E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
AJV

My Ride: 164 Quadrifoglio
Totalled?

I hoped I would never have to do one of these threads but here it goes....

A coworker and I were driving home from a business trip in Canada on I90 westbound in Ashtabula Ohio. We were passing a truck around 3:00AM when the headlights illuminated a large deer carcus in the middle of the road. With nowhere to go, we hit Bambi and went airborne as the deer dragged under the car. Luckily the airbags did not go off and neither of us were hurt.

The battery light lit up, followed by the famous cog of death. The car limped about half of a mile before the coolant light popped up and the temperature began to skyrocket. After stopping and looking at the car, the damage is as follows:

- front bumper/fogs destroyed but still partially on the car
- power steering pump assumed to be destroyed - half of the pulley fell out of the car on the flatbed
- Transmission shutters in reverse, no forward gears (steptronic)
- Radiator and all associated lower plumbing destroyed
- Unknown damage to suspension components
- Unknown but assumed that all lower air conditioning components are destroyed

The engine runs fine and the only visible body damage is the destroyed bumper. Based on the damage above, am I right in concluding that the car should be totalled? It would be repaired at a shop since I have very little time to spend fixing it and a transmission swap is out of my league. It's a 2001 325i with 99k that was in great shape until a few hours ago.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Pics?

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
It's really going to depend on what's going on underneath. A new bumper is like $900 ish OEM. Give or take a few hundred depending on where you get it pained and where you get parts. Trans will be used from another car for $300 tops hopefully. Cooling system is screwed most likely radiation damaged. That's $150 in parts.
Exhaust could be destroyed. Diff could be destroyed. Control arms could be destroyed but not likely. Splash guard was destroyed and needs replaced. Trust me you want it on there for times like these. It REALLY does protect the engine.
Check the ps fluid.
Check engine oil.
Your oil pan is at risk of cracking from an impact like this as well as your steering rack and ps lines. The high pressure one is like $200 alone.
I don think it will be totaled if it runs good and rolls straight. Just hope there isn't too much damage you can't see.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #4
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
One possibility. The car is totaled. Then you buy it back for like $3000, put some of the insurance money into fixing it with salvage/used parts. You'll be pocketing some money, but driving a car with a salvage title.
But it's between you and the adjuster at this point, but you should think about a best case scenario--a big payout/fixing the car, non totaled/buying it back as salvage--and work toward that goal.
I'd suggest the NOVA's Ask an Insurance Adjuster Anything thread. Helped me hugely when my touring was totaled.
avincent52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
We can't tell you if it's totalled. Only after a mechanic has identified every part that needs replacing can it be totalled. Do you have insurance for this?
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
DHK

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325Ci
Its really impossible to say until your insurance looks at it. I would guess on a car like that though if you need a new tranny its going to be totaled.
DHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHK View Post
Its really impossible to say until your insurance looks at it. I would guess on a car like that though if you need a new tranny its going to be totaled.

I understand, though, that you would like some sort of assessment to alleviate or confirm your fears, but there's no way anyone here can help, at least not without detailed pics. Best of luck.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Sounds like totaled to me.. When the adjuster comes out and starts making an estimate, trust me, the numbers will add up quickly.. Its probably one of those things where it won't cost a ton to fix on your own but if you're going through insurance, it would add up to 3-4k easily..

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote