E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Photography

Photography

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Going to get into photography

Hey guys, I think I'm going to use some of my bonus money on a DSLR, maybe a lens and some filters.

I will probably wait till Black Friday/Cyber Monday for deals unless you guys see something worth buying now.

Looking to spend say $500 on the camera with stock lens and maybe a polarizing filter to start. Then later I will get a better lens.

D3100, T3 or if it's worth it the D5100. Any suggestions I would appreciate. Thanks again. My sig pic was taken with my friends Rebel XT and a crappy memory card.

Last edited by Solidjake; 11-16-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
inb4 Canon vs Nikon arguement.

I'll recommend the Rebel series. It's where I started and I loved it. You likely won't be able to get into it for anything less than ~$700 for a decent set up though.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
You cannot go wrong with any of the entry level DSLR's on the market right now.

You just have to get your hands on both makes and see which one is more comfortable for you.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post

You just have to get your hands on both makes and see which one is more comfortable for you.
^
Old 11-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post

+1

Having said that....Canon

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I will probably wait till Black Friday/Cyber Monday for deals unless you guys see something worth buying now.
Isn't that like only a week from now? I would say just wait and get some really good deals. As for what kind of camera. Like the guys say, chose what you are comfortable with. When people get real into it then from what I've seen they upgrade to Canon 5D Mark iii. I started with a Canon Rebel XS and jumped to a 5d mark ii because I grew out of the rebel fast. I would say start with a t2i or t3i.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for Nikon and Canon entry cameras, what are the main differences without starting an argument, thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
s3th

My Ride: 05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

As for Nikon and Canon entry cameras, what are the main differences without starting an argument, thanks.
Different places for the buttons. Different shutter sounds. I've noticed to zoom in with the lens on a Nikon stock lens is the opposite way than on a Canon.

500px
s3th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:

Adding to what was already said. Canon gives you free editing software. Nikon you get a free trial w/option to purchase. When you compare the entry level side by side, you will see that Nikon has a slight edge on battery life. Video shoots a little bit better on Canon. Nikon has more lenses to choose from.

When I got my first DLSR I did what Gottalovethexi suggested. Put it in your hands first and see if you like it. Remember you are going to be shooting with this thing for awhile and you don't want to start hurting. Some users don't have that problem with grip. After I chose which brand, the salesman asked me if I was going to be shooting for a long time... meaning do I want something to grow with me. Having shot Film SLR for years this was a no brainer. Two - I don't want to buy anything that I can't use down the road.

Which is another thing I thought about. Some of these entry level cameras are very limited. You find a lot of people selling them and getting something in the midrange or semipro DSLR. Most do not know that you can find a used camera cheaper than the current line. The difference might be more megapixels or higher ISO (in the newer cameras). Which is not a huge factor because you can still get a decent print from a camera that shoots 5megapixels and even some poster size.

Check for deals online at http://www.bhphotovideo.com or http://www.adorama.com they offer free shipping and no tax

Last edited by saxual328ci; 11-18-2012 at 11:17 AM.
saxual328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxual328ci View Post
Adding to what was already said. Canon gives you free editing software. Nikon you get a free trial w/option to purchase. When you compare the entry level side by side, you will see that Nikon has a slight edge on battery life. Video shoots a little bit better on Canon. Nikon has more lenses to choose from.

When I got my first DLSR I did what Gottalovethexi suggested. Put it in your hands first and see if you like it. Remember you are going to be shooting with this thing for awhile and you don't want to start hurting. Some users don't have that problem with grip. After I chose which brand, the salesman asked me if I was going to be shooting for a long time... meaning do I want something to grow with me. Having shot Film SLR for years this was a no brainer. Two - I don't want to buy anything that I can't use down the road.

Which is another thing I thought about. Some of these entry level cameras are very limited. You find a lot of people selling them and getting something in the midrange or semipro DSLR. Most do not know that you can find a used camera cheaper than the current line. The difference might be more megapixels or higher ISO (in the newer cameras). Which is not a huge factor because you can still get a decent print from a camera that shoots 5megapixels and even some poster size.

Check for deals online at http://www.bhphotovideo.com or http://www.adorama.com they offer free shipping and no tax
I'll second this. For anybody looking to get a new camera, (new or old photographers) I would always consider checking out the used market. Even with the black friday deals coming around, still consider something that's lightly used. It could be a brand new model, or if you get something that's older you can a product that was originally placed higher in the product line.

Canon or Nikon, start out with the 18-55 and go from there.

If you go Nikon, I would say check out the 35 1.8 and 50 1.8 once you decide you want something faster.
Andy2108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
same shi+ different smell
bmw peeps and merc ppl same with nikon vs canon
suzuki vs yamaha...

I started with the canon t3i and its a good starter if you have a little more get the canon 7d more of medium level camera and a full frame and canon 17-55 f2.8 is a good lens for general use..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemwe_03i View Post
same shi+ different smell
bmw peeps and merc ppl same with nikon vs canon
suzuki vs yamaha...
Yep, Canon is the BMW, Nikon is the Merc though

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Alright. Thanks guys.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
I started with a d5000. I like it, but the lenses are somewhat expensive for an entry level camera.

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

True that, they go from $200 up. The video looks real nice on the 5100
Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #16
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Damn, that adorama site is nice
Old 11-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Some people say the Nikon autofocus is better.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

In regards to buying a used camera. Is it worth saving the extra $100??
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
In regards to buying a used camera. Is it worth saving the extra $100??
If you have plans of upgrading soon, why not?

That being said, Nikon vs. Canon is a lifetime commitment. It'd be tough to switch to the other once you get used to one. Go to dpreview.com and read reviews on entry level cameras.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #20
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Why don't u use the money for a photo class

No offense to anyone but I see too many crappy dslr pics

Some people can't frame for sh1t

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote