E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Official idiot asking about handguns for HD

So I've read what I feel like are 1,000 threads...even the stickies at the top.

Went to Gander Mountain in NC last week to check out some pistols for HD (really HD only...maybe some range just to practice and not suck). Also, looking at normal to smaller guns not for carry purposes but so that my wife can handle the gun too. Her hands are not ridiculously small but they aren't man hands either.

I had some ideas in mind and left with only 2-3 guns that I liked holding. I HAVE NOT SHOT ANY OF THEM. Before purchase I will be taking a safety class at a minimum. Done plenty of shotgun shooting and some rifle...but no handguns besides a Luger (Nazi pistol... ) and a .38 special revolver.

Sig Sauer P229: I loved the grip (sandpaper style)...best feeling gun I felt out of about 20 different models and makers (all semi 9's) and I never worried about losing grip.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p229.aspx

Three problems/questions: I swear on my life the price said $1099.00 and it was the base model. That same model online at Gander is $899.00 and around $800 elsewhere. Anyone run into this issue?
2nd Q: The gun seemed a little more complicated than say...the springfield. Maybe because it was a DA/SA??? It had a lot more toggles and switches than I was expecting. The release for the clip however was perfect.
3rd Q: What are the real differences between the P229 and P226? I've heard some say the P226 is stamped steel where others say all new P226s are solid steel...others say the P226 is a little larger on the grip (circumference) and a slightly longer barrel so it's better for HD since there should be less recoil. Seen other people that swear they shoot better with the P229. Also...why is the P229 more expensive...it's smaller.

SA XD-M 9: Loved the double safety feature (on the back of the grip and the middle thing on the trigger...forgive my ignorance on the terms ). Hated the grip compared to the Sig...that chunky plastic stuff is weird for a grip and it seems that most manufacturers are using that over the Sig's option, but otherwise was quite nice to hold and was definitely lighter (polymer frame...duh).

http://www.the-m-factor.com/html/specs_5.html

SW M&P Compact 9 (not the shield model...didn't carry it): Was hoping to see the Shield model...felt nice enough...was a little on the low side for price ($550) so I somewhat, in my idiotic newb brain, question the quality/reliability. Loved how the magzine had that little bit of extra grip so my pinkie could attach to the grip instead of falling to the wayside.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Seller was a former vet from Gulf War who had pretty extensive experience with handguns and a whole lot more. He agreed that a 9mm sounded like the right course because a .45 might produce too much recoil for my wife in a panic.

Also, I know I want a tactical light mounted to the accessory rail. Any suggestions on a brand?

I did not pick up a single glock (sorry glockman). I've read a lot about them (always fire even in mud and shat) but I've also read about the awkward grip angle. To be frank, I'll probably check them out anyways...but I didn't at the time. Guy told me that a 1911 series would probably not be for me and/or the mouth since they are single magazine (low capacity), large, and have a lot of internals that need regular maintenance (springs???). Kinda confused about that since it seems a ton of people have 1911's and they were a staple for WWII and beyond...thoughts?

He didn't have the Berretta 92FS. The HK 40 was too expensive and didn't feel right...same with HK USP Tactical. Quality, just not the right feel.

Also...as far as I have read...first priority with these guns is comfort...if the gun doesn't fit you'll shoot like crap. Second priority should be to shoot the gun before you buy since it seems that almost everybody has regrets (expensive and cheap guns alike). Been reading that I should go to a range and "rent" these guns. How much does that cost on average?

Any other gun suggestions or affirmations or denials of the statements above? My original budget for the gun was $750 or less, and then some for accessories, ammo, safety course, and a gun safe (small one obviously).

Any locations for Ranges/local gun stores in the Raleigh, NC area?

Last edited by ryanwhite74115; 10-31-2012 at 11:22 AM.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Im on my phone and can't type up a more coherent/longer post....but I definitely feel you did the right thing. Feeling the guns in hand is a huge step in buying te gun for YOU.

All picks you listed are well known pistols that have a record of working well. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

That said, I have a newly used sig 229 in 9mm that I'm selling.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
That said, I have a newly used sig 229 in 9mm that I'm selling.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Nice job in doing at least this much leg work to find the right gun.

The S&W M&P9 is a fantastic gun and is very reliable, don't let the price fool you.

If you didn't like the Springfield XD-m, then try the non-M. I had the same issue with the M vs the non M grips and ended up getting a normal XD9 as I found it more comfortable to hold than anything else. I'm not accurate enough for the gun to be the limitation anyway.

For Tac lights, I have a Streamlight TLR-1.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Well, it's good that you did research before going and checking stuff out. And it's also good that you went there with a fairly open mind and aside from th Glock, didn't really limit yourself on what you looked at.

All the guns you liked are high quality. The P229 is one of sigs most popular pistols if I recall. As for the price, they are pretty expensive. Maybe it had night sights that were an add-on or something? Otherwise, you can always order it onlineand save the money + the tax...just gave to pay the transfer fee.

The XD-M is very popular and by all accounts that I've read, loved by people who have them. They have a large ammo capacity and plenty of safety features.

Over the years, I've slowly started to like S&W again. Years back, I thought they were absolute junk (sigma line for instance). Now, they're one of the most highly rated pistols out there at a great price.

When people say the first priority is comfort, they are most likely referring to being comfortable (aka. confident) shooting it, not simply comfortable holding it in your hands. That being said, there is something to be said about being comfortable with the design and feel of the weapon and not being intimidated by it.

