E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
teomanx

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Unhappy Engine speed increases but car did not respond

Hello,

I really need your help and advice.
Just a couple of minutes ago,I've had a problem with my car.While I was driving the car, for a couple of seconds I realized that there was a problem with the acceleration.Because when I step on the gas pedal,the speed of the car did not increase.The engine speed on the tachometer increased but the car did not respond.What can be the problem?

I am waiting for your responses.

Thank you.
teomanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Car is in gear yes? lol

Could be the clutch as gone out or any part of that system the engages the gears...

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
vicariously13

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Did your EML light come on and then turn off? It could be a weird thing with the Auto transmission. Have it checked. It happened to me once when I had a 2000 328i.

No real mods... just loads of maintenance
vicariously13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
teomanx

I did not check the EML Light but I do not remember that any light went on.
I will check it again.
Can this problem be related with transmission?
I am asking this because a couple of months ago,I had a problem with the reverse gear.Then it disappeared.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
Sounds like your clutch is a goner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
If manual, your clutch is done. Put it in 5th and low speeds and floor it to confirm--you'll know it's bad.
If auto, your torque converter isn't working properly. This is bad news.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
mkodama

If manual, your pressure plate went kaput, if auto/steptronic your car is in safe mode and you'll have a gear with an exclamation mark inside it on your cluster.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
teomanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
If manual, your pressure plate went kaput, if auto/steptronic your car is in safe mode and you'll have a gear with an exclamation mark inside it on your cluster.
Thank you for the response mkodama. But I could not understand what you mean.Could you please explain it in detail?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teomanx View Post
Thank you for the response mkodama. But I could not understand what you mean.Could you please explain it in detail?
Do you have a warning light on your dash.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
teomanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Do you have a warning light on your dash.
Brake pads wear sensors not working.Because of this,brake pad sensor light is on.And the airbag indicator light is on because there is a fault at seat occupancy detector.

There is not any warning light on related to engine/transmission/EML .
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
Definitely put it in 5th/6th and rev it up and if it goes up then its the clutch

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
You need to tell us if you have an auto or a manual. This definitely has to do with the transmission either way.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
teomanx

Sorry for incomplete information,it has Automatic transmission.
I just drove the car and EML light didn't come on.
While driving,sometimes I decelerated the speed and then try to set on the gas pedal but again the car did not respond.Then I removed my foot from the gas pedal and after a second again set on the gas pedal hardly.Then car responded and accelerated.
This scene occurred a couple of times.
By the way , the reverse gear is not working now.As I said before,a couple of months ago,I had a problem with the reverse gear.Then it disappeared.But now it has appeared.

Now regarding these new information,do you still think the problem is at torque converter?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I would think the transmission would be throwing a SES light with a torque converter slip code.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #15
teomanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I would think the transmission would be throwing a SES light with a torque converter slip code.
Thanks WDE46.
Do you mean that there is a problem at torque converter with slip code?If yes,then should I change it?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
teomanx

2 days ago, I took my car to a mechanic.Before going to the mechanic, reverse gear were not working.The mechanic sat on the driver seat for a test drive and reverse gear started to work.It was really interesting.
He drove the car at very high speeds and tried to test the transmission.The car did not do the respond problem I explained before.Mechanic said that the car is shifting at high gears very smoothly but at low gears shifting makes noise.
After the test drive, mechanic told me that the problem was in the transmission,not at torque converter or any other thing.He said that the transmission was failing.He recommended me to change /rebuilt the transmission and quoted $3000-$3300 price for the transmission.It was too much for me because I am a graduate student.He made this decision without checking the other parts of the car.Do you think this is normal?Can a mechanic make a such decision without checking the other parts of the car?

After that,yesterday while I was driving,the car didn't respond again when I stepped on the gas pedal.I remember that I stepped into the gas pedal hardly and a couple of seconds later I realized the burning smell.Besides these, yesterday reverse gear was not working for a time and after that it started to work.
I searched these symptoms on google and found that transmission fluid should be checked.

I am really looking for your advices,recommendations.

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
2 days ago, I took my car to a mechanic.Before going to the mechanic, reverse gear were not working.The mechanic sat on the driver seat for a test drive and reverse gear started to work.It was really interesting.
He drove the car at very high speeds and tried to test the transmission.The car did not do the respond problem I explained before.Mechanic said that the car is shifting at high gears very smoothly but at low gears shifting makes noise.
After the test drive, mechanic told me that the problem was in the transmission,not at torque converter or any other thing.He said that the transmission was failing.He recommended me to change /rebuilt the transmission and quoted $3000-$3300 price for the transmission.It was too much for me because I am a graduate student.He made this decision without checking the other parts of the car.Do you think this is normal?Can a mechanic make a such decision without checking the other parts of the car?

After that,yesterday while I was driving,the car didn't respond again when I stepped on the gas pedal.I remember that I stepped into the gas pedal hardly and a couple of seconds later I realized the burning smell.Besides these, yesterday reverse gear was not working for a time and after that it started to work.
I searched these symptoms on google and found that transmission fluid should be checked.

I am really looking for your advices,recommendations.

Thank you.
the 328's had GM transmissions if I remember correctly. the reverse going in and out is due to dirty transmission fluid clogging up the reverse solenoid filter causing the reverse solenoid malfunction. the solution is to drop the pan and drop the valve body and clean it. if you in there might as well clean all the other 4 solenoid that controls shifting.
this is why lifetime transmission is such a BS.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
teomanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
the 328's had GM transmissions if I remember correctly. the reverse going in and out is due to dirty transmission fluid clogging up the reverse solenoid filter causing the reverse solenoid malfunction. the solution is to drop the pan and drop the valve body and clean it. if you in there might as well clean all the other 4 solenoid that controls shifting.
this is why lifetime transmission is such a BS.
Thank you very much.I hope so.
So you think that I may not have to change the transmission,right?
I think I should take my car to another mechanic.
If I clean the reverse solenoid and do what you said,would it be enough and would I get a chance to drive the car for a couple of months?
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Thank you very much.I hope so.
So you think that I may not have to change the transmission,right?
I think I should take my car to another mechanic.
If I clean the reverse solenoid and do what you said,would it be enough and would I get a chance to drive the car for a couple of months?
yes, most likely you can get some out of it without dropping the transmission.
see this post how to fix the reverse.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
mkodama

Yup, sadly the automatic transmissions are known for failures with the E46, compared to the manuals which have almost non-existent failures. Nothing is really going to affect rough shifts or not getting to reverse aside from the transmission.

$3000 is what I had to have my transmission rebuilt including all parts and labor.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote