E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
HPF Kris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: My Dreams
Thumbs Up The HPF Hood Was Born

Yes... Yes.... Yes! The HPF hood is now on full throttle. We met up w/ the guys at Advance Composite Systems today to talk about how we are now ready to go full speed on getting this hood manufactured. A great meeting with the guys and are very excited to see the progress of the HPF Hood. Definitely stay tuned!

HPF Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
808elise

My Ride: OG E46 M3/AW E46 M3
So that colored one is the style you guys decided to go with?
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Beamer Creamer

My Ride: 2005 bmw m3
Looks pretty good but i would also like to see a painted ram air hood. Not the typical center mount but a twin ram with only the drivers functional
Beamer Creamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
mkodama

Looks non-functional and reminds me of a modded Honda.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Looks aggressive, the one thing that people like myself love about the E46 M is the bulge in the hood. Don't know how the community will react if that is lost with this. I'd like to see one before I judge it.

co-founder of
euro techniks

Last edited by NorthJersey 3er; 11-03-2012 at 07:45 PM.
NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Aka an invader hood. I really like the looks of the invader hood, and if done well could match the bulge of the M3 hood judging by the drawings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
JaayT

My Ride: e46 M3 Vert
Looks similar to my Asuka Design hood
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
808elise

My Ride: OG E46 M3/AW E46 M3
God forbid u get caught in rain looks like a mess in engine compartment. I am waiting a design that exhausts more with out making a mess.

M///
My Journal II
VFE570 - DIXIS - TWC WIDEBODY - AP RACING - KW V2
M///
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
M3LIKECHIPS

My Ride: Prius
Asuka will never be one-upped. Its the best example of an aftermarket hood, period.

Last edited by M3LIKECHIPS; 11-05-2012 at 04:29 AM.
M3LIKECHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LIKECHIPS View Post
Asuka will never be one-upped. Its the best example of an aftermarket hood, period.
The HPF hood is:

#1) Made in the USA
#2) No fiberglass fillers. These hoods are 100% carbon fiber with a "core" center for added strength and lighter weight.
#3) Top AND BOTTOM layers of the hood are 100% carbon fiber. Not fiberglass.
#4) Designed as a DIAB sandwich core using the same method that Koenigsegg uses to build their cars. This is done for added strength and reduced weight.
#4) Comes with a UV Marine Clear Coat built in, not primered or painted to cover up defects.
#5) Has OEM quality fitment.
#6) Includes a 12 month limited warranty from Advanced Composite Systems. This warranty covers surfaced defects such as crazing of the topcoat, fading and disoloration of the topcoat, and chipping or checking not associated with damaged related to acts of God, misuse, abuse, negligence, road damage or installation damage. Nor does it warrant against damage associated with shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane
Tell me about the vents. Can they be closed in the rain or some sort of diverter system in it?

I do like the look of the thing.
Thanks. We will develop the hood so that an under vent rain diverter can be added to keep the engine dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysm3
love it
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip1098
Version 2 is better, but It almost looks like some of the other hoods already out there. What iff the vents were more inboard, smaller and moved further up the hood so exhaust heat would be vacuumed out? Then either plumb up an intake tube for the drivers side or have it blocked off so rain wont get in on that side.... Just toying with ideas.
Thanks. I definitely agree with the rain block. The GTR style hood has the vents more forward and circular and the Asuka style hood has the vents more rearward and inward. We've looked at these other hood styles but have pulled away from trying to match the identical locations or styles of either M3 hoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scca_ziptie
Removable 'plates/blockoffs' for the vents on the sides of the hood would make it a pretty slick deal for the street going crowd - open holes would probably turn off quite a few potential customers considering the amount of water that would make it's way into the engine bay (especially on the driver's side where the HID ballast would be pretty much directly below one of the cutouts).
I agree. I think rain getting onto the engine will deter some customers from buying the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60motorsports
Looks fantastic
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808elise
Well it looks a lot like a vorsteiner product minus fins and a larger bulge. I like the larger more e92 style bulge but I want exhausting to come out the back of it and somehow tie into the windshield gutter so it does not leak a ton of water into the engine bay. If someone would develop a hood that can exhaust without the mess it would sell. I do like that bulge though.
I like the larger e92 bulge as well. The HPF carbon fiber hood will seal to the existing OEM location by the window so there will be no rain coming in from the windshiled gutter.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Chris.
HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
///m3some

My Ride: Gintani S/C E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to ///m3some
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF Chris View Post

Thanks. We will develop the hood so that an under vent rain diverter can be added to keep the engine dry.

Thanks. I definitely agree with the rain block. The GTR style hood has the vents more forward and circular and the Asuka style hood has the vents more rearward and inward. We've looked at these other hood styles but have pulled away from trying to match the identical locations or styles of either M3 hoods.

Chris.

Rain/Car wash shield lol....If you guys do in fact make the hood that has that option i will remove my vorsteiner that day and put an order in ASAP.

SPECIAL THANKS TO GINTANI & OE TUNING
///m3some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
M3_Aaron

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
HPF Chris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 M3, 2006 530i
Quote:
What made me want to have our own hood is shown in the video below. This was my M3 and an Asuka hood. My thinking was why do I have to put a set of extra hood latches to keep the hood down. Shouldn't the hood be strong enough to simply use the factory mounting locations without it breaking apart?

The second thing that made me realize this is when I closed the hood on Jason's Asuka widebody M3 the hood buckled at the point where the passenger hinge meets the hood. Shouldn't there be a hood that can open and close without it flexing at the rear hinges? In both cases I had to buy a new hood, one for me and one for Jason.

After getting a new Asuka hood on the HPF M3, I added two extra hood latches up front to keep it from flying off and replaced both hinges since they were ripped out of the car. Then I raced the HPF m3 on several tracks hitting fairly high speeds. At PIR I get to 160mph at the end of the front and rear straight. At these speeds the end of the hood closest to the windshield shakes up and down violently as if it's going to blow off again. Luckily it's not enough to break the hood but what will happen at 200mph even with the hood latches?

Now that's just talking about rigidity. I don't want a hood that requires pins to not fly off and shakes around at high speed. That's where the HPF M3 hood comes in. This is one of the main problems we are addressing with the new hood design.

HPF Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #14
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Looks non-functional and reminds me of a modded Honda.
This. Wtf.

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #15
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Neato. I'd never buy it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #16
SledgeHammer!

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Looks tacky from the drawings. Might be nicer IRL, but going off the drawings... pass...
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
HPF Kris
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: My Dreams
Meeting up with Advanced Composite Systems yesterday, we had a pleasure to watch the master Art Director Kris draw the version of the hood we wanted from scratch. All he needed was a description, a pencil, and a blank sheet of paper.

This might not be the final version as well. The hood will be tweaked here and there... but just know, this was how it all started.

Provided by: http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com
Music: Kezwik - The Traveler

HPF Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
M3LIKECHIPS

My Ride: Prius
IMO, a fancy video showing 0 to no progress on a hood design that nobody (on any forum for that matter) is digging doesnt help sell a product that nobody is interested in.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Beamer Creamer

I think nothing new in the world of hoods was done here. Try diff variations of changing of the kidneys!! i know lots wont like it and im probably one of them but im sure there is a way to tweek with them and make a new design. It has been alottt of years. Im sure i'll get hate for this but if chris can draw that fast he should go on wild side then slowly tone it back till mixes with rest of body or make a full kit
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
Beamer Creamer

Dont be so mean thats nice doodling. Try again with powerbuldge cowl induction type invader fins