You're on the right track; I'd go and rent a few. Generally, the cost is Range time (10-15 bucks) + ammunition (50 rounds per gun probably) + the rental. Now, some places rent on a gun-by-gun basis and each gun rents for like 10 bucks all afternoon. But some ranges will charge you like $20 for all day rentals and for that, you can shoot every gun in the case. You have to buy ammo from them though.

That is exactly what I tell people to do; go shoot them.

A comment about the shield; it's a fantastic gun and I highly recommend you seek one out to pick up and have a look at. Trouble is, I very much doubt you'll find one to rent. They're very in-demand at the moment. If you keep an eye on the range, you might get lucky and see one who has one that might let you run a few rounds through it though.

Your budget is reasonable, certainly for the S&W or the Springfield. You won't stay under it with the Sig.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
tattooed_sailor
No Such User

My Ride: E34 535i
Definitely go shoot them. If they fit your hand thats great, but to actually use it...

I love Sig's triggers above most other stock triggers. But that is my hand and experience, you really need to get out and try them all.
tattooed_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
daedalus34r

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
yea give the glock a look. It's easy to pick on it based on what you read or how it looks, but you can't deny how it will feel and shoot. It shot just fine when i used it, and that's what counts the most.

Minor threadjack: what do the experts here feel about the HK USP9? It's in a similar price range what OP is looking at. I personally am tempted to pick it up.
daedalus34r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Rush4theYehO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
yea give the glock a look. It's easy to pick on it based on what you read or how it looks, but you can't deny how it will feel and shoot. It shot just fine when i used it, and that's what counts the most.

Minor threadjack: what do the experts here feel about the HK USP9? It's in a similar price range what OP is looking at. I personally am tempted to pick it up.
Used to have two, fill size ad compact in 9. The gun is dead nuts reliable, but what made me unload mine were the mushy trigger, expensive magazines and wonky mag release. Accurate and reliable though. The usp is still being used in European police/military circles too. How much is the asking price?? Is it new or used?

*edit - the usp, that is

Last edited by Rush4theYehO; 10-31-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
daedalus34r

Quote:
How much is the asking price?? Is it new or used?

*edit - the usp, that is
I think the MSRP is $800~900. Im going to start browsing the local shops to see if what the latest pricing is.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
research smesearch...

buy a Glock

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #11
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
research smesearch...

buy a Glock
coming from the guy who if i recall correctly has been touting the newer S&Ws...

About the USP9...I only have the .45, but I love it. Magazines are crazy expensive though...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
coming from the guy who if i recall correctly has been touting the newer S&Ws...

About the USP9...I only have the .45, but I love it. Magazines are crazy expensive though...
Yea, well, ya know...

I hate reading.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Rush4theYehO

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
I think the MSRP is $800~900. Im going to start browsing the local shops to see if what the latest pricing is.
For a USP? No way. That sounds like a new gun. You can find police used USP's for $5-600
Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
I'd get a m9 or a 92fs. Large capacity mag, DA/SA with decocker and less recoil than a glock so your wife will be happy. Theres .22 kits out there also for cheap plinking.

It's large for CC but for a HD gun its ideal.

No experiance what so ever.... I suggest a glock. Just pull the trigger.

Seems you like the luger, there with in your price range. A bit dated but they still work..I carry mine from time to time.

If you want to make the trip up I'm near blacksburg VA, I'm at the range every sunday. Between me and a couple of my friends theres not many guns that we dont have. Just tell us what you want to shoot and I'll find it for you, just bring ammo. I've got access to everything from antique colts to belt fed m2hb fifties and a couple silenced submachine guns.

Last edited by tailo; 10-31-2012 at 07:44 PM.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post
I'd get a m9 or a 92fs. Large capacity mag, DA/SA with decocker and less recoil than a glock so your wife will be happy. Theres .22 kits out there also for cheap plinking.

It's large for CC but for a HD gun its ideal.

No experiance what so ever.... I suggest a glock. Just pull the trigger.

Seems you like the luger, there with in your price range. A bit dated but they still work..I carry mine from time to time.

If you want to make the trip up I'm near blacksburg VA, I'm at the range every sunday. Between me and a couple of my friends theres not many guns that we dont have. Just tell us what you want to shoot and I'll find it for you, just bring ammo. I've got access to everything from antique colts to belt fed m2hb fifties and a couple silenced submachine guns.
Trigger pull is SO heavy on those guns.

OP - Go out and shoot. I have a M&P40c and my dad has a M&P9c. Wouldn't buy anything else.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
daedalus34r

Quote:
For a USP? No way. That sounds like a new gun. You can find police used USP's for $5-600
yea i believe that is new msrp. I would be down for a good condition used in that price range if it's available.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Another vote for glock
I went to the range disliking glock based on the design and how it felt in my hand (felt like a toy to me)
But ended up leaving the range liking glock over everything else
I shot the most accurately with glocks and have grown to love the design now

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
bmwdude330

My Ride: E46 330i ZHP
M&P 9 pro. You won't be disappointed.
bmwdude330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
bought my Glock 21 about 8 years ago, it's still my favorite handgun, and still the one that stays next to the bed.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
GlockMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
bought my Glock 21 about 8 years ago, it's still my favorite handgun, and still the one that stays next to the bed.
I had a 21 and 21sf. Still regret selling them.

2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci