E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
sl0ride

My Ride: 330xi,e30,2002lemons
is 1 gal bmw coolant enough?

My 330 had orange coolant from the dealership, this may or may not have caused the upper hose to spring a leak. So i replaced the $50 upper hose... and purchased 2 gal of bmw coolant. Bled the **** outa the system by leaving the upper bleed off and topping off in the radiator fill till it came out clear, 6 total gal drained. I then emptied out the radiator and poured 1 gal of unmixed coolant in. It only took the 1 gal of coolant then maybe 1/8 of the distilled water i purchased. I live in MD where the lowest it gets is maybe 20F. Do you think ill be fine or should i drain the radiator again to add the 2nd gal of unmixed.

Im ticked i went out of my way to get the dam distilled water and 90% of the water is tap water after all. lesson learned i should have read more into the multiple drain plugs. At least we have good water here with low mineral content.
sl0ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
It had orange coolant from the dealer? That's pretty weird.

You'll be fine with that. In fact, you'll be way more than fine - your coolant is definitely not gonna freeze any time soon. It's probably better to have a 50/50 (or even 70/30), but as long as your car isn't overheating, you've got no worries.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
sl0ride

the "dealer" was a used car dealer.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I'm curious how you drained 6 gallons from a 2 gallon system. Your description of what you did is confusing.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
^Agreed. I don't follow at all.

1. Completely drain system. Open rad petcock and block drain plug. Wash coolant off of hands, arms, and face. Close drains.
2. Mix the coolant/distilled 50:50 in a separate container, then pour it in.
3. Bleed via the hundreds of DIYs on this forum.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Orange coolant--no sir. Not what a dealer would use. Someone has added other fluid, but never heard of a BMW dealer using anything but BMW blue coolant. Possible that your car was sent out to a radiator shop and they re-filled it. Orange may be the right fluid (since it is not Green) but not sure.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
330iPilot

My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Orange coolant is definitely not the right coolant that is DEXCOOL made for GM cooling systems. Flush out the entire system as soon as yo can and get a gallon of genuine BMW coolant from the dealer, it's about $25 so it's not terribly expensive and that's enough to do the whole system when diluted at 50% with distiller water. Make sure to use distiller water or you'll get mineral deposits in your system.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
OP - it's a 2 gallon system, so if you managed to get 1 gallon of antifreeze into it, and the rest is water, then you have a 50/50 mix as planned. Distilled water might have been better, but I'm not sure I'd drain it and start over. Just wait 2 years and do it again. You're fine.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
You're probably fine, OP...but we'll see!

What confused the guys with your 6 gals. is that you 'flushed' it through the bleeder screw.

Did you have the heater on while you were doing this, btw? If not, you'd still have orange in your heater core.

But, if you did this while the car was running with heater on, I'm sure you're fine...if you didn't have the heater open AND the car running then you should drain completely again...from engine block drain. If it comes out orange, fill with distilled, drive, cool, and drain again...then fill 50/50.

I don't think that just having the heater valve open is enough for the heater core to drain, but maybe I'm wrong. It may be that the return from the heater core is designed so that once it starts to drain, the rest is siphoned out...otherwise I guess it wouldn't drain whether the car was on or off. But, as you used bleeder and not engine drain, I'm not sure you're necessarily out of the woods.

Sorry if this is confusing...I'm a little confused myself! Someone will understand me and correct me, I'm sure!

That, or investigate possible bad interactions between orange and blue. JPR here had a great post on coolant...search him and organic coolant and you might find it...or google it.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 11-19-2012 at 11:17 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Based on my experience the coolant requirement is about 2 gallons to 2.5 gallons. I always buy two jugs of coolant. Any coolant that is left over goes in my trunk next to my extra quart of oil

sent from my dahc-6900 using Bimmer App
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
although the system takes two gallons , always get an extra gallon of distilled for bleeding purposes.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 11-19-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
sl0ride

dmax, after draining and filling the radiator 2x i was still getting orange. I decided to open the bleeder completely while adding more water through the rad cap, hence the 6+ gal. It was messy but i had the conical air filter off so coolant was just running down the frame rail. The car was running and warmed up with the heater blasted on, windows down. The car ended up taking another 1/4 gal after driving around a bit. I think ill leave it as is for now with tap water. I'm glad to hear its only a 2.5gal volume, so my mix is almost dead on. Thanks for the pointers all!