E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Downside to M3 setup in 330 4dr?

I recently swapped out 85k oem 330i suspension for 25k OEM M3 suspension. Everything fit fine and went in smoothly. Car ahdnles much better (also added turner sway bars)...

Yet, some folks in other threads maintain this is a bad idea that will not work out well...

Why not (other than argument, wasn't designed to...).

I'll tip my hand and say I have been told by BMW cert mechanic that it's totally fine/safe/effective approach..

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
mkodama

Rear suspension should be the same since E46's are all about the same in the rear unless you have a vert or a touring.

Front spring rates and damping on the M3 will be slightly higher in the front relative to the rear because of the slightly heavier front end.

Handling wise, it will be sportier, but probably a bit more understeer near the limit, assuming all else like alignment and ride height, etc... are the same.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
The sway bars on your 330 are not tuned specifically for the M3 suspension, which makes it a bit of a mismatch but I wouldn't think that will become problematic because many people change dampers and springs but keep the stock sway bars on their sled.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
I'm pretty sure the angle of the front suspension in the M3 vs the non-M has it so you'll have less neg camber when running the OEM M3 in a non-M. That's about the only downside I would think there'd be, and you can always get some camberplates
Old 11-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Have you pushed the car to its limits yet? The stiffer front springs due to the M3's heavier cast iron engine block will increase understeer. You should at least be running a square setup to help neutralize the car a bit.

Last edited by ImolaSix; 11-04-2012 at 12:49 AM.
ImolaSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
hizhinezz
Outlier

To the limits is relative no track days but have given it a good street thrashing and it feels great.

I'm on a square setup of 19x8/235/35.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Changing tire air pressures can induce understeer or oversteer, when you autocross/track play with those to dial it in to your liking
Old 11-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
hizhinezz
Outlier

Interesting, what do you think ideal settings/psi would be to decrease under steer but remain safe/practical for street use?

I ask not because of the suspension update but because I'm always looking for less understeer, I think as a result of my years riding bikes.