E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
MTREEZY

My Ride: 05 M3
Grinding Noise from Rear of car

So I think that the problem is that i need to change the differential fluid but i'm not exactly sure. I've done it before but this would be the second time i'd have to do it and I have only 48,000 miles on my 2005 Bmw M3. I have a video clip of the noise is making. If anyone can shed any more light please feel to chime in.

Last edited by MTREEZY; 11-08-2012 at 07:28 PM.
MTREEZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
I like the comment in the video "could be brake dust." Haha, definitely not. What it does sound like is the brake dust shield rubbing on the rotor as the car moves. Have you checked it to see if it is contacting the rotor? Maybe a rock lodged between the shield and rotor?

If your diff was making that kind of sound, your car more than likely wouldn't be moving.. And if it actually ends up being the diff that is making that noise, changing the fluid in the 'new replacement diff' is probably what you should do.

Seriously though, check the dust shield for debris/warp.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #3
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Dude - that is a small rock stuck between the rotor and the dust shield that is located on the backside of the rotor, or it is the rotor rubbing against aforementioned dust shield. I had this same noise after haphazardly cutting (and I must have inadvertently bent the dust shield) so that it rubbed against the rotor when I installed my Brembo rear bbk. Remove the rear wheel, get a long screwdriver and insert it between the rotor and dust shield, then perform a prying motion all around the rotor's perimeter to move the dust shield away from the rotor.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
Dude - that is a small rock stuck between the rotor and the dust shield that is located on the backside of the rotor, or it is the rotor rubbing against aforementioned dust shield. I had this same noise after haphazardly cutting (and I must have inadvertently bent the dust shield) so that it rubbed against the rotor when I installed my Brembo rear bbk. Remove the rear wheel, get a long screwdriver and insert it between the rotor and dust shield, then perform a prying motion all around the rotor's perimeter to move the dust shield away from the rotor.

This sounds exactly right to me. I have had this happen two or 3 times. Twice I was able to reach through the wheel and push on the shield and hear the rock drop out. Another time it was really jammed and I had to pull the wheel off.
sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
Could also be something in the e-brake drum. It might be worthwhile to take it apart, clean it up a bit, and adjust anything (I suggest doing so without disassembling the drum pads from their mounting because the springs are pretty stiff to reattach, but doable).
Slyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
S54Dan

My Ride: '05 M3 '03 ZHP
Sounds like a rock in between your brakes

Edit: oops just saw it was posted above

2005 M3 6MT | Weekend toy & Track rat
2003 330i ZHP 6MT | Wife Mobile
1994 325i 5MT | DD
Instagram @S54Dan

Last edited by S54Dan; 11-09-2012 at 07:32 AM.
S54Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
MTREEZY

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to get the car up on the jacks and check the shield for debris as suggested and will report back. Hopefully that is all that is..
Old 11-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
MTREEZY

So no debris has fallen out of the rotor/dust guard. But when fiddling with it, it did make a noise that sounded like the dust guard was bent back into place.. I have no heard any further noise. Thanks again
Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Lmfao brake dust !!
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
dilburt

My Ride: 2004 M3
Rear brake rotor shield

If I recall correctly, there was a service bulletin regarding e46 rear rotor shields around that model year. It was related to heat causing the shields to warp and contact the rotor which made a grinding noise like this. I believe they issued a replacement shield part that solved the problem.

D
dilburt is offline   Reply With Quote