E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Joe the Welder

My Ride: 2002 330xi
No Heat

I have a 2002 330xi. I do not get heat in through the vents unless I disconnect the wire from the heater control valve located in the engine compartment.

With the wire connected to the heat control valve, the heat control motor is extremely hot to the touch and the two heater hoses are cold. Once the wire is disconnected, I get all the heat in the world.

I have changed the climate control panel and still the same problem. The A/C works great and all the other climate control functions work as they should.

Any suggestions?
Joe the Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
On the HVAC control panel, find the line at the rear of the unit with the controlling signal that operates the heat exchanger solenoid vavle. This means removing the unit from the dash and likely disassembling parts of the dash. Once you've found the "control wire" or signal wire that controls the motor to the solenoid operated valve, hook a voltmeter to it and watch the temperature reading display as you change the temperature up and down on the temp up & down buttons to see iff the voltmeter voltage changes as you raise and lower the temp. If the control line gives a dead signal, there's your problem; maybe go to a wrecking yard and buy another one (HVAC Control Unit) or buy a new one. If you are handy enough to disassemble the potentiometer, perhaps you can just replace that part if there are manufacturer part numbers on it. Maybe there's just a broken solder connection that needs resoldering or something simple of that nature.

See of you can obtain wiring diagrams off the Internet also to make your hunt easier to find the signal wire.

It appears you have tested the solenoid operated heating valve and if it is running satisfactory then it might be OK to keep, but since you have the whole dash apart, I would replace the heat exchanger valve, the controller and other bits prone to wear and tear.

Last edited by lucky_doggg7; 10-16-2012 at 11:47 PM.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
Joe the Welder

Thank You

Thank You - I will let you know how it works out.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Joe the Welder

Still no heat

I identified the wire on the back of the climatge control panel and checked it with a volt meter. The voltage does not change. I have a constant 12v give or take. I also checked the wire with an ohm meter to make sure that I had the right wire.

After identifying the wire and checking the voltage, I bought a used control panel. Still the same problem, no heat, and still the same voltage. 12v no matter where the temp setting was set at.

To be sure I did not have a second control panel that was bad, I went to the auto recycler and tried a third panel. Same problem - 12v from the climate control panel to the heat control valve at all times. The signal does not change.

I have checked the wiring to the heat control valve. I am getting 12v from the fuse.

With the wires plugged into the heat control valve I get no heat. Once I unplug that wire, the valve opens and I get plenty of heat.

Any other suggestions?

Thank You
Old 10-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
I had the same thing last week, and by searching that it could be the heater core, or it can be as simple as bleeding the cooling system.. Make sure the dial is also on the red setting. I bled the system and Now i'm getting heat again..
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Joe the Welder

haurelio,

Thanks for the info - I have plenty pf heat when I unplug the wiring from the heater control valve motor. My problem is more electircal. Thia one has me stumped. Something is not sending the proper voltage signal to the heater control valve motor.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
genericuser

My Ride: E46
Me Too

OP-

You are not alone. I have the exact same issue on my '01 325i. A constant 12V to the HCV even when the key is not in the ignition.

I have no answer at this point. I have read on this or another E46 forum that the HCV actually pulses open and closed to control the flow of hot coolant into the heater core. according to the post there are 5 or 6 sensors that control this pulsing.

I just finished replacing the idler belt pulleys, so this is next on my list of things to fix.

genericuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Joe the Welder

genericuser,

With some additional help, I found the problem.

There are two sensors located in the heater box that adjust the voltage signal through the climate control panel and into the heater control valve. One of the sensors was defective and it was sending a signal that the temp in the heater box was high heat at all times.

I had the sensor changed and the problem was solved.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
genericuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Welder View Post
genericuser,

With some additional help, I found the problem.

There are two sensors located in the heater box that adjust the voltage signal through the climate control panel and into the heater control valve. One of the sensors was defective and it was sending a signal that the temp in the heater box was high heat at all times.

I had the sensor changed and the problem was solved.
I appreciate your reply. I have been searching for the details of those sensors. Do you have any part number or realoem diagram that they are on perchance?

edit: Looks like I am looking for the "heater core temperature sensor" which seems to be located behind the heater control panel. Does this sound like the sensor you ended up replacing?

Last edited by genericuser; 11-16-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
genericuser

So I took a chance and replaced the heater core temperature sender.

No Love. There is still 12v constantly at the heater control valve.

Not sure what the next item is to try.