E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
m3ane46

My Ride: 02 smg 2
bigger calipers

is there any caliper kit other than paying 3k or more for bigger rotors ?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
M3LIKECHIPS

My Ride: Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ane46 View Post
is there any caliper kit other than paying 3k or more for bigger rotors ?
I run the Stoptech ST40 kit, under 3K and excellent, especially if you plan on running 18" wheels.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LIKECHIPS View Post
I run the Stoptech ST40 kit, under 3K and excellent, especially if you plan on running 18" wheels.
+1 St-40 kit, 355mm rotor is still under $3k, or if you really want to go inexpensive, there is a 332mm rotor kit with the St-40 which we can get you here:

Stoptech Big Brake Kit BMW E46 M3

PM/Email or call if you have any questions - 714.582.3330 extension 8002 - just ask for Jurrian when you call in!

Sales | Sales@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
OP - Keep an eye open on the "Classified" / "For Sale" section. There are Fellahs selling brake kits all the time on this Forum and on M3Forum.net. Like anything related to the M3, nothing is going to be inexpensive, and this is what I want to give you a heads up on.

Here is a summary of what it cost me recently to service my BBK... The least expensive 380 x 25 Brembo rotor I could find was at Tire Rack for $400 dollars for ONE cross drilled rotor. You need two so you can do the math. I also wanted a slightly more aggressive pad for the Brembo 6 piston caliper, cough up $420 at Porterfield for a set of R4-S pads. It is recommended to change out the "pins" that hold the rotor onto the aluminum hat, cough up another $140 bux! Add two bottles of Motul 600 for $50 more dollars. Yeesh.

So when it comes time to replace/refurbish your BBK, you have been properly forewarned, your wallet will be lightened quite a bit. Take a few minutes to consider your buying and maintenance costs, and compare that with the money you have set aside, and if everything looks good and spending this kind of dough won't cause you to go on a diet of top ramen noodles for 2 months, then do it, but if it does not fit into your budget, consider another way forward. I will admit there are better ways to use this kind of money - savings, investing, helping your church/tithing, pay down bills, you name it, there's an endless list of tasks which that money can take care of. Choose wisely.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_doggg7 View Post
OP - Keep an eye open on the "Classified" / "For Sale" section. There are Fellahs selling brake kits all the time on this Forum and on M3Forum.net. Like anything related to the M3, nothing is going to be inexpensive, and this is what I want to give you a heads up on.

Here is a summary of what it cost me recently to service my BBK... The least expensive 380 x 25 Brembo rotor I could find was at Tire Rack for $400 dollars for ONE cross drilled rotor. You need two so you can do the math. I also wanted a slightly more aggressive pad for the Brembo 6 piston caliper, cough up $420 at Porterfield for a set of R4-S pads. It is recommended to change out the "pins" that hold the rotor onto the aluminum hat, cough up another $140 bux! Add two bottles of Motul 600 for $50 more dollars. Yeesh.

So when it comes time to replace/refurbish your BBK, you have been properly forewarned, your wallet will be lightened quite a bit. Take a few minutes to consider your buying and maintenance costs, and compare that with the money you have set aside, and if everything looks good and spending this kind of dough won't cause you to go on a diet of top ramen noodles for 2 months, then do it, but if it does not fit into your budget, consider another way forward. I will admit there are better ways to use this kind of money - savings, investing, helping your church/tithing, pay down bills, you name it, there's an endless list of tasks which that money can take care of. Choose wisely.
+1

My 355mm Alcon kit has a sale pending right now, but if they buyer backs out it could still be available - agreed on $1,900 +shipping costs (less than 500 street miles on them). It can be done, but as Lucky stated - careful, there are hidden 'costs' that can add up quickly.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Op I can put you in touch with my contacts at Rotora (sponsored my car) and I can likely get you similar pricing for your car (would be around what you're looking to spend for a 6 piston 355mm front kit)

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Op I can put you in touch with my contacts at Rotora (sponsored my car) and I can likely get you similar pricing for your car (would be around what you're looking to spend for a 6 piston 355mm front kit)
I'm interested. How much for the 6 piston 355mm set? How do you like the Rotoras? How would you compare them to Brembos or Stoptech?