaning it would be any good.

I hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon View Post
********************** Update ****************************

I just recently fix a few vacuum leaks hoping that it would fix the problem, but its still there.

Altho the holding at a certain RPM has stopped, After the shift it still gives me a transmission light and shifts rough.

I scanned the car with INPA and I got 2 codes.

8 Air Flow Meter

Error frequency : 11

Logistic counter: 40

N_32 6336.00 rpm
THR 60.21 Grad TPS
ISAPWN_ISA 94.92 %
VMAF 4.88 V
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 1.30 h

ks--> ubatt
---
---
---
Error to relevant
Error debounce
Error currently not available
sporadic Error

--------------------------------------------------------------

146 Can Moment interface

Error frequency : 1

Logistic counter: 0

KM value 225330.00 km
Changing gear 1.00 0/1
Last Change: Changing up 2->3 33.00 0-n
Engine speed 6112.00 rpm
throttle-valve angle 100.00 %

General error
Sporadic error
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Today I replaced the maf sensor and the problem is still there. Any other suggestions?
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Jim Murphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta (Dunwoody), GA
Posts: 455
My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Time to go to an automatic transmission specialist as I am about ready to ship mine to IPT - they have pickup and delivery service as well. Mine now slips in 2/3 and 3/4 shifts, just too much power for my ZF transmission.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
MaverickM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Savannah/L.A.
Posts: 58
My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
Time to go to an automatic transmission specialist as I am about ready to ship mine to IPT - they have pickup and delivery service as well. Mine now slips in 2/3 and 3/4 shifts, just too much power for my ZF transmission.

Jim
That's what I was thinking with his. Maybe his isn't holding enough pressure to make a proper shift.
__________________
MaverickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Jim Murphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta (Dunwoody), GA
Posts: 455
My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
I am letting IPT determine what needs to be fixed/upgraded as I don't want to try to fix it locally and it ends up being time/money wasted. We will know when it is back and installed.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
Mormon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yuma, Az
Posts: 51
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
I am letting IPT determine what needs to be fixed/upgraded as I don't want to try to fix it locally and it ends up being time/money wasted. We will know when it is back and installed.

Jim
Let me know how that goes. I have been thinking about sending my transmission to IPT.
Mormon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,176
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
Time to go to an automatic transmission specialist as I am about ready to ship mine to IPT - they have pickup and delivery service as well. Mine now slips in 2/3 and 3/4 shifts, just too much power for my ZF transmission.

Jim
Time to upgrade the valve body. There are kits that'll aid in quicker shifting so you don't over-rev while shifting the auto.
always-there is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Jim Murphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta (Dunwoody), GA
Posts: 455
My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Back-ordered BMW parts should arrive today - I hope. Way too long.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #16
Jim Murphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta (Dunwoody), GA
Posts: 455
My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
Transmission was delivered yesterday late at BIP. I should know more next week. It has been two long months.
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
Jim Murphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta (Dunwoody), GA
Posts: 455
My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
I expect to pick up the car tomorrow afternoon.

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #18
Dreikraft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alaska :(
Posts: 688
My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
I expect to pick up the car tomorrow afternoon.

Jim
nice. looking forward to your review
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use