E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
DStein

My Ride: 2005 325xi (E46)
Wheels -Hard to pass up

Howdy,

I found a set of Style 71s for $600 that have some rash, but nothing ridiculous. They are 18x8 and 18x8.5 on the width, and ET 47 front, ET 50 rear.

I have a 2005 325xi on stock suspension. Will they fit? If not, should I buy them anyway for the deal?

I did some searching on the fitment and I think the answer is no, but I want some opinions on the buy. Also, I saw some discouragement on running staggered for Xi. Please focus on my question and help me with this decision.

Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited by DStein; 11-11-2012 at 02:07 AM.
DStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
The tire diameter difference is too large for an XI. I heard that is should be less than 1%, this 1010tires site had it greater than 3%. Also, rims with an M3 offset will not fit on 325.
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecal...?action=submit

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
DStein

Bump - need some better feedback - hoping to purchase these tonight.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Hoebama

My Ride: e46
Op you'll get a more educated answer once the mod transfers your thread
> here

Or you may wanna beat the mod and copy and paste your post over there at the TireRack forum.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStein View Post
Bump - need some better feedback - hoping to purchase these tonight.
The guy gave you better feedback. Worse feedback would be sure they'll fit just fine. No worries.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Your going to blow up your transfer case if you run those rims

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Arnezie

My Ride: 04 325XI
Look for a nice square set for your car. Or buy these and post a thread in a couple months that will be titled "my transmission just went out"
Arnezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
DStein

I feel like I'm getting hated on here... just asking a question. I'm hearing a lot of horrible things, but have yet to read any horror stories/see any evidence.Can someone explain how this wheel size is going to cause problems with transfer case or transmission? It's a little extra width, but how is this going to cause such a drastic impact?

I also read that using the same size tire on both wheels (since it's only a .5 inch difference) might mitigate the effect of the staggered setup. I'm not opposed to running identical 225s or 235s on the front and back. What do you think? Does this make sense, or will the tire still be the same since it would stretch to fill the 8.5" regardless of tire width.

I get that staggered on an Xi doesn't really fit the purpose, but I'm in Texas and don't really utilize the AWD capabilities as it is. Also, I was going to put this in the wheel/tire section, but I thought it'd get more attention in the main forums and I also was inquiring about value, think the general forum would give that more attention. Feel free to move me - sorry.

Thanks!

Last edited by DStein; 11-11-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
E46330iguy

Your bit getting hate, Your getting Real Answers, When the transfer case is supplying power to the wheels its locking at least two of the wheels together (In our cars) and THE MUST spin at the same time, So if you have differnt sized tires that change the diameter or weight one is going to want to spin faster or slower and cause problems, You asked us for help and dont want to listen to us, Go ahead and buy them see what happens.

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
DStein

Previously I felt I was getting statements with no explanation - I hear what you're saying, but you're coming off snippy. Did I ever say I didn't want to listen to you? Not at all.

PLEASE see Post #7 here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1246061

Thoughts on what this guy is saying vs. what you're telling me?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #11
E46330iguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStein View Post
Previously I felt I was getting statements with no explanation - I hear what you're saying, but you're coming off snippy. Did I ever say I didn't want to listen to you? Not at all.

PLEASE see Post #7 here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1246061

Thoughts on what this guy is saying vs. what you're telling me?

Thanks
I wouldnt Run a tire that was difference in size to the others at all, it puts stress on the transfer case, It works no different in a pickup truck, I have owned 4x4's my whole life, Pretty much the only one that isnt is my car, I made the same mistake you are about to make on a truck But not staggered, The Chain in the transfer case blew threw the side much like this one, My advice is dont do it the same advice others have given you, if you dont want to listen thats fine but i wont be posting in here anymore

Old 11-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
DStein

Hey thanks for the reply - definitely want to avoid that situation. It sounds like in order to run staggered on AWDs you need to have an almost exact match on the rolling diameter. This would be tough to pull off. Good chance I won't run these unless I feel like I can match the rolling diameters.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
DStein

-------------------------------------
UPDATE:

After much thought, I think I may run 225/40/18 Front and 255/35/18 Rear. Using tire size calculators, this would be just a 0.2% change in rolling diameter (also about 1" diameter less in rear than current size to help with fitment).

I also discovered they are equipping the newer stock x-drives with a staggered bigger % difference (although this maybe programmed/accounted for). Thanks for helping me understand the potential issues. I realize it's a risk... if I'm feeling ballsy, I might give it a shot.

Thank you!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
Yeah all that counts for AWD is that the overall diameter is the same, or within tolerances. Tire & rim widths have no impact. According to rimsntires calculator http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp they are 0.1" difference. If that is within AWD tolerances then you are good to go.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #15
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Besides diameters, it also has to do with turning radius and how the rear wheels/tires follow the front through the turn, which was all taken into consideration from an engineering perspective when the transfer case was designed and matched to the drive train. A staggered setup could impact this; how much I don't know.

The rear wheels are 12.7mm / 2 - 3mm wider than than the fronts, or 3.7mm (on each side from the centerline of the differential to the outside of the wheel). I'm pretty sure this is a negligable difference but I'm not the engineer that designed it.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
DStein

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
Besides diameters, it also has to do with turning radius and how the rear wheels/tires follow the front through the turn, which was all taken into consideration from an engineering perspective when the transfer case was designed and matched to the drive train. A staggered setup could impact this; how much I don't know.

The rear wheels are 12.7mm / 2 - 3mm wider than than the fronts, or 3.7mm (on each side from the centerline of the differential to the outside of the wheel). I'm pretty sure this is a negligable difference but I'm not the engineer that designed it.

Yeah, I would agree that it would be engineered to a certain spec and that that might cause additional stress on the transfer case. Like you said, hard to say how much? I now own the wheels... we'll see. I might risk it, might not. If I do I will proceed with tire sizes like I stated in my post above